Heavenstrike Rivals (mobile game from Square)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
downloaded this on a whim when i was bored one day, and its actually really awesome. new IP instead of using existing Square stuff, so it hasn't caught on as quick, but the gameplay is pretty well thought out and fun. gacha style draws for new troops, good strategy involved in the battles, single player and PVP options.

Heavenstrike Rivals | SQUARE ENIX

(long trailer, haven't watched it yet)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I tried this game, it seems pretty fun so far. I can't figure out how to get tooltips to show up in the inventory yet, but otherwise it's fairly intuitive. Funny enough I used all the cash money gems you get through the first missions and got this amazing legendary (Dracula) and steamrolled a bunch of people, until I realized the problem with him was he wastoosustainable: he gives 2 hp to every unit you have out which if you play right makes you obscene. Someone was able to beat me by rushing a soldier past my line and immobilizing the dude I summoned to stop him and he just moved the soldier up and he finished me off. So there's definitely way more depth to strategy and I had to pause to reflect on the lesson and rebuild my squad.

That said, this feels very pay-to-win (maybe pay-to-compete) as I saw some utterly broken legendary dudes in the unranked pvp. It was kind of frustrating after a while. The legendaries are where the real gameplay and deckbuilding is and those are not super common.

If I had one complaint, though, it is the cash money to green gem rate in this game. It's pretty obscene, it's like $2.50-$2.00 PER UNIT CARD which is insane. I'm not sure how much of these green gems you get later on so maybe it is totally a luxury, but while I would normally drop a few dollars on any mobile game that's fun to play for a bit just to support the devs and such I don't think so with this one. It feels like '$50 season pass lulz' level of player-gouging.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
my first few days were frustrating for pvp, but now i've got a pretty strong team put together and regularly get 3-4 win streaks. i threw $5 at the game for the daily login bonus, but that's it. idk why the gems are so expensive in IRL money, you can farm like at least $20 worth of gems a day as a free to play player.

i'm finding it pretty easy to compete once i got a good handle on the mechanics. i've beaten quite a few people that were obviously trying to P2W but sucked at playing.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If it was $10 for 50 dudes I would do it, but not at ~$85.

Also, is there any way to see what the hell anything does? Like the exp tokens, or a 'golden ring'? Also this sort of has a weird component, I guess you can turn your dudes into exp dust for other dudes... but no clear idea what any of that means. I haven't gotten far enough but it seems like quality does not increase so it's kind of pointless to dump anything into units that aren't at least super-rares.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
yeah since the game has been out for a year i think its already sort of inflated, and basically the only troops worth holding on to are 3* and up. when feeding items or troops to other troops for EXP, make sure they're the same type/color so you can get a bonus. i think promotion materials are gotten from the places on the world map that have the same icons as troop types. i've promoted a couple units so far, it increases the level cap from 15 and gives some extra stats. i think sometimes promoting might change the moveset but that's just a hunch, haven't seen it yet.

i haven't looked through the wiki much yet, just kind of figuring it out as i go.

IME tanks and healers are OP. my current strategy is to try to get as many 2 mana cost tanks and healers on my team as possible, with a few damage dealers thrown in. is working pretty well so far.

i'm surprised this game isn't more popular. i've only been playing for like a week, but it seems really deep and fleshed out.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Also right now (today) seems to be Triple Rate Up for Super Rares if I read the announcement correctly. I used the first gems to do a 10 pull and got 3 4* cards plus the initial 4* I got. About to do another 10 pull and see. Game seems pretty fun, but that is just through the 1st 10 or 12 missions. We'll see how it keeps going.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
and the developers are really active, i've seen like half a dozen balance changes in the announcemnts already and i just started playing.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This game is really fun. It's like a thinkin' man's pokemon on a chessboard. Very quick and tactical but if you don't even bother to think synergies through you will get dropped fast.

The rewards for the story missions seem really bad though, but maybe I'm just unlucky. I don't think I've gotten maybe but 1-2 rare units out of what a hundred drops?

It appears stacking/every turn affects are king to me right now, every unit that has enough survivability to wade in and not get one shot but roll hp/atk (especially if its entire board) just has so much momentum.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This PVP is wack. My first match was against a guy with all 6 stars I think and level 25's but he was W: 0 L: 0, yeah I am sure that was the first day he ever tried PVP was the day I started.

This game is definitely pay to compete if you even want to touch PVP.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i've got a winning record in PVP right now and all i did was pay $5 for the monthly ticket *shrugs*

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
rrr_img_117429.jpg
rrr_img_117430.jpg

My first two pulls. Those Frankenstein 4 star guys are pure hilarity.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i've got that dragon/bomber chick in the top left of your first one. she's really useful.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I thought Dragoon was merely OK until I realized:

1) she can hit targetsbehind herand
2)she gets +2 atk each round no matter what

She's ridiculous. If I can get her and Dracula out it's pure lulz.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Also, is there a bug with the missions? My 'quest log' thingy is showing rewards for completing mission '8' in the campaign... but I'm on mission 43?

EDIT: d'oh, looks like I blew past the mission log thing before collecting rewards so I have to redo them.

koljec_sl

shitlord
My first two pulls. Those Frankenstein 4 star guys are pure hilarity.
Dracula is basically the most OP unit in the game right now. Not sure about Dragoon, but it sounds like she's badass. Basically, you got a couple of great units to start.

This forum will bring any new player up to speed:Heavenstrike Rivals ForumIt's a pretty good forum community.

Been playing the game on and off for the last year. The game has new units introduced all the time, but the devs really haven't been all that active with it until recently (there's been a lot of player loss, and those that remain have been really vocal about problems with game mechanics and legitimacy of the RNG).

Not sure what the future of the game is. It's fun, and might have the best artwork of all mobile games. And sometimes PVP can be real chess-like and rewarding. But it's still a pay to win game for the most part. You will see a lot of PVP mismatches, and the PVE game is in dire need of expansion.

koljec_sl

shitlord
Also, is there a bug with the missions? My 'quest log' thingy is showing rewards for completing mission '8' in the campaign... but I'm on mission 43?

EDIT: d'oh, looks like I blew past the mission log thing before collecting rewards so I have to redo them.
yeah, the daily and weekly missions don't really correspond to your overall mission progress. It's just a way to keep players motivated and earning crystals.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Also if you guys want free cores here's my invite code:

CPT8FBB2360

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I upgraded my Dracula to Dark Prince and L O L.

Also, figured out if you dust a unit with the same special ability it upgrades the ability as well as gives exp. That actually gives me a new appreciation for some of the 3* units because I can make their specials do much more just by virtue of availability.

I'm beginning to get mildly annoyed at the energy/ticket system though. I's extremely expensive to do Hell difficulty missions at 25 a pop.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I got a Cosmos least night on my 2nd ten pull, but it is the only Legendary so far. Bad thing is now I can barely play without it crashing the tablet. May wait until Christmas to put more time in to it when this Nexus 7 gets replaced.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've been getting shit for pulls. I'm done the entire quest line. Bleh @ core rate. It looks like the best option to farm is whatever the raid is at the moment? Doesn't seem like you can simply 'get' many legendaries without pulls.