HELOC Appraisal Issue - They say I have 1 Bathroom, but I have 2

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Out of curiosity for those of you in low cost of living areas (A house for < 200K WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW CHEAP)

How much do you play in residential taxes?
Suburb of Chicago, still in Cook County, paid $220k for my house, pay $4k in taxes. 3br, 2bath, about 1300 sq feet.

Those taxes are cheap because I live in "unincorporated" Cook County, which means that I pay a little more for water and my police is not the town police but the cook county sheriff. If I wasn't considered unincorporated I'd probably pay close to 5k.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Its 50k. Really nice and needed since taxes can run high depending on where you are and how bad the non ad valorem hits you. Hilarious because if you look for homes in one community the tax can be X and if you go to the next community it might be 50-100% more just based on those non ad valorem portions. A lot of it has to do with the water management and how much the developer impacted the area. If they took the time to build a lot of lakes and preserve with proper drainage the fees are low, if not then they can be double or more. Pretty crazy. Just keep an eye on it if you shop in SE FL it can be quite a difference. Not sure on the rest of the state.

http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/propert...ures/pt113.pdf
Crazy that it's a flat dollar value exemption, in TX it's a %.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
Not only that but it caps the assessment increase at 3% per year. So if values go crazy again, which is very likely since FL is a popular place to end up, your actual tax bill can only go up by 3% assuming the mileage rates stay the same which they usually do in high growth areas.

In addition, there is even portability of the lower assessment if you move and qualify.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Not only that but it caps the assessment increase at 3% per year. So if values go crazy again, which is very likely since FL is a popular place to end up, your actual tax bill can only go up by 3% assuming the mileage rates stay the same which they usually do in high growth areas.

In addition, there is even portability of the lower assessment if you move and qualify.
/whistles quietly - happy in new knowledge I was unaware of that makes me happy to have picked here to control costs. (Other benefits are awesome too - but being fixed income besides investments - it's good to keep stuff from being able to flux too much)

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Out of curiosity for those of you in low cost of living areas (A house for < 200K WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW CHEAP)

How much do you play in residential taxes?
So my actual house is much more than 200k, but the rentals are not. Homestead exemptions vary based on where you live - you can see where I live they offer MASSIVE exemptions. My tax bill is super small given the value of my house. Anyone in Texas will tell you that
smile.png

Here's my tax bills for you, one of my rentals has Homestead on it, but it shouldn't (already fixed but not online) and two of my other rentals are in another county and don't display as nice so they aren't listed here but the rates are a little higher (around 2.6% and 2.9%).

rrr_img_98048.png
rrr_img_98049.png
rrr_img_98050.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
California is not as bad as people think when it comes to property taxes, by their definition at least. Where you tend to get screwed is that the value of the property is so much higher (like that 2.5 mil vs. 140k comparison) so obviously you are paying a lot more from that perspective, but if you owned a 2.5 mil home in both states, California would likely be considerably less.

Article with a link to a study:How California - LA Times

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Very true, but a large part of that is simply that Texas has no state income tax, so it tends to make up for it by other means (such as 6.25% sales tax and their property tax). What I do like about the property tax system like Texas', is that it is (in theory) the primary (and in some cases only) way your local entities get funded - and those that live there are the ones that pay for it (rightfully).

Sadly, shit likeRobin Hoodscrews all that up.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
You guys should check out sf.curbed.com if you want to just have your mind get repeatedly blown from the pricing around here. Managing to buy a place for under 1000$/sq ft is a major victory. And then you have neighborhoods like pacific heights where condos routinely go for 4000$/sq ft.

koljec_sl

shitlord
So I applied for a HELOC, and the "appraiser" gives them a price of about 160k (15-30k below market value) based on comps in my neighborhood.

It seems that this is in large part due to my tax assessment showing only one bathroom. The houses which were built at the same time and in the same style as mine with 3br/2b are going for more like 175-190k.

I knew they were probably going to only go for the lower end, but this was a lot lower.

How the heck do I get this fixed? And I'm assuming this will raise my property taxes?

What a pain in the ass.
Do both of your bathrooms have showers or tubs? If one does not have those things it is not considered a full bathroom. kinda like a bedroom has to have a closet.