Hidden Figures: we wuz space kangz

khorum

Murder Apologist
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Hidden Figures (2017)

Genre: Drama

Director: Theodore Melfi

Cast: Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, Janelle Monae, Kevin Costner, Kirsten Dunst, Jim Parsons, Mahershala Ali, Aldis Hodge, Glen Powell, Kimberly Quinn, Olek Krupa, Kurt Krause, Ken Strunk, Lidya Jewett, Donna Biscoe, Ariana Neal, Saniyya Sidney, Zani Jones Mbayise, Tre Stokes, Selah Kimbro Jones, Corey Mendell Parker, Ashton Tyler, Alkoya Brunson, Karan Kendrick, Jaiden Kaine, Gregory Alan Williams, Maria Howell, Arnell Powell, Ron Clinton Smith, Crystal Lee Brown, Tequilla Whitfield, Dane Davenport, Evan Holtzman, Travis Smith, Scott Michael Morgan, Chris Cavalier, Robert McKay, Rhoda Griffis, Karen Wheeling Reynolds, Kate Kneeland, Joe Knezevich, Paul Ryden, Frank Hoyt Taylor, John Atwood, Jon Edwin Wright, Wilbur Fitzgerald, Michael Hartson, Bob Jennings, Gary Weeks, Afemo Omilami, Cullen Moss, Amy Tipton, Elijah Everett, Andre Pushkin, Randall Newsome, Joe Hardy Jr., Howie Johnson, David Kallaway, Addison Rose Melfi, Paige Nicollette

Release: 2017-01-13

Plot: A period space-race drama is inspired by the real-life tale of a group of African-American female mathematicians — Dorothy Vaughn, Mary Jackson and Katherine Johnson — who helped put astronaut John Glenn into orbit.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

khorum

Murder Apologist

*movie trailer guy voice*

IN A WORLD without weaves, black women spent their money on college tuition...

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Music and production by pharrell williams! I'm in.

Hoping for hidden figures 2: The 399,999 other people who helped with really smart space stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
1) Get "them" to acknowledge reality and admit we actually went to the moon
2) ???
3) Profit

iannis

Musty Nester
When do they do the oscars?

Seems like they nailed oscar bait and cashgrab both at the same time.

I haven't seen it. I wouldn't be that surprised if it is actually a decent movie. But these kind of political pieces do need to be judged by the meta message.

Wolf of Wall Street is a trash movie, even if it was entertaining.

• 1Solidarity

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
Some of you are acting like "based on a true story" has ever been anything more than a loosely applied marketing tool used by an industry largely built on the peddling of fiction. When a largely accurate retelling of real life events doesn't make for a compelling story they embellish, sometimes heavily. It has always been thus.

• 2Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
It's still obama-son loving bullshit lies. How exactly is it good?
The main character's Wikipedia matches up pretty perfect with the movie story, what exactly is the lie here?

Known for accuracy in computerized celestial navigation, her technical work at NASA spanned decades during which she participated in calculating the trajectories, launch windows, and emergency back-up return paths for many flights from Project Mercury, including the early NASA missions of John Glenn and Alan Shepard, the 1969 Apollo 11 flight to the Moon, through the Space Shuttle program and plans for a Mission to Mars.

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Every time I watch a 'based on a true story' movie I go and ruin it by looking up the actual story afterwards. Most of the times what they take from the source material is just names and places. Apparently end results don't even matter that much.

• 2Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The main character's Wikipedia matches up pretty perfect with the movie story, what exactly is the lie here?
There wasn't a couple minorities shouldering the entire burden of NASA on their backs. There literally was multiple teams of mathematicians and scientists double checking each others work but they Captain Philips-ed it up with the SJW.

• 1Like

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I still dont get why the ruined the Leo movie revenant when the true story was much more entertaining. Movie managed to make the story boring and also unbelievable when it shouldnt have been

Lenas

Trump's Staff
There wasn't a couple minorities shouldering the entire burden of NASA on their backs. There literally was multiple teams of mathematicians and scientists double checking each others work but they Captain Philips-ed it up with the SJW.
I mean, this movie still had entire teams of people working on solving problems. The main character 90% of the time was just checking other people's work. Did you watch it?

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
Just watched this and really liked it. Katherine was checking work because she wasn't allowed to do her own work essentially. Then she started showing them that she knew her shit, insisting she gets in on briefings, etc. I have no idea how much of or which parts of the story were true, but I enjoyed it.

rad

Lord of Guk
/csb
I cant seem to find a clip but Vice News had an interesting interview with the director over the fact Ms. Johnson always used the white bathroom but chose to make it a point in the film that she did not. When confronted with this he doubled down on his reasoning (don't recall exactly because it seemed stupid). IMO it would have been a far more powerful statement for her to flip the bird and use the white woman's bathroom as she did in RL.

Anyway, just an interesting fact, given the current context of discussion.

Cybsled

I read a bit more about them. When computers started to get better, one of the characters in this ended up getting into programming and tried to teach the calculator women how to program as well so they could stay relevant.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I read a bit more about them. When computers started to get better, one of the characters in this ended up getting into programming and tried to teach the calculator women how to program as well so they could stay relevant.
So, exactly as the movie depicts her.

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
How black is the main character? My grandma looked more black than Katherine Johnson in some of these photos
1985-L-01543.jpg

humancompprim.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

220px-Katherine_Johnson_medal.jpe

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database