Home gym?

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Have about 8x10 space in garage I can use to setup a home gym. Bottom 4 feet of walls are concrete foundation and ceiling is about 8 feet height. I want some kind of pull up bar that’s height adjustable or atleast low enough to work at this height. Anyone have a gym at home or especially in their garage and what’s their setup?

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What kind of workouts are you looking to do? If standard weight stuff, buy or make a power rack and put a pull-up bar wherever you want. Use remaining space for dumbbells.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
If standard weight stuff, buy or make a power rack and put a pull-up bar wherever you want.
No reason to not get an all in one unit like this;

I have that same exact design and its been working well for me. I turned the pullup ball inward though for better balance on pullups. With a design like this you can safely do heavy squats with peace of mind with a set of straps like shown.

I just ordered another 2 35lb rubber plates to bring my total bar weight up to 405.

Plates are still on sale, $38+tax for two 35lb rubber plates which is a pretty good deal;

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
The first weekend of lockdown I ordered a squat rack, barbell and plates for my garden. Bit of a gamble as we didn't know how long lockdown would last but it definitely paid off. I was off work, weather was glorious and I was lifting 2 x a day then eating BBQ food.

Was legit in the best shape of my life

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I have a similar amount of space that I work out in. All my workouts focus on five major lifts. Squat, deadlift, bench, standing overhead press, and bent over barbell rows.

With that limited amount of space and those goals in mind I would just get a power rack, a nice barbell with some plates, adjustable bench, and maybe some adjustable dumbbells. Throw in a Ez bar, and a pull-up and dip attachment a little bit of basic know how of barbell and dumbbell lifts and there isn’t any muscle group you can’t workout with that setup.

https://a.co/d/ao1jPkv - I got this bench and have been really happy with it

https://a.co/d/9Z4D7ly - I got dumbbells similar to this but 5-50 lbs. I wish I would have gotten the 5-80 lb set. These are super convenient and if you can afford the price tag they’re great for a small area.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I have a similar amount of space that I work out in. All my workouts focus on five major lifts. Squat, deadlift, bench, standing overhead press, and bent over barbell rows.

With that limited amount of space and those goals in mind I would just get a power rack, a nice barbell with some plates, adjustable bench, and maybe some adjustable dumbbells. Throw in a Ez bar, and a pull-up and dip attachment a little bit of basic know how of barbell and dumbbell lifts and there isn’t any muscle group you can’t workout with that setup.

https://a.co/d/ao1jPkv - I got this bench and have been really happy with it

https://a.co/d/9Z4D7ly - I got dumbbells similar to this but 5-50 lbs. I wish I would have gotten the 5-80 lb set. These are super convenient and if you can afford the price tag they’re great for a small area.

I like those adjustable dumbbell things. What I don't get is what makes them so fucking retarded expensive. You can buy 1 inch dumbbell handles for almost nothing, and plates are cheap, I don't get why they're all so fucking ridiculous.

I got a pair of 5-25lb ones on clearance from like a Fleet Farm or some shit like 10 years ago and they're great, but I'm never spending 500+ on that shit.

I also highly recommend a landmine attachment for rows. I was doing dumbbell rows for awhile, but having problems getting the form perfect without hurting myself, and the landmine attachment just works fantastic and it absolutely blew up my back.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Have about 8x10 space in garage I can use to setup a home gym. Bottom 4 feet of walls are concrete foundation and ceiling is about 8 feet height. I want some kind of pull up bar that’s height adjustable or atleast low enough to work at this height. Anyone have a gym at home or especially in their garage and what’s their setup?

Can recommend Bowflex. The least-expensive one needs about 6 and a half feet of height. It's much bigger than they made it look in the ads, which is annoying. It'll still work in that space, provided you assemble it in said space. Pretty much has every time of pullup or rowing type of movement you can think of.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
I was in the best shape of my life when I built my home gym. Got all of the equipment (treadmill, bench, bike, weights, even the floor pads) during the early days of Covid when gyms were going out of business. I got my stuff literally for nothing. It just took a village to pick up the stuff and move it. Because the hill-town gym that went under was using standard weights and barbells, the only ask was that whoever picked the stuff up sign a waiver and take it off the premises. I don't even remember what the purpose of the waiver was.

Then new job, new house, fell out of my routine and now it is a long climb back. First step back for me was resetting up the home gym and knowing that baby steps matter.

It's weird- my gym going under during covid was the catalyst. I used to love my town gym (and it was open 24 hours most days) but having stuff at home worked just as well . But is a double-edged sword. Lacking the voyeur/observer/social effects is so great yet equally terrible. And moving a home gym is a nightmare.

I have a very adaptable bench, free weights, dumbells, multiple barbells, a bike trainer (a road bike fits on it), a second inclined bench (not really needed), tons of floor pads that lock together like a jigsaw puzzle, a full treadmill, and a cheapo 25" TV on a stand with a W-King speaker.

Depends on how your frontal cortex is wired whether or not it will work for you. That is my guess.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users