Home Manufacturing and Hobby/Crafting Business

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I wanted to start this thread because there are a collection of topics that come together with the economics, services and work involved in transitioning a hobby into a side hustle to fund said hobby or perhaps even a real business one day. I'm hoping to discuss the logistics, practicality, processes and technical solutions involved in making things to sell to other people both locally or through e-commerce. To date I've only really ever sold individual things from time to time whether woodworking, painting or 3D printed projects. However, the search for tools comes with a price tag, and I'd like to start making more things for sale to fund dumb purchases.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Recently, I got frustrated after evaluating a couple dozen accessories for our team at work and over the course of a few weeks at home whipped up some stuff in Blender and TL;DR: thing I made because I like it other people like as well. To that end, I started to look into the practicality of producing and selling the products on Etsy. I also have to contend with the impracticality of my current 3d printing setup for production and even though I am hoping for only 5-10 sales a week as just a nice way to fund a few new tools and other projects. I'm a bit concerned about not creating a false start and balancing print on demand vs JITI vs overstocking and probably more importantly the shipping process which is the biggest pain.

My cost analysis shows that Etsy is fairly costly, but still perhaps the easiest low volume platform due to the difficulty in getting clicks on your own and the convenience for using it on the side. Shipping is a drag, and I'm not sure what is the simplest solution here. Etsy has sort of an all-in-one label print (for a fee). Unfortunately for light weight items, it seems like USPS flat rate isn't a good deal at this point which is the other easier option.

I think for now I am going to print a backstock of about 10 completed with parts for a few more. This should give me a bit of a buffer to print more and enough time to acquire another printer right away in the best case.

I'd appreciate any thoughts about Etsy as a platform or shipping and any alternatives or other experiences people have in this arena.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Recently, I got frustrated after evaluating a couple dozen accessories for our team at work and over the course of a few weeks at home whipped up some stuff in Blender and TL;DR: thing I made because I like it other people like as well. To that end, I started to look into the practicality of producing and selling the products on Etsy. I also have to contend with the impracticality of my current 3d printing setup for production and even though I am hoping for only 5-10 sales a week as just a nice way to fund a few new tools and other projects. I'm a bit concerned about not creating a false start and balancing print on demand vs JITI vs overstocking and probably more importantly the shipping process which is the biggest pain.

My cost analysis shows that Etsy is fairly costly, but still perhaps the easiest low volume platform due to the difficulty in getting clicks on your own and the convenience for using it on the side. Shipping is a drag, and I'm not sure what is the simplest solution here. Etsy has sort of an all-in-one label print (for a fee). Unfortunately for light weight items, it seems like USPS flat rate isn't a good deal at this point which is the other easier option.

I think for now I am going to print a backstock of about 10 completed with parts for a few more. This should give me a bit of a buffer to print more and enough time to acquire another printer right away in the best case.

I'd appreciate any thoughts about Etsy as a platform or shipping and any alternatives or other experiences people have in this arena.
A few general thoughts that might or might not useful depending on your situation:

Not sure what your price point is, but imo, don't sell anything that doesn't have a high enough price point that you basically don't care about the fees (unless you want to get into some sort of mass production). Otherwise, you'll just be buying yourself a shitty part time job. FAR, FAR better to sell one thing per week at $500 than 50 at $10. Also, if you have a high enough price point, you can afford to spend a bit on ads.

Nothing wrong with selling on Etsy, but if you don't mind pre-building your product, sell on Amazon and have Amazon do the fulfillment for you. You can also have Amazon do the fulfillment on things you sell yourself or on other sites. This way, you can just send big shipments of stuff to Amazon all at once so you don't need to deal with it yourself, one at a time. Note that this works best with relatively small, expensive items. For bigger/heavier things, oversize charges can get prohibitive.

Also, this might sound obvious or impossible depending on what you want to sell, but try to make your product something that people are actively searching for with no great solution. It sounds like you may have something in that ballpark, or you would have bought it instead of trying to make it yourself. That will not only make it easier to sell on the ecom sites, but it will make it easier to funnel people to your own site so you can sell directly.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
A few general thoughts that might or might not useful depending on your situation:

Not sure what your price point is, but imo, don't sell anything that doesn't have a high enough price point that you basically don't care about the fees (unless you want to get into some sort of mass production). Otherwise, you'll just be buying yourself a shitty part time job. FAR, FAR better to sell one thing per week at $500 than 50 at $10. Also, if you have a high enough price point, you can afford to spend a bit on ads.

Nothing wrong with selling on Etsy, but if you don't mind pre-building your product, sell on Amazon and have Amazon do the fulfillment for you. You can also have Amazon do the fulfillment on things you sell yourself or on other sites. This way, you can just send big shipments of stuff to Amazon all at once so you don't need to deal with it yourself, one at a time. Note that this works best with relatively small, expensive items. For bigger/heavier things, oversize charges can get prohibitive.

Also, this might sound obvious or impossible depending on what you want to sell, but try to make your product something that people are actively searching for with no great solution. It sounds like you may have something in that ballpark, or you would have bought it instead of trying to make it yourself. That will not only make it easier to sell on the ecom sites, but it will make it easier to funnel people to your own site so you can sell directly.

Thanks, I would consider other fulfillment routes in the future. At this point I have limited printing capacity, so other options that might sell better or have greater reach are precarious right now. What type of process or inventory levels are needed to fulfill with Amazon for example? I could see cross-posting or transitioning over there at some point, but I'm not sure if there's as much a market since 3d printing has something of a stigma.

Incidentally, the product I'm making I have been working with several project teams from the OEM and they don't have anyone making aftermarket parts so I think while it's niche it's also a decent novelty in that respect.

Price wise, it's hard to gauge. There is something of a race to the bottom with Etsy. I feel like I can sell the premium features but not enough to make it a ridiculous price. Though all of that does make me wonder about 'retail packaging' so to speak. I suppose there's the plastic baggy with a stapled foldover card on top at a minimum.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What type of process or inventory levels are needed to fulfill with Amazon for example?
I feel like I can sell the premium features but not enough to make it a ridiculous price. Though all of that does make me wonder about 'retail packaging' so to speak. I suppose there's the plastic baggy with a stapled foldover card on top at a minimum.
There's no lower bounds. You can just ship them one at a time if you want. You just have to set things up on their shitty portal (it's been a while, so they have have improved it by now... probably not though). It will probably be somewhat more expensive than doing it yourself, but with how much the past few packages I've shipped have cost, it might be the cheaper option in some cases, even once fees are added in.

You might be surprised at how little people will care about your price or your packaging if you're solving a problem they can't easily get solved elsewhere. Hell, a reasonable % of random shit I buy from Amazon is basically just wadded up in a plastic baggie. Whatever price you're thinking of, list it on Amazon at 2 or 3x and see if it sells. Send them something like 10 units, once you sell 5, start jacking up the price until you replenish (will keep you from selling out and helps to see what the market will actually tolerate). Put some effort into making your store page look professional, but anything like fancy packaging can wait until you see if it's going to be worthwhile. People end up spinning their wheels, wasting a ton of time and money doing things that don't really matter, and if it doesn't help you sell more stuff (or the same stuff at a higher price point), then it's just waste.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

latheboy

Trakanon Raider
I used to have a side gig making custom MTB parts and turbo motorbike kit stuff.
Furthest custom was in Germany and I'm in Australia.. I'm sure there are a couple of machinist between here and there so was happy to get the work.
Everything was word of mouth for me and I never sold in a shop online.
I've stopped doing it now, dealing with customers is not my strong point.

If you are good with random people it'll be easier for you. Get ready to deal with very needy shitty people who want everything for nothing..

Kobayashi

Vyemm Raider
Thanks, I would consider other fulfillment routes in the future. At this point I have limited printing capacity, so other options that might sell better or have greater reach are precarious right now. What type of process or inventory levels are needed to fulfill with Amazon for example? I could see cross-posting or transitioning over there at some point, but I'm not sure if there's as much a market since 3d printing has something of a stigma.

Incidentally, the product I'm making I have been working with several project teams from the OEM and they don't have anyone making aftermarket parts so I think while it's niche it's also a decent novelty in that respect.

Price wise, it's hard to gauge. There is something of a race to the bottom with Etsy. I feel like I can sell the premium features but not enough to make it a ridiculous price. Though all of that does make me wonder about 'retail packaging' so to speak. I suppose there's the plastic baggy with a stapled foldover card on top at a minimum.
Kind of curious: is it something you can patent? Not sure what kind of contract you had to sign for employment in terms of IP, so, that might be a roadblock. I'm just thinking if you can 3D print it and it becomes popular, it won't be long that others do too and undercut you. Plus, I'd say if you can own it, the best play might just be licensing the design.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user