Home Improvement

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'd leave the 2" vent stack you got there and cut and peel everything else out of that galvi tee. Go PVC male adapters from that point down to whatever it ties in to. Probably a day, you could do it.

This is what's going to happen except have to fernco into 2", threads broke there about 2 minutes into trying to get out the drains.

If we hire it out what would your ball park estimate be

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
P Picasso3 The threads should have broke, galvi is terrible, corrodes instantly. If you're good with a sawzall, buy a metal blade and cut a line across the threads that snapped inside the fitting, be shallow enough to not hit the threads of the fitting, cut a similar line an inch away. Then use a flat head and a hammer and peel that section out. With that gap you should be able to fold the rest of the snapped fitting out.

Buy some PVC male adapters, tape them, dope them and spin it in. I believe you can do it.

I don't know where you live, but here I get $125/hr for side work, if the people are old or veterans or I can tell they don't have money I'll charge $85/hr. That's probably 3 hours work and maybe $75 in fittings. Anything over $500 I'd say was high.

Picasso3

Dudes were telling me 75 an hour and i thought that was high but i figured it would take them 10 or 12 hours.

It broke on the 2 inch threads so I'm boned there but i may do that on the CI tie in at the stack, I'm nervous about that one.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It is real minor work but I am going around the house installing outlets with USB ports built in. Only in strategically useful places.

I am also going to switch to deco rocker switches throughout the house one of these weekends.

Picasso3

kitchen design hopefully final.

layout 3.png

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
you get rocked by your HOA or what?
No real responce yet from my HOA, just asking for information I already gave them. I expect at least another month or two before they tell me what is up. I hate them and they are beyond useless.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Picasso3

Floor jack worked beautifully to destroy mud mat floor, total thickness to replace is 3 inches.

The toilet 3" cast iron is currently vented with a 1.5, curious to see if that irks a plumber

20170226_133337.jpg

20170226_145353.jpg

20170226_162830.jpg

Last edited:

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
1 1/2" to vent a toilet is perfectly fine. A vent has to be a minimum of 1/2 the drain size. The galvi really irks the hell out of me though.

Siliconemelons

My shower and toilet redo suddenly seems like not such a big deal....

Random outdoor question - easiest way to kill fucking oak tree sprouts? I got one that's up to about 5-6ft tall and 3/4 inch thick and is in a really bad spot that I cant dig it out or use a chain saw... law guy told me off the record - 1-2 quarts of oil next oil change will take care of it...lol

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
How should I expect something like a countertop installation to be invoiced?

We got a few estimates for it, but they were all just a single sum, which seemed strange to me. I asked the contractor that we decided to go with to give me a breakout of the costs, but it was still kind of...not what I was looking for (just "demo $x, countertops $x, sink installation $x).

The reason I ask is because I'm planning on doing some of it myself, but because of the way the estimate was written, there's some overlap (and after discussing, the estimate wasn't revised to reflect any of that). For instance, the demo included backsplashes (which we want), but the counters was actually "countertops and backsplash," and I plan on doing the backsplash myself. I also mentioned to the contractor that I would likely just do the drywall repair myself, but nothing came off the estimate for that.

I guess I'm mostly asking, is the invoice going to be detailed enough with labor hours, actual material used, etc? And if it's not, can I refuse to pay until they provide me something detailed?

Picasso3

You're going to be more of a headache to collaborate with than just handling it themselves is probably what they're thinking.

If you're getting high end surface all the appurtenances will likely be inconsequential.

To get cost down I'd suggest saying you'll have everything clear and ready for counters, they'll lay it, and you'll do all the detail, touchup, and backsplash bullshit.

In would not expect an invoice to have more than a square footage and a price per square ft.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'd probably be fine with just getting a price per square foot. I just have a hard time with receiving an estimate that says "a, b, c, d, e" and I say, "I'll do c myself and don't want e" and the estimate is still the same. I know it's just an estimate, but it doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

To explain further, our estimate included demo and 'countertops with backsplash' ($800 and $4500 respectively, plus another $1k for the bathrooms). After I asked them to itemize it (since I wasn't sure if we wanted the bathrooms, and the entire thing was rolled into one cost), we went to their office to pick out materials and they said backsplash would be an additional $1500. I told them I'd do the drywall after demo and we'd be doing the backsplash ourselves later (since we want to make sure it matches the house after the counters are in). I'm a bit leery about the fact that their estimates included "backsplash" but now it'll be an extra $1500. I emailed them to ask, and they're claiming this was just a granite backsplash (like a 3-5" piece you'd have in a bathroom). But who the fuck does that in a kitchen?

Anyway, my wife is now saying since demo in the original estimate probably included fixing our drywall, she wants me to just have them do it. Drywall is super easy, especially when I'm just going to tile over it, so I don't want to pay for that (which is why I asked about labor hours and materials). It's probably only a minor costs savings, but we're looking at somewhere between $6.5-7k in total spending already, and if I can save anything I will. Because that's stupid fucking expensive.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
These jobs are priced flat rate, there is no itemized breakdown. 3 guys come in and are there for 4 hours, regardless of what you do vs what they do. They send 3 guys because they've got to carry the granite in, then they split and do the other jobs required, mount the sink, drill the faucet hole, cut the backsplash, go do the bathrooms. You may feel like your helping but you're not, the 3rd guy gets paid regardless, so a contractor can't just pretend he's not there.

Also majority of kitchen backsplashes are a 4",6" or 8" backsplash, the silicone and adhesive give a water tight seal. A tile backsplash is just going to let water roll between the tile and grantie and rot your new cabinets and create mold, plus it's impossible to cleqn those grout lines. I'll post a pic of my kitchen I did 5 years ago.

Picasso3

I'd probably be fine with just getting a price per square foot. I just have a hard time with receiving an estimate that says "a, b, c, d, e" and I say, "I'll do c myself and don't want e" and the estimate is still the same. I know it's just an estimate, but it doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

To explain further, our estimate included demo and 'countertops with backsplash' ($800 and $4500 respectively, plus another $1k for the bathrooms). After I asked them to itemize it (since I wasn't sure if we wanted the bathrooms, and the entire thing was rolled into one cost), we went to their office to pick out materials and they said backsplash would be an additional $1500. I told them I'd do the drywall after demo and we'd be doing the backsplash ourselves later (since we want to make sure it matches the house after the counters are in). I'm a bit leery about the fact that their estimates included "backsplash" but now it'll be an extra $1500. I emailed them to ask, and they're claiming this was just a granite backsplash (like a 3-5" piece you'd have in a bathroom). But who the fuck does that in a kitchen?

Anyway, my wife is now saying since demo in the original estimate probably included fixing our drywall, she wants me to just have them do it. Drywall is super easy, especially when I'm just going to tile over it, so I don't want to pay for that (which is why I asked about labor hours and materials). It's probably only a minor costs savings, but we're looking at somewhere between $6.5-7k in total spending already, and if I can save anything I will. Because that's stupid fucking expensive.

Get another quote, 1500 for backsplash is lol unless you're getting a full wall dolphin mosaic