Home Improvement

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Looks like you've removed the flange, lead and oakum? I'd just go to your local supply house and get a cast iron flange with the gasket, some duck butter to lube the pipe and gasket, and then push it in after the floor was tiled, so that it sits on your newly tiled floor.

A 3" drain can be within 8' of a vent. If there is nothing draining down the stack from upstairs I'd have no problem eliminating that vent, and to tell you the truth, even if there is another bathroom on top of that one I'd still be ok with using that stack as a vent. Looks like the tub and lav are individually vented.

Remember when roughing your kitchen sink you want that drain 10" off center if you are putting in a garbage disposal.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
It'd be tough, because you'd have to pull out the electrical boxes to move them forward so they'd sit flush with the added depth of the tile. Arative Arative

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Plumber supposed to send quote today, I'm worried because he made sure to note he was a Christian.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Plumber supposed to send quote today, I'm worried because he made sure to note he was a Christian.
My plumber was also aggressively Christian. What's up with that? They were awesome and did a great job, but they have the Jesus fish on all their business cards. They're called "Father and Son Plumbing", which I thought was a family thing, but maybe it was talking about Jesus/God.

Amen.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Maybe if you say you're Christian too it offsets.

• 1Solidarity

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I once had a guy give me a roof bid. After he finished writing it up, just before he handed it to me he placed his hand my shoulder bowed his head and said "let's pray on this bid." It was one of the most awkward situations of my life.

He also managed to tell me that he knew the rapture was coming at least twice in the 30 minutes he was at my home.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I once had a guy give me a roof bid. After he finished writing it up, just before he handed it to me he placed his hand my shoulder bowed his head and said "let's pray on this bid." It was one of the most awkward situations of my life.

He also managed to tell me that he knew the rapture was coming at least twice in the 30 minutes he was at my home.

Holy fuck send this guy my way, I need a good laugh.

Ryanz

<Banned>
Going to be ripping up all the carpet in the house and replacing it all with laminate flooring. It's just over 1000 square feets worth. I will be doing the office, hallway, spare bedroom, living room, and master bedroom. So... how much am I going to be hating life taking this on? I've never done flooring before (not that it looks like theirs much to it) but I am pretty quick at figuring things out. Any suggestions would be great. Also here's the stuff I'm going with. I don't need anything fancy, I just want something durable and scratch resistant (I have 5 dogs), and has a mid/darker tone.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
My countertop guy still hasn't scheduled when he's coming, but he mentioned this upcoming week. Hopefully they call tomorrow.

Anyway, after work on Friday I decided I'd try to take out a section of the backsplash and possibly replace the drywall underneath.

That turned into me ripping out half the countertops in my kitchen, so I should be able save hopefully $150-200 of the $500 in demo. I almost wonder if he underbid, because that shit was a bitch to take out. Not easy like every fucking YouTube how-to or article I could find.

Mine ended up being cabinet with a paper underlay, and a wire mesh stapled to both of those. Then there was 1/2 inch concrete (or maybe thinset, but that seems expensive) that tied the wire mesh to the tile countertop. Basically ended up having to smash each tile with a sledge and then use a pry bar undernearth the wire mesh to try to pry up the staples. Otherwise it was just too solid to break off into large pieces (or even tile sized pieces). It's like whoever built the thing figured it'd be there for the next 100 years.

Edit: Just Googled (again) and figured out what it is. Apparently it's the "mortar method" for tile countertops.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I cut my thumb pretty good at one point (I was sitting there like, why is my pry bar all sticky...oh, my hand is covered in blood). I was actually pretty surprised that was my only injury, and it was more than halfway through it. My hands have a few nicks, and they're sore as shit, but that's it.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Got 30 amp breaker outlets run to work bench and started playing with router table, pretty cool but I'm worried it's going to explode at any moment.

Also found this soldering iron from the "American heater company", still works.

20170305_212313.jpg

20170305_212258.jpg