Home Improvement

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
4 pipe diameters above the flood level rim of the fixture. The tub spout is suppose to be an air gap.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The other day we had a roofing guy come by to our house to try to sell us on a new roof and getting our insurance to pay. I told him my deductible was $10k, and I wasn't interested.

He then told me that I should lower my deductible for $250, wait for a windy day, and then file a claim and he'd come give us a new roof.

I'm like 90% sure this is insurance fraud, but I wanted confirmation from you all. I'm 100% not interested in getting a new roof (I've been patching my shingles the last two years, and it's incredibly easy and cheap). I just wanted to know what you all thought of his little scheme. He started naming a bunch of neighbors that he's done it for, not that I know any of my neighbors names except the ones directly to my left and right.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Going to make this a separate post. I think I mentioned before, but we were pricing out counter tops a while ago.

We ended up getting them finished Monday, but it was a huge headache (although not so bad in retrospect). Long story short, the company was shit at keeping us in the loop which caused me to get pretty frustrated. All in all though, we're really happy with it; in total about 81 sqft of granite in the kitchen and 2 bathrooms.

Did most of the backsplash today with mosaic glass and marble tiles. I didn't quite finish though because I got tired of cutting these tiny little fucking tiles over and over. Ended up not even using my tile saw and instead a pair of glass tile nippers which are awesome (and fast). I should be able to finish in the morning and then probably grout Monday after work.

Anyway, the tie between these two posts is that I fucking hate having to get someone else to work on my house. Counters is one of those things I can't do though (at least anything but tile ones) so I was kind of hamstrung. So when it comes to eventually replacing my roof, I plan on doing the entire thing myself. I'm sure it's going to suck, but at least I don't have to try to translate to some fucking Mexican that speaks literally no English (seriously, the two counter top guys; one spoke VERY broken English and the other none, and then the other guys who did demo and plumbing type stuff one was American and the other spoke very poor English).

I feel like doing a roof from scratch will be significantly easier than replacing shingles, as you can just nail straight into the next one as opposed to prying one up and trying to squeeze the nails in.

I'll try to have some pictures of the kitchen in a few days when it's done. Unfortunately I don't have any really good before pictures.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
The other day we had a roofing guy come by to our house to try to sell us on a new roof and getting our insurance to pay. I told him my deductible was $10k, and I wasn't interested.

He then told me that I should lower my deductible for $250, wait for a windy day, and then file a claim and he'd come give us a new roof.

I'm like 90% sure this is insurance fraud, but I wanted confirmation from you all. I'm 100% not interested in getting a new roof (I've been patching my shingles the last two years, and it's incredibly easy and cheap). I just wanted to know what you all thought of his little scheme. He started naming a bunch of neighbors that he's done it for, not that I know any of my neighbors names except the ones directly to my left and right.

Yes that is insurance fraud, more importantly he is a dirty roofer and he may leave out important shit if he is trying to fix a roof at under insurance price.

• 1Like

Picasso3

they bring it up around here if you call for a quote on a roof. It's the reason roofs cost so damn much here, they cost whatever insurance pays.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yes that is insurance fraud, more importantly he is a dirty roofer and he may leave out important shit if he is trying to fix a roof at under insurance price.

This. And imagine trying to get him to be good on anything warranty related. He'd flake out completely. Don't use this guy and tell your insurance company his name and contact information so they can reject quotes from him.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
P Picasso3 and plumbers!
So my shower takes all my strength to turn off, as in turn all the way to cold. Went from getting harder to turn to a practice in death grips. Is this something I can fix? See pictures for more information.

I assume I have to pull the pin out to get to the whatever is going bad, I also assume it is some kind of rubber piece cause it feels like it is rubbing on something. But assuming leads to me flooding my house...

Last edited:

Picasso3

Usually the guts (valve cartridge?) all come out in an assembly, you get that out, match them up and replace a whole assembly. If it's a delta they'll send you replacement stuff for free i think

Ya have your water off for all that. I never have a valve close so it's a whole house thing.

Picasso3

We hired a drywall guy to finish 30 sheets in a rental and I'm pretty sure he dumped out a box of screws, pissed in the container, and then hid it under the stairs.

I guess i should mention he did a good job otherwise.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Usually the guts (valve cartridge?) all come out in an assembly, you get that out, match them up and replace a whole assembly. If it's a delta they'll send you replacement stuff for free i think

Ya have your water off for all that. I never have a valve close so it's a whole house thing.

Figured out the cartridge was last one for 40.00 USD, then grabbed the cartridge removal tool for 8 bucks, turned off the water, pulled the cartridge, replaced everything and boom done in 20 mins. I know a plumber would have charged me 200ish. There was a crazy amount of used cartridges returned as new on the shelves, the people that work at homedepot don't even look to see how corroded and fucked up they were.

Siliconemelons

Figured out the cartridge was last one for 40.00 USD, then grabbed the cartridge removal tool for 8 bucks, turned off the water, pulled the cartridge, replaced everything and boom done in 20 mins. I know a plumber would have charged me 200ish. There was a crazy amount of used cartridges returned as new on the shelves, the people that work at homedepot don't even look to see how corroded and fucked up they were.

It is also because if you do not KNOW your model number it is almost impossible to tell what one you actually need - I took pictures of mine and still did not match it up right - because I didn't want to leave the water off while I wondered up to home depot with he wife and kids...god forbit the rugrats cant wash their hands or something.

Also: homedepot rustle

I need 9 foot of fence that will include a gate in that 9 foot.. panels are 8 foot.. okay I will buy a few replacement slats and make up the 1ft... but... I do not have a truck, just a manvan... the manvan can do a good job hauling lots of crap but not a 8ft x 6ft fence panel... so I ask the dude at the wall-saw at the depot if he can cut it in half, I am most likely going to make it a 4ft gate + 5foot fence and then i will be able to put the 4ft x 6ft sections in the van - the dude is like "No, you have to buy the whole thing.." I am like "yeah I know." then he is like "no..umm we sell cheap hand saws in isle X" I am like...wtf go saw the fence in the parking lot with a hacksaw bro... heck I would have taken the excuse "fence panels have staples in them that could damage our saw" but.. "go buy a handsaw and cut it up outside" is lol

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I didn't know my model number just brand, got lucky because it was the only cartridge that had that plastic piece with the H/C on it.