Home Improvement

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Now I want one of those... curse you all

You cant go wrong with anything made by Fes. But unless you are a Pro with deep pockets the price tag is crazy stupid.

Their jigsaws makes you wonder why no one else can make one that functions half as well.

3858_7288_popup.jpg

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Festool is shit

All electric tools are gay. Real tools are pneumatic. But you need big HP and 300+ gal tanks to run legit stuff.

My real tools are mostly Dynabrade, Dotco and Sata. Pulling the trigger on any of them gets me hard.

DOT_12L2750_80_FRONT_MAIN_2.jpg

DB10724.jpg

Sata_Pistole_ml.jpg

sata-mini-set-2-pressure-pot-satajet-3000-k-r_1.jpg

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Is there an "easy" way to apply a non-slip surface to concrete? My landlord poured a couple concrete ramps and a sidewalk for me, but he didn't even bother using a broom to texture the surface. I'm assuming my only option now is to add some sort of a gritty finish to it, but I know next to nothing about concrete.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Is there an "easy" way to apply a non-slip surface to concrete? My landlord poured a couple concrete ramps and a sidewalk for me, but he didn't even bother using a broom to texture the surface. I'm assuming my only option now is to add some sort of a gritty finish to it, but I know next to nothing about concrete.

High traffic floor paint and add non skid particles. Any big box hardware store should have it. If you are going over concrete use an epoxy based paint.

Get your landlords permision before altering his property

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Over the last week or so I demo'd the whole upstairs minus the Kitchen (that will be phase 2 in the early summer). There is one wall of studs in the photos that will be gone soon, we are putting in the header sometime this week. I guess I forgot to take before pictures of the bathroom, so I will explain. The master & main bath share a wall, the main bath had a toilet that was in kind of a nook that cut into the master shower space, We moved that toilet and will now have a decent size shower in the master. The last photo is the design for a new stair railing, it will be finished with a wood hand rail on top that will match our hickory floors.

EDIT: I forgot to mention when phase 2 happens I will be blowing out the wall between the kitchen & the living room.

512598390.jpg

Last edited:

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Hope you didn't pay a plumber.
I assume you are referring to the shared drain for the Dual Vanities & the fact that there is only one vent? Or perhaps the plumbing for the single vanity on the backside shared wall with the tub?

If the later, that mess was existing I just raised the plumbing to fit the new vanity. If the former, well the cost involved in adding a second vent was not worth the minimal risk I run doing it the way it is.

Last edited:

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Picture 31 - Toilet flange going to be roughed below tile floor.

Picture 32 - Full on S trap. Some retard raised the drain above the vent and now the trap will not be vented. Trap will siphon when you let the sink go.

Picture 34 - TY on the horizontal. Should be a wye and a 45.

Water pipe looks like dogshit.

Your house though, so whatever.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Uber Uberest Uber Uberest

#31 I just removed 3/4 particle board that was the under lament in the bathrooms. Obviously particle board is a bad idea in bathrooms, but the rest of the house has it, so I will be adding 3/4 under lament back in the bathroom very soon & then the LVP on top of that. This way it will match the floor height in the hallway & throughout the rest of the house.

#32 I will be installing a P Trap with all 3 vanities, will that fix the concern you raise or am I missing your point?

#34 Here is a better photo, isn't that a 45?

I don't really know how to respond to the "Water Pipe looks like dogshit" comment, are you referring to the new Pex?

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
On the toilet, did not realize you were laying vinyl tile. I can't imagine doing all that work and then putting in vinyl tile. You'll be fine.

In picture 32 that drain needs to continue horizontally, it can not jump up. If an elevation change is required it should have been done by cutting out the existing TY on the stack and adding a coupling and then installing a new TY at the correct elevation.

Picture 34 I am talking about the TY on the horizontal, that picture is a TY on the vertical, that is the correct installation of a TY. You can not lay a TY on its side, it should have been a Wye and 45.

Ya the pex is straight dog shit. You tried to save money on fittings, I get it, but it's trash.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I sincerely appreciate the constructive feedback, but the the vague digs are not helpful. As someone new to a lot of this stuff I am trying to learn & do things the right way or as close to right as the project will allow. Keep in mind I am dealing with a home built in 1977 & most of this house is still original. In my experience the quality of homes dropped off severely in the 1970's & 1980's.

So I will ask you to clarify, what did you mean by...

I can't imagine doing all that work and then putting in vinyl tile.

Are you saying LVP is an unworthy product?

And this...

Ya the pex is straight dog shit. You tried to save money on fittings, I get it, but it's trash.

What exactly makes those fittings shit? And No, I was not trying to save money on them.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
He's over reacting. You're doing fine, and you're doing it yourself. Bravo. Next time you do it, you'll more than likely do some things differently. That's okay. I applaud you, sir. Fine work.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
My opinion is that vinyl tile is cheap and a terrible option for a bathroom.

You did not use any fittings on your pex. It's just big loops. You're completely ignorant to quality craftsmanship and proper installation of plumbing.

I do not mean for my digs to be vague, so I am sorry if they are. I want my digs to be as noticeable as possible. I want you to know that you are doing a disservice to your home and to the poor people in the future who buy your home.

I understand people watch home improvement shows and youtube videos and think they can do it all, but the pictures you posted are so terrible I felt the need to let you know.

I've expressed my concerns with the craftmanship, and told you how to remedy two of the problems. Good luck with your renovation, but I'd hire a plumber and electrician.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Uber is not a people person

Hell of an overhaul to take on yourself, good work.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Uber Uberest Uber Uberest I have no problem with you giving me constructive feedback & I do appreciate when you go into detail. I didn't mean your insults were vague I meant they were not helpful as they lack any tangible description. My issue is with a comment like "dogshit," is vague & doesn't help me understand what the specific problem is. Please help me understand why the loops are bad? I posted all those pictures fully knowing that I would be opening myself up to criticism (I don't mind that I actually welcome it), but this is the "Grown Up" area so I expect the criticism to be a little more on point.

Lastly regarding the flooring, you keep calling it tile. It is not tile it is LVP Luxury Vinyl Planking. The LVP will run continuous throughout the upstairs minus the bedrooms which will be carpet.

I am thankful for your feedback.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the electrical will be done by a professional & I have a professional plumber coming to check things out before I seal up the walls. The drywall finish will be done by a professional as well.