Home Improvement

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Just get the chainsaw and don't do anything from a zombie movie with it.

Keep the end that looks like a mangler away from your body.

At the risk of sounding crass, if time travel is ever perfected, go back in time and slap your dad for not teaching you how to use one.

Use a block under the end of the log part you are cutting, you don't want the log to pinch and grab the bar of the chainsaw.

It's designed to move away from you. If you want, practice on a small branch first.

stock-photo-man-sawing-wood-for-firewood-using-electric-chainsaws-202555789.jpg

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
So, steel toed boots, gloves, glasses, and hard hat. And don't be an idiot.

Never had a reason to own a chainsaw growing up. We lived in the typical suburbs with very few trees. Now I live on 4 acres and previous owners were idiots that planted everything. Chainsaw will help remove some of that. Don't need cherry trees if the birds just eat them all.

Uber Uberest

rdr^2
<Bronze Donator>
Get a pair of the chain clogging pants or overalls too. If shit hits the fan you'll thank god you had them.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
The first rule about chainsaws is don't buy an electric one.

The second rule is take your time and be very patient. Don't expect it to chew through the wood like a_skeleton_03 chews through rules. Start using it exactly as they tell you to - straight down cuts - until you get the feel for it. Once you understand its weight distribution, how it moves when you pull the throttle, and how long it takes to get through wood, then the tip and undercutting become very valuable tools.

You can get a pretty nice Stihl 14" chainsaw for a good price. They stand up, and have good power.

A couple more things:
1. make sure you use enough bar/chain oil. Fill that tank every time you fill your gas. You need to fill it often on electric chainsaws, too.
2. learn how to sharpen your chains, and get one or two extra. Having three sharp chains when you start a smallish projects guarantees you don't have much down time. I have a nice bench vice I put my chainsaw into out in the shop when it gets dull, and in about 4 minutes I can sharpen the chain still on the saw. This comes with much practice.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I was hoping to buy electric to reduce maintenance. I don't plan on using it that often, so I saw gas as a drawback. But, again, never used one, so my experience is nil.

Siliconemelons

I bought the cheap ass electric chainsaw from harbor freight and used it in the most horrifically not meant for that use - use when digging up 400ish sq feet of "1980's xeroscaping" in the back corner of my backyard - tearing through underground roots 1-4 inch thick and cutting out to scoop out oak tree shoots 4-6ft tall fuckers - its chain / teeth are completely shot now - the only cutting it does is by virtue of friction lol.

Read up on how to sharpen them and was like - I will just buy a new chain lol - if I had some big real GOOD saw and chain then sure, but this piddly pos - newp.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm going to build some wooden shelving in my storage room/shed. Is there a good online resource for calculating how much wood I'll need and how best to cut it, to minimize waste?

Siliconemelons

use a standard width that's available at home depot, buy it at a finished level that you like - cut with a chop saw, table saw or hand circular saw...

or if you have all the stuff to finish wood - well.... that's a different situation.

I drove myself batty sanding and finishing - cutting to size etc. the wood used to make my wife's closet- in the end I saved money but damn- should have just bought the "nice" stuff and said fuckit.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I'm going to build some wooden shelving in my storage room/shed. Is there a good online resource for calculating how much wood I'll need and how best to cut it, to minimize waste?

This is the best online resource for calculating how much wood you'll need

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I'm not too concerned with a nice finish. Just need some organization in what is currently just a pile of plastic bins and tools. I suppose I can just use my math skills.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I come to this thread for insults, not help. Anyway, I have to clear out and measure my storage room before I can give any good information yet.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
As of today Lowes now offers free shipping on all parcel orders if you have a mylowes account which is free to sign up for.
Doubt this will last forever because right now you can get silly things shipped like .40 cent plugs shipped free. Good for when you don't want to run to one just for small stuff.

Oldbased

> Than U
I need a fence segment, does that count?! damn no...
Sadly does not include truck delivery. My god their delivery service is shit as it is on being reliable and quick. Free online truck would be funny to see go down though.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Put up a chandelier. Wife ecstatic for a 30 minute job, need to do the easy shit more often

20170502_211813.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Put up a chandelier. Wife ecstatic for a 30 minute job, need to do the easy shit more often

View attachment 136948
If you want her dripping wet, replace those slatted blinds with cordless slat or powered slat. My god mine goes nuts for those things.

Corded slats are the devil for weight and leveling and working right. Cordless is a 1 finger operation. Trust me. It is worth the money. You could probably go nail 10 whores and she would forgive you if you installed these, especially in areas she uses them often.