Hotspot been jammed?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Marriott fined $600,000 for jamming guest hotspots - SlashGear

Marriott will cough up $600,000 in penalties after being caught blocking mobile hotspots so that guests would have to pay for its own WiFi services, the FCC has confirmed today. The fine comes after staff at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel and Convention Center in Nashville, Tennessee were found to be jamming individual hotspots and then charging people up to $1,000 per device to get online
Their response.

"Marriott has a strong interest in ensuring that when our guests use our Wi-Fi service, they will be protected from rogue wireless hotspots that can cause degraded service, insidious cyber-attacks and identity theft. Like many other institutions and companies in a wide variety of industries, including hospitals and universities, the Gaylord Opryland protected its Wi-Fi network by using FCC-authorized equipment provided by well-known, reputable manufacturers. We believe that the Gaylord Opryland's actions were lawful. We will continue to encourage the FCC to pursue a rulemaking in order to eliminate the ongoing confusion resulting from today's action and to assess the merits of its underlying policy."

Siliconemelons

out stuff has the ability built in to be able to do this but we do not have it on... basically whomevers signal is the strongest just kicks the other. I think you can set parameters so if something is attempting to boardcast with a SSI that is close to yours it will drowned it out- that to me sounds like the best midground.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That's pretty ridiculous. You're on private property, they should be able to do what they want. Heck, they should be able to block cell phone reception in their bulding if they want, as long as those policies are made aware to everyone. Maybe that was their problem, doing the blocking in secret rather than just being open about it.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
I would pay extra to go to a theater that somehow blocked/jammed electronic devices.
How hard would that be? Couldn't they just line the wall with some kind of metal mesh that acts as interference/dampening? I've never understand why some places didn't do that, or hell even build it into cars as a parental safety feature so your kid isn't texting & driving.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Then probably get sued b/c someone was trying to reach you b/c of accident/death and yea that wouldn't work. (even though it sounds great)

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
It's called a Faraday cage. And no, it will never happen because liability.

People on their phones at the movies are bored. They'll find some other way to annoy you.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Cell phone/wireless jamming is illegal. We own the rf spectrum, these fuckers just lease it, and Marriott has no business interfering in that.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Cell phone/wireless jamming is illegal. We own the rf spectrum, these fuckers just lease it, and Marriott has no business interfering in that.
Basically this. This type of shit is the very basis for the FCC existing. Marriott's excuses are lame as all fuck, everyone knows they were doing it so they could fuck people for internet access.

Df~_sl

shitlord
I can see how jamming wifi signals could be beneficial, as it is relatively easy to Wi-Fi spoof in Hotels and Starbucks...

I have seen many hotel wifi ask for your room number, name of account, and last 4 digits of card used to pay for room and thats more than enough information to start causing serious trouble.

Not informing patrons about their wifi jamming or providing free wifi access with their room is sort of ridiculous though.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
It's called a Faraday cage. And no, it will never happen because liability.

People on their phones at the movies are bored. They'll find some other way to annoy you.
Meh, when I was a kid and cell phones didn't exist, the only movie theater disruptions I ever witnessed were either rowdy teenagers or someone laughing retardedly at every stupid joke. Now you still have those situations, plus the plethora of people lighting up the movie theater with their super amoled screens and sms message beeps. Trust me when I say that the frustration of going to the movies has increased ten fold vis a vis 20 years ago.

I get that blocking cell phones is a potential liability due to emergencies, but somehow humanity managed to survive without any cell phones, both inside and outside of movie theaters. As someone mentioned above, I would totally pay extra to go to a theater that jammed cell phones.

/waves cane angrily at the youngins'

nate_sl

shitlord
I actually have first hand experience with this. Staying at the Marriott in Houston at George Bush Int'l airport, my Verizon Mifi Hotspot did not work, period. Usually it provides 4G internet anywhere 4G is available. I started asking around with coworkers and they were already aware their hotspots wouldn't work, citing this exact reason. Fuck Marriott, hope that potential $10/day internet fee was worth losing my business for the rest of my life.