EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
spring/woodlands area is crazy nice

when you move, go to a restaurant called "Escalantes."

best tex mex you will ever eat. their queso blanco is insane

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
The thing to know about Houston is there is no zoning I'm told. So you might have one nice ass street then some ghetto street right next to it. That's what all my coworkers in Houston say anyway.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I used to live in the Spring Woods area back in 93-95. It was exactly like Chanur said. I lived in a very nice neighborhood where houses and lawns were upkept, etc. You could go like 3 blocks away and it would be an asphalt sea of dilapidated strip malls. 3 blocks the other way and you could pick up as many Mexicans as you needed to help with home improvement projects.

Otherwise I kinda liked Houston. Some really great hole in the wall Vietnamese and Thai places. Some great BBQ in the area as well.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Went last week to find a place to rent (just bought a house in Memphis, of fucking course), managed to find a decent spot right on the edge of chinatown, 2 miles from work, 1 block from Kroger, and 1 block to the gym.

House of Pies was great.

As far as ghetto - nice neighborhood - ghetto, Memphis is the same way. You will have 15k houses, 2 blocks away 1.5 million dollar houses, then some condemned shit on the other side again.

I found some sketchy mexican dude that offered me a garage with an air mattress to sleep in for 450/mo. And some apartment complex with nothing but 60k + cars where you could only live there if your income was under 30k/yr . . . And they were nicer than most 1500/mo places. I spent like 2hrs trying to argue my way into that complex. And tried to talk my way into a retirement home that is right behind the office, since walking to work would be great. She wouldnt go for it either.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
The thing to know about Houston is there is no zoning I'm told. So you might have one nice ass street then some ghetto street right next to it. That's what all my coworkers in Houston say anyway.

It's more like you might have a 50 story office building on the exit of your neighborhood.

But honestly, Houston is nice for a large city. I grew up in the Sugar Land area for the first 16 years of my life. It was much different then (You could see the transco tower from Sugar Land!), but it's got a very nice vibrant culture, and tons of shit to do. I've never felt unsafe in Houston, either. The only real issues are the ridiculous flooding that goes on like earlier this year and hurricanes that hit galveston which go on to hit Houston (eg: Hurricane Ike)

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Man it's like anytime it rains down there you get flooding. Also I hope you love humidity and unbearable heat. I will admit after living in Boston, Chicago, and Houston. I enjoyed my time in Houston more than the other two.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Man it's like anytime it rains down there you get flooding. Also I hope you love humidity and unbearable heat.

Not true. While flooding has been bad in the spring the last couple of years, it has been due to freak storms that have been dropping over 30" of rain in less than 48 hours or continued showers that have lasted for nearly a week, in which in turned overwhelmed the man-made flood control plains, bayous, and Brazos River.

Anyways if you are looking at suburbs, Cinco Ranch, Sugar Land, Pearland, and Tomball are pretty good areas. If you are looking at living in the city, Midtown has undergone some massive gentrification up and down Washington Street, Bellaire/Rice Village is still good, and Westheimer inside of Beltway 8 all the way through the Galleria has some pretty good choices of houses, townhomes or apartments.

Vinen

God is dead
Not true. While flooding has been bad in the spring the last couple of years, it has been due to freak storms that have been dropping over 30" of rain in less than 48 hours or continued showers that have lasted for nearly a week, in which in turned overwhelmed the man-made flood control plains, bayous, and Brazos River.

Anyways if you are looking at suburbs, Cinco Ranch, Sugar Land, Pearland, and Tomball are pretty good areas. If you are looking at living in the city, Midtown has undergone some massive gentrification up and down Washington Street, Bellaire/Rice Village is still good, and Westheimer inside of Beltway 8 all the way through the Galleria has some pretty good choices of houses, townhomes or apartments.

You mean Global Climate Change storms.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
giphy.gif

Harshaw

Throbbing Member

Like I said, I lived there in the early 90's and in the Spring Woods area. That shit used to flood all the time. Especially on Gessner. If they finally fixed the water drainage then that's different.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
the amount of development they are doing around lake woodlands is insane.

you absolutely need to check it out asap

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
My office is on Gessner, Scores and Vivid clubs on Westheimer, Morton's is downtown, along with 10+ tower cranes . . . that's about all I know.