Houston, moving there.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Just seconding that Pearland / Sugarland are good areas...

Great fucking music scene (although I guess it depends on what you're into really, but there is lots of everything) with incredible lineups pretty much all the time. Lots of night life and shit to do if you want to be stupid and have fun. By contrast, also tons of things to do if you want to be a responsible adult. Lots of parks and public places to hang out and shit. Cool people, by far and large mostly everyone is pretty nice. You will catch a lot of different vibes throughout the city - hustlers, country folk, upper crust dickwads, drug addicts, criminals/pieces of shit, smart and well cultured friendly people. It's just a huge city man. Some really, really good food as well. I'll try and think of some restaurant names to throw in here later. There are really good schools in Houston as well if that's something you need. Just do a lot of exploring and stay away from chain/corporate anything - there are way too many awesome and unique places in Houston to be doing the same shit you could do in any big city.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
I've gotta head to our Houston office for 6 days starting next Sunday. Any must eat type shit in the main downtown area or places to check out? I don't think I'll be renting a car so it would have to be walkable.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
I've gotta head to our Houston office for 6 days starting next Sunday. Any must eat type shit in the main downtown area or places to check out? I don't think I'll be renting a car so it would have to be walkable.

Most of the downtown bars are by Market Square Park. Flying Saucer and Conservatory are both close to that area as well. There are other places spread around downtown, and plenty of pricey places to eat.

If you go down by the Astros and Dynamo stadiums, the East Downtown area has a bunch of places as well. 8th Wonder and Saint Arnolds breweries are both close to downtown. MKT Bar is right across from the convention center and has good food and drinks.

I'm probably overlooking some places. Anything you are looking for in particular?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Thanks, Haast. Nah, nothing in particular just always like checking out the local favorites. When people come to LA, I tell them they have to check out a few places like Father's Office or Wurstkuche so I was just looking for must-try things.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thanks, Haast. Nah, nothing in particular just always like checking out the local favorites. When people come to LA, I tell them they have to check out a few places like Father's Office or Wurstkuche so I was just looking for must-try things.

Coincidentally, I went to Father's Office when I went to LA.

Depends on your drink of choice for the can't miss place(s) in Downtown. Since I like beer, I prefer Conservatory. 60+ taps & several good choices for food in one location. Not expensive either. You can even see what they have on tap in real-time.

• 1Like

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Houston is better than I anticipated to be honest. It was pretty bizarre coming into downtown on Sunday night and seeing a goddamn ghost town. Like, literally could count the people on the street with my hands. There was also a Women's Tech conference in town so there seemed to be an abundance of H1B's and hippos walking around. I meant to get around more but instead basically ended up at the Flying Saucer every night after work for beer and tits and then find a food spot. Frank's pizza was pretty decent and Jackson St BBQ was the absolute bomb.

Smithy

Trakanon Raider
spring/woodlands area is crazy nice

when you move, go to a restaurant called "Escalantes."

best tex mex you will ever eat. their queso blanco is insane

Don't listen to this asshole. It's decent, white washed tex-mex, but there's far better. There's so much good food in Houston, I seriously can't name all the best places. Just be prepared to drive. Only must go place is Killen's BBQ.

This city sucks though.

And for whoever said the music scene is good, lmaoooo. Though Day for Night has a dope ass lineup, it's about the only thing Houston has going for it.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Warehouse Live, Scout Bar, and the Redneck Country Club are all good music venues for live music (depending on your taste).

Rikkon

Lord Nagafen Raider
House or blues has a good show once a month or so, fitzgeralds Firehouse are good venues as well

Houston free music press is a fun event buT a little pricey and hot as fuck due to the time of year.

Franklin st is good BBQ downtown, Pappas steak house is a great steak, so is steak 48. El tiempo is good Tex mex and state of grace has exceptional seafood.

Houston is a good city because there is always something to do, the economy is picking back up & the cost of living is low for such a large city. traffic can blow but I rarely leave my hood (west u / upper Kirby) so I don't have to deal with it except occasionally to and from downtown for work

fris

Vyemm Raider
anywhere you want to go is at least 30 minutes away. rush hour can get bad, but nothing like Dallas. there's 'bayous' everywhere. so if a street is flooded, then it's a hell of a lot of rain. and a hell of a lot of rain usually happens about twice a year. normal rain happens every few weeks.

4th or 5th largest city in the US, so there's something for everyone. outside of living downtown, public trans sucks for such a big city. plan on driving anywhere, and it taking at least 30 minutes. I-10 is wider than a parking lot now though, so you rarely drive slower than 50 even during rush hour.

my fav was so many late night places to eat. Mai's? Vietnamese, but that was 15 years ago. TONS of taquerias. if it's slow, you can tip and usually get a beer after hours. 2am and bars can't serve alcohol anymore. Mama's too, miss that place.

houston doesn't really stand out as best at anything, except maybe the hospitals. i'd take it any day over dallas, but prefer Austin most

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Frank's pizza I have heard is ok, referred to Killen's by the coworker I trust 100% to refer me to restaurants at this point.

Pappa's is 20$ for a decent sandwich, place is shit imo. El Tiempo is total dogshit, and I mean total dogshit. Lopez is better tex mex.

For something good, I prefer La Telera (sp?) and La Balla. La Telera I can order my 1 thing I eat, but I cant read the menu or communicate beyond my 1 thing + a litre of Mexican coke. Lol. La Balla, I don't even go w/o my coworker cause I don't even know wtf he orders for us there. La Telera (off hillcroft and 59?) is prolly my favorite place. La cubana and a Mexican coke is my go to.

There is a good Vietnamese place off West street. All the way up gessner, left on west, go past Kroger then maybe 2 or 3 lights on the left by a chase. First place I have ever been to that made spring rolls which could compete with the Vietnamese family I grew up with back home.

Then there are some byob "clubs" . . . this is new to me, but its proving to be interesting.

Superbowl might be interesting this year as well, first time living in a city hosting it.

Oh, and there is a taco truck east of downtown . . . its one of those "my coworker knows about it" things. Went, it was pretty damn good. But then again he is Mexican, grew up in the ghetto here, never left Houston, so a 35 year native and knows all those little hole in the wall spots where you can grab amazing food. So at this point, I only trust his references on where to eat. Have never had a bad recommendation from him.

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
House or blues has a good show once a month or so, fitzgeralds Firehouse are good venues as well

Houston free music press is a fun event buT a little pricey and hot as fuck due to the time of year.

Franklin st is good BBQ downtown, Pappas steak house is a great steak, so is steak 48. El tiempo is good Tex mex and state of grace has exceptional seafood.

Houston is a good city because there is always something to do, the economy is picking back up & the cost of living is low for such a large city. traffic can blow but I rarely leave my hood (west u / upper Kirby) so I don't have to deal with it except occasionally to and from downtown for work

/agree

I try to avoid going to Houston generally. The few times a year I will go are for music. FPSF is worth every penny, buy early and you get it cheaper. If you're not acclimated to the heat make sure and bring a camelbak. Fitzgeralds is great. House of Blues gets some good acts but the acoustics are shitty and it's too small.
Best concert I've ever been to was a few days before Halloween in 2010 at the Verizon Wireless Theater in Houston, Clutch+Children of Bodom+Black Label Society together. Rocked me to the bone.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
He refers to it as the third ward or some other thing I can't remember. Never heard him say barrio

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
That is because 3rd Ward is not a poor mexican/latino area. It is a heavily poor black area.

• 1Like