Houston, moving there.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
So, I was literally going to quit my job next Friday and then I get called in and asked if I want to take a slight raise, nominal title bump and paid moving costs to move to Houston and take over the office there where I would be the boss, basically. The cost of living calculator makes it look like I'm going to be fucking Scarface if I choose to go.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
So, I was literally going to quit my job next Friday and then I get called in and asked if I want to take a slight raise, nominal title bump and paid moving costs to move to Houston and take over the office there where I would be the boss, basically. The cost of living calculator makes it look like I'm going to be fucking Scarface if I choose to go.

Make sure I get an invite to the mountain of cocaine move-in party.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I didn't see this thread before but I am in Houston and work downtown. There are hotels available now because they built the hell out of them for the last Superbowl; it was crunch time then but should be better this go-round, particularly since "Lower for Longer" is still driving corporate behavior.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
How's the tech economy there? I'm reading on reddit that O&G dudes have been out of work for like a goddamn year. That's concerning because I don't want to get stranded there and I don't plan on retiring from my current company.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
How's the tech economy there? I'm reading on reddit that O&G dudes have been out of work for like a goddamn year. That's concerning because I don't want to get stranded there and I don't plan on retiring from my current company.

Houston's economy is fairly diverse and has plenty of opportunities in tech. It's more grim for people completely specialized in O&G (like petroleum engineers) when that industry goes through a bust cycle. But yeah, it doesn't help when the O&G industry dumps a shitload of professionals into the market all at once.

• 1Solidarity

Morsakin

Golden Knight of the Realm
Houston's economy is fairly diverse and has plenty of opportunities in tech. It's more grim for people completely specialized in O&G (like petroleum engineers) when that industry goes through a bust cycle. But yeah, it doesn't help when the O&G industry dumps a shitload of professionals into the market all at once.

This is true, unless you find yourself working for a company not involved in E&P or at least one not heavily reliant upon such companies. Work at Phillips 66 in our new HQ south of I-10 & Beltway 8, and we laid off like ~100 folks last year. Not sure if I want to buy a house in the area seeing as prices continue to rise and it's estimated that a disproportionately large amount of the city's aggregate population are going to be living within a ~10 mile radius of I-10 / Beltway 8 due to the Energy Corridor, which I can personally see coming true.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
Going to meet Chanur for a beer in the next week or 2. Open invite to forum pals in the area.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Shit, I missed this thread. I will compile a list of good eats no matter where you are, but off the top of my head.

Fadis is fucking amazing if you like Mediterranean food. phoenicia specialty foods Is a middle eastern grocery store buy also great food in the back, I recommend the spicy beef pie things.

Market 99 is asian grocery store but also has good and cheap restaurants inside for anything you are looking for.
I mention these because if you don't lnow you don't go in.

Jumps bar and grill is the bar to go to for hole in the wall karaoke with 10 dollar buckets and pitchers. I will keep an eye on this thread so if anyone is going to Jumps first pitcher is on me.

I avoid downtown at all costs so aside from the muesuems, parks and the zoo I am out of touch with the scene.

Most of gessner is the Martin Luther king Blvd if the area, don't get stuck on gessner at night.

Fuck all people in the roads you no blinker using, no idea how to merge, ass riding, brake checking fucking pieces if shit....you are the reason I hate this city.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Again, I work downtown, so it wouldn't be so bad for me but I can imagine it you don't go there every day and have a place to park, it could be discombobulating. Easier to meet along Midtown/Upper Kirby/Montrose for folks if you are looking for something craft/hipster. Personally, I live SW currently and have spent almost all of my Houston life along SW 59 in one form or the other, so all of the places that come to mind are Downtown/Uptown/Midtown/Kirby/Galleria/Southwest Freeway/I-10 out to the beltway.

This will be the worst week in 10 years to do anything near Downtown, though, since the Superbowl is killing traffic and parking. Not on Sunday, mind you, but my parking garage on Main Street had signs for people parking for the NFL Experience yesterday with CRAZY hours. Work is talking about all kinds of things for later in the week due to the crush.

it was cool watching them practice approaches with various military helicopters yesterday. They flew what we were best able to determine was a Pave Hawk around for a couple of hours.

Last edited:

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
if anyone is going to Jumps first pitcher is on me.

Sounds like we are going to Jumps. Lol

Fuck all people in the roads you no blinker using, no idea how to merge, ass riding, brake checking fucking pieces if shit....you are the reason I hate this city.

The driving here is abnormally bad. But I will admit, it is kinda fun driving my old jeep, and playing the game of "I give less of a fuck about my car than you do your car" game with ppl.

Edited for grammar*

Last edited:

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I work near IAH George Bush Airport.

Last edited:

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Any chance you guys go a little more central? Kirby Ice House was a good suggestion. Or maybe 8th Wonder? Axelrad? Bar Munich?

Jump's would be a trek for me (like >50 mins away w/ zero traffic), so I'd pass this round. No worries, we could always do a different place in the future if the meetup is fun.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Never been but Kirby Ice House looks good and it is about as close to downtown as I will go, I know I sound like a boring old man but I just hate drunk college kids as every experience with them has been leave or I start punching people. Last time was at the Kung Fu Saloon some random dude completely hammered by 11pm maybe 22-23 years old would just lean in to the table making the most annoying sound in the world from dumb and dumber.

• 1Solidarity

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
297.png

• 1Like