How am I being scammed

stonewall_sl

shitlord
For the last two weeks I have been getting calls from different schools wanting to give me the information I requested ( I never requested any information) and I also have had a few calls in the first two days of this wanting to follow up on loan requests ( I never applied for a loan ).

Most of the calls have been to my cell phone but some were my house phone I have also received a couple texts from these Schools and 1 email from the School to my business email account. All of the people in the calls speak good English and when I tell them I did not request any information they never ask any additional questions or try any scam on me.
My questions are how did all of my information get out there?
What risks am I dealing with?
How do i make it stop?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
did you piss anyone (real life) off? sounds like someone who knows your email/address/phone number put you on a mailing list.

No different than if you "ask for a quote" you quickly get tons of solicitations

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yep, someone requested a quote online, and put your contact info into the request.

I made the mistake when I was young and dumb over a decade ago to get on Lendingtree.com just to see how much of a home loan I could qualify for. I got calls every day for 3 months after that. I'm sure it's even worse nowadays.

Someone doesn't like you

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Loan requests? Sounds like you might be the victim of identity fraud. Might want to check into that.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
I'd agree. If you didn't request anything of the sort someone is either fucking with you and added you to a spam list (harmless but annoying) or someone maybe got your info and tried using it for identity theft purposes.

Quick free credit report would confirm the later. Just look at the recent pulls.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Just FYI

Creditkarma.com is a legitimately good site. They used to only give you an "estimate" of your credit score, but now they are partnered with TransUnion and Experian(2 of the 3 major credit bureaus) to give you your exact credit score & report, on demand, at any time.

Service is 100% free, I've been using it for a couple years. The worst they do is send you the occasional email saying "based on your credit score, you're qualified for this credit card, or loan, or whatever)

If you can put up with 1-2 advertising emails per month, it's a great free service

Free Credit Report Free Credit Score. No Credit Card Required.

they'll also send you alerts when something changes. I applied for a new credit card a couple months back, online through my bank, and within 15 minutes I had an email alert from creditkarma saying "a change to your credit has occured, please log in to view the details" and it was all right there, a credit hit from Bank of America. I got the alert FAST

stonewall_sl

shitlord
I also use Credit Karma and I have never given out any info online about my cell or business email so i'm not sure how they got it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I also use Credit Karma and I have never given out any info online about my cell or business email so i'm not sure how they got it.
You'd be surprised how many lazy employees make it easy for people to get private information. You only hear about major data breaches in the news. You never hear about smaller PCI, HIPAA and the like infractions. But trust me, shit like that happens every day.