I need medical advice - blew out my ankle

Feien

Ploppers
I twisted my ankle badly while playing soccer once. I didn't get it checked since after a couple of weeks I felt better, not perfect, but better. However it seems like I did have a hairline fracture that slowly started sawing through my tendon. At one point the tendon snapped which was incredibly painful. After a few months and some physical therapy it healed, but now it looks like I have two ankles and foot hurts in the winter.

• 1Islamic
Reactions: 1 user

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I twisted my ankle badly while playing soccer once. I didn't get it checked since after a couple of weeks I felt better, not perfect, but better. However it seems like I did have a hairline fracture that slowly started sawing through my tendon. At one point the tendon snapped which was incredibly painful. After a few months and some physical therapy it healed, but now it looks like I have two ankles and foot hurts in the winter.
Can you prescribe me some of the physical therapy exercises you used?

• 1Faggotry

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Go see a doctor unless you want to risk some long term problems, it's that simple. On the other hand this kind of thing heals rather slowly, so definitely don't rush any sports for at least a month more.

• 1Hodjing

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I can't help you directly, but I can say that last week I started going to a physical therapist to correct an injury I got from sprained ankle 10 years ago that hadn't healed correctly. I've experience rapid improvement to a problem that was very specific and goofy. Now when I run for more than a kilometer instead of one muscle on my leg hurting because something small is mechanically wrong my entire body hurts because I'm out of shape.

My guess is that without going to a doctor, getting a referral to PT and going there to get it evaluated you'll just be rolling the dice on whether you treat it properly or not.

• 1Nationalist

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
You might want to consider going to a Chiropractor.

I got a pretty bad tear in my knee cartilage ( meniscus ) about a year and a half ago. I had a CAT scan and the doctors were telling me I needed key hole surgery and I was placed on the public hospital waiting list. Which would have taken more than a year. Doing some research into that, there are risks, still kinda small compared to other surgeries but they are there, things like the surgery not going well, post-surgery infections + more.

I have for a long time gone to a Chiropractor and he was telling me that he could help it to heal by restoring movement and letting the body's own systems repair it. No surgery would be needed.

Important to note, I was in fact dubious of his claims, but went along with it, planing to have the surgery once my name was called. The Chiropractor was quickly able to improve my mobility. So I was happy enough with that . . . after waiting on the surgery waiting list for 6 months. i was sent a letter saying that I was being dropped from the surgery waiting list due to some silly clerical fuck up that I wont go into here - nothing I knew about until I got that letter anyway, if I still wanted the surgery, I'd go back to the back of the line.

So I decided " to hell with them " and stuck with the Chiropractor, all is going fine now.

- - - - - -
edit: just to add, sort of important to note is that the healing of my knee was a slow process, it just slowly got better, little bit by little bit. And as a good thing, there were no set backs, the improvement just kept coming in tiny amounts. Patience I have it.

Last edited:
  • 1Blown

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
Here’s what happened to me. I sprained my ankle running pretty bad this year, it got really swollen, I was told it was half torn. I had a marathon to run 1.5 weeks after I sprained it so I went to a physiotherapist specializing in sports injuries. He was great and gave me lots of exercises to do for my ankle and taught me how to tape it up. I taped it 24/7 for the next 1.5 weeks, did all exercises religiously (alphabet with ankle, straight/angled in/angled out calf raises, lunges, 3 sets of 15, 3 times a day. I took a bucket of ice water and put my ankle in for 1 min, then in the bathtub in hot water for 1 min and alternated for 15min. I was able to run the marathon in like 3:20, not as fast as normal but given my ankle I was very happy. Do not skimp on the exercises, this was back in June and I still feel my ankle is not 100% now but i'm able to train and run without problems.

• 1Like

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Yeah I'm not going to a doctor unless this hasn't resolved itself by the end of the year. I'm on a high deductible plan and last time I went in for something seemingly inane it cost me almost a grand. I messed around with it last night and there's been some significant improvement where I could probably run on it if I wanted. I'm not that shocked that it's taken this long to heal given how bad it was and that I did almost nothing for it the first week despite not being able to put any weight on it. Plus I keep hitting the gym anyway which I'm sure isn't helping. It's very unlikely I broke anything as I've never broken anything in my life and my bones are pretty much adamantium. If there are some exercises I should be doing though I would love to know what they are.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
1. Lay down and write the alphabet with the affected ankle. Use the full range of motion.
2. Calf raises, make sure your ankle doesn't roll when you do them. Start with your feet facing forward then angle then out then angle them inwards, do 3 sets of 15 a day for each.
3. repeat calf raises above but with a small bend in knees, 3 sets of 15 a day for each.
4. Ice/Hot bath as above, once a day before bed
5. Tape your ankle, especially when you go the gym. Taping works wonders. Get some of that KT tape and lookup online how to wrap an ankle.

• 1Like

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can get it evaluated by a physical therapist without going to a doctor now.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yeah I'm not going to a doctor unless this hasn't resolved itself by the end of the year. I'm on a high deductible plan and last time I went in for something seemingly inane it cost me almost a grand. I messed around with it last night and there's been some significant improvement where I could probably run on it if I wanted. I'm not that shocked that it's taken this long to heal given how bad it was and that I did almost nothing for it the first week despite not being able to put any weight on it. Plus I keep hitting the gym anyway which I'm sure isn't helping. It's very unlikely I broke anything as I've never broken anything in my life and my bones are pretty much adamantium. If there are some exercises I should be doing though I would love to know what they are.

Take a trip to Thailand and get the whole thing taken care of for a few hundred bucks while having change left over for an Asian harem. Thanks Obama.

• 1Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
So Memorial day weekend I was drunk playing basketball with my friend and I sprained my ankle badly twice in the span of about 3 minutes. I could barely walk for a few weeks after that and it's much better now than it was then but still not nearly 100%. Like, I wouldn't consider running on it right now and it's starting to concern me. What can I do to accelerate the healing process here? Are there like physical therapy exercises I can do to make sure it heals right? The only thing I know for sure is I am not going to a doctor.

Stop sucking dick in the parking lot and these "basketball" injuries won't happen.

• 1Ice Burn

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
How do you blow out your ankle twice by sucking dick in the parking lot?

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Bullshit
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Don't apply logic to my terrible jokes!

• 1Ice Burn

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I never broke a bone either until a couple years ago. Quit trying to be a tough guy.

• 1Faggotry

Tim

Molten Core Raider
When I was in high school I did nearly the exact same thing. Turned my ankle once playing basketball, kept playing through it, then badly rolled it over. Never went to an MD, toughed it out for a couple weeks, the pain finally went away.... but 16-17 years later it is still a little weaker than the other side and also randomly pops when I walk. And I did that as an indestructible teenager. I can't imagine how much worse that would be in my 30's.

Just go see a doctor, dude.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Honestly, a doctor will do shit all about your problems. They will mostly tell you to take advil and rest. Ones that do care about their patients will probably refer you out to an physical therapist for rehab.

You can do resistant band exercises to strengthen your leg muscles through eccentric contraction, but don't do it the way shown in the video posted by Regime. Any competent physical therapist will tell you to put one side of the band around a chair or table so you stabilize yourself if you lose balance.

When you feel better, run in the sand. One of the best exercise for strengthening your leg muscles to increase stability. If running in the sand is not an option, do kickboxing or Muay Thai.

EDIT: Since you're not going to see a professional I'll give you some exercise you can do at home. The longer you wai the worse it becomes.

You didn't specify which way you sprained your ankle but I'm going to assume it was an ankle inversion. Do this exercise 3 times a day 10-20 reps. Increase resistant band strength as you feel better.

Very simple exercise to supplement the resistant band exercise.

This is similar to what I would suggest someone do when they feel stronger.

Raise your leg further back as you feel stronger and try to reach for the floor. Then you can do it on a bosu ball or a balance disc as your balance increases.

Last edited: