Investing General Discussion

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I wish I would have bought $70k worth of TSLA instead of an actual Tesla a couple months ago.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I wish I would have bought $70k worth of TSLA instead of an actual Tesla a couple months ago.

Are you the fuck in the black Model X that drives down 75 like fucking Morgan Freeman getting road head from Ms. Daisy?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Are you the fuck in the black Model X that drives down 75 like fucking Morgan Freeman getting road head from Ms. Daisy?

No I'm the fuck in the red P85 or red 911 that thinks speed limits are for pussies.

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm in love with utilities lately.

Bought a ton (for me) of AQN, ALA, ENB, TA.

Also bought a little O, OHI, GIS, NKE.

Sold BEN

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have been sitting on about $200k cash since December, but I do not think anyone expected to see this post-election rally. I feel like I am sitting on the sidelines missing all the action. This bull run can't go on forever.

Advice for someone sitting on cash?

I did that for a while last year, about 40% in cash /short term bonds. I went all in and just secured a line a credit to buy if the market falls off a cliff. That and my margin should have me sitting pretty in a crash.

I'm still hoping for a massive crash. Just to watch rappers sell all their gold Jewelry like they did in 08.

8 Figures for Cads retirement, great work.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
My wife and I are 32 and 29. We max out our Roth's. We hold 15k in cash for an emergency fund and the rest goes into SWPPX. We don't hold anything other than SWPPX. Does this sound generally right for our age?

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
My wife and I are 32 and 29. We max out our Roth's. We hold 15k in cash for an emergency fund and the rest goes into SWPPX. We don't hold anything other than SWPPX. Does this sound generally right for our age?

it's 98% perfect, the technically correct answer is to be to have a little broader diversification than just the big cap in the S&P 500 but to be honest it gets the job done in the simplest manner possible.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If I remember the math correctly, someone who maxes just an IRA should have enough to retire in 30 years. If you start throwing money into a 401k, you can likely retire earlier.

it's 98% perfect, the technically correct answer is to be to have a little broader diversification than just the big cap in the S&P 500 but to be honest it gets the job done in the simplest manner possible.
To expound on this, that's why people like "Total Market" indexes so much. You get the S&P 500 plus some mid-cap and a tiny bit of small (VTSAX is 73% large, 18% mid, 9% small).

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
If I remember the math correctly, someone who maxes just an IRA should have enough to retire in 30 years. If you start throwing money into a 401k, you can likely retire earlier.

To expound on this, that's why people like "Total Market" indexes so much. You get the S&P 500 plus some mid-cap and a tiny bit of small (VTSAX is 73% large, 18% mid, 9% small).

What is the max you can do in a 401k?

Also, does employer contributions count toward that max? coming up on 30 myself, and while I've got a lil saved I want to take my recent raise and start maxing my 401k contributions.

Nevermind, I looked at this and it appears that 18k is my max.

If I wanted to retire at 65, and start maxing my 401k at 18k yearly at 30....What kinda money am I looking at at retirement?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
What is the max you can do in a 401k?

Also, does employer contributions count toward that max? coming up on 30 myself, and while I've got a lil saved I want to take my recent raise and start maxing my 401k contributions.

Nevermind, I looked at this and it appears that 18k is my max.

If I wanted to retire at 65, and start maxing my 401k at 18k yearly at 30....What kinda money am I looking at at retirement?

401k Calculator - Bankrate.com

My numbers would give $3.2M @ 8% average returns if you invested $18k yearly for 35 years.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The pessimist in me thinks 6% CAGR overall is a safer calc. The crazy gains of the 80s / 90s will be pretty tough to beat in an economy that is quickly becoming a global market.

Also Big_w_powah Big_w_powah The 18k is your contribution only. Employer matching doesn't count towards that cap, but does have it's own separate cap. It's pretty damn rare to have employers hitting cap though, as it is very generous. These caps are also increasing nearly every year. It was only $11k cap back when I started in 2002. You can see the history of increases in this chart:

historical-401k-contribution-limits.png

Last edited:

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
The pessimist in me thinks 6% CAGR overall is a safer calc. The crazy gains of the 80s / 90s will be pretty tough to beat in an economy that is quickly becoming a global market.

Also Big_w_powah Big_w_powah The 18k is your contribution only. Employer matching doesn't count towards that cap, but does have it's own separate cap. It's pretty damn rare to have employers hitting cap though, as it is very generous. These caps are also increasing nearly every year. It was only $11k cap back when I started in 2002. You can see the history of increases in this chart:

View attachment 132713

My Company match is pretty shit, but would land me around an extra 5k.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My Company match is pretty shit, but would land me around an extra 5k.

I make 6 figures for a Fortune 100 company and the cheap fucks still only pay 50% match on the first 6% of my pay as a company policy. You're not doing too bad.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Double check the fees you're paying on your 401k. If they're too high, you're probably better off only contributing enough to benefit from employer matching and investing the rest yourself through vanguard. I've heard horror stories on 401k fees