Investing General Discussion

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
You mean 16% right? You also didn't take into account my wife's 15% on her job.

Also I have a paid government pension in 2 more years.

Yeah, I will be just fine and then some.

You'll be way ahead of most people. I tend to forget about the FERS pension as you don't really have much control over how it's calculated. The TSP is just the cherry on top. I work for Social Security and it's shocking to see that some people have absolutely nothing vested. A decent percentage of people just simply end up on welfare and that's really no way to live.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
JNJ stop moved to 119 and entered XOM yesterday at 81.

Market has moved so fast without pullback good value getting hard to find. Really hoping we get at least a 3-5% pullback before summer.

Stop on JNJ moved to 123, looks like we are going to go play with the all time high at 126

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Wouldn't the anticipated dividend be priced in?

Of course that's why I mention it to make sure people aware of that, some prefer to wait till after the divy to enter.

Technically the price drops on the ex div date by the amount of dividend but 1 micro second later that will blur in the normal days price action. Companies that have been paying dividends for decades it's not about pricing in the next dividend, you can argue it's priced in the dividend in perpetuity.

My personal trading experience is that you are better off not avoiding the dividends, would only give me pause the day before the divy or if the stock had a small float. Even on my shorter term portfolio I shoot for 2.5-3% of my annual return to be from dividends.

Last edited:

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Of course that's why I mention it to make sure people aware of that, some prefer to wait till after the divy to enter.

Technically the price drops on the ex div date by the amount of dividend but 1 micro second later that will blur in the normal days price action. Companies that have been paying dividends for decades it's not about pricing in the next dividend, you can argue it's priced in the dividend in perpetuity.

My personal trading experience is that you are better off not avoiding the dividends, would only give me pause the day before the divy or if the stock had a small float. Even on my shorter term portfolio I shoot for 2.5-3% of my annual return to be from dividends.

I can't avoid dividends without getting totally screwed since I mostly buy and hold the big indexes, so I just eat the dividends, which is annoying because it's a meaningful amount of "income" each year that I have to pay taxes on rather than paying that tax later. I'd like it if the dividends just stacked in a mutual fund or ETF index and you paid tax on all of it later, but they don't and it's annoying.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I can't avoid dividends without getting totally screwed since I mostly buy and hold the big indexes, so I just eat the dividends, which is annoying because it's a meaningful amount of "income" each year that I have to pay taxes on rather than paying that tax later. I'd like it if the dividends just stacked in a mutual fund or ETF index and you paid tax on all of it later, but they don't and it's annoying.

Would love if reinvested dividends was a no tax event, fortunately tax rate on qualified div not horrible. Have to watch those MLP's though, they are becoming a lot more common with the US energy boom but their dividends are not qualified.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Would love if reinvested dividends was a no tax event, fortunately tax rate on qualified div not horrible. Have to watch those MLP's though, they are becoming a lot more common with the US energy boom but their dividends are not qualified.

It's not horrible it just means X% of the taxes when I eventually start withdrawing will already be paid. Each dividend raises my avg purchase price slightly.

I already pay quite enough taxes and don't enjoy getting little presents for the IRS from Vanguard. :)

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
It's not horrible it just means X% of the taxes when I eventually start withdrawing will already be paid. Each dividend raises my avg purchase price slightly.

I already pay quite enough taxes and don't enjoy getting little presents for the IRS from Vanguard. :)

I've been loving last few years as self employment income dissipats and replaced with div, cap gains and Sched E real estate. I'm making less per year now over all but oddly it seems preferable with a tax bill that is about 1/4th what it use to be. (I'm sure stress level plays a role to)

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Well, that's why we use stops. I was stopped out of XOM for a lousy .50/share gain. Oil taking a down turn here means more pain likely ahead.

Wingz

Being Poor Sucks.
A recent documentary put up by Frontline, I thought it was very interesting:

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I pulled my money out of the market when the DOW was at around 18k because of the volatility around the election and all the market signs pointing to a downturn. Now here we are around 21k and and I am in this awkward place where I don't want to jump back in because I'm buying at a peak but it doesn't seem like the market cares about economic numbers (however, even those are coming around). Anyone else in a similar boat?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I pulled my money out of the market when the DOW was at around 18k because of the volatility around the election and all the market signs pointing to a downturn. Now here we are around 21k and and I am in this awkward place where I don't want to jump back in because I'm buying at a peak but it doesn't seem like the market cares about economic numbers (however, even those are coming around). Anyone else in a similar boat?

Exhibit A as to why market timing doesn't work

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Ugh, well it is a little more complicated than that. I moved to my 3rd job in 4 years in October and decided to pull all of my 401ks together. So i took the balances and put them in money market accounts because of the reasons stated above and then the markets took off after the election which was before I made the move to consolidate. So it wasn't ALL market timing; however, a healthy does of it was stupidity in market timing.