IP Video Cameras

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I recently bought a few of these cheapo video cameras that I could throw in my baby's bedroom and the kids' playroom in order to keep an eye on them.

Amazon.com : YI Home Camera Wireless IP Security Surveillance System (US Edition) White : Camera & Photo

They work through a smart phone application that's pretty decent, but me being a tech dude, I really would rather just have access to the stream and not have it calling home to China.

I downloaded a copy of the firmware from the Yi website and unpacked it and mounted it up. It's a small copy of Linux so it looks like it should be pretty easy to hack the way I want it. There are some people who've already made some scripts to do the stuff I want as well.

These cameras also use the Hisilicon 3518 board which seems to be the most popular ip camera board from China. I found an SDK for another model of camera, so that may work for this one as well. I have yet to determine if these are using the 3518C or E but I suspect E since that is the cheaper model.

I'm going to order another one to experiment with soon as I found some instructions on how to access the console, but it requires soldering and I don't want to fuck up the ones I have set up already.

Google has produced these resources thus far:

GitHub - fritz-smh/yi-hack: Xiaomi Yi Ants camera hack
GitHub - 4clouds/yi-stream: An attempt to make "YI Home camera" a standalone rtmp streaming solution.
http://xiaoyi.querex.be

Last edited: