Juicers

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i'm thinking about getting into Juicing because to this point i've lived a pretty unhealthy lifestyle and i think it's time to turn that around if i want to live until the singularity so I can become immortal. would appreciate some recommendations on what the best juicers out there are. my one criteria is that i know that i'm too lazy to really do any chopping or prep work for this thing, so i'm going to need one that can pretty much take entire fruits / vegetables, if such thing exists.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just get a Vitamix and blend the fuck out of whatever you put in it. If you really must get rid of the pulp then strain it with a nutmilk bag or cheese cloth.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
i actually enjoy pulp... do juicers not get pulp?
I think a lot of them just extract the juice. I love the Vitamix. You can get one fairly cheap refurbished or on sale at Costco. It's the best blender you can buy and will fucking destroy anything you put in it and doesn't require any prep work at all. Just throw whatever you want in it and add a little water and you're done.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i actually enjoy pulp... do juicers not get pulp?
There are 2 types of juicers the masticating/cold press/auger types (has a big screw)
vs.
centrifugal (big blender basically w/ screen)

consensus is that the fast blender action of a centrifugal machine creates heat and destroys the enzymes of what you're juice, also creates a lot of scum/foam, there will be less pulp but it will "extract" less than compared to a

masticating/auger/cold press again the pros are, extract the most healthiest juice (because it does it w/ almost zero heat produced) and can extract the most from leafy greens.

(i have both, a long time ago i bought that tv commercial jack lalane bitch ass machine, a pain in the ass to clean, the pulp was wet (not great extraction), the feed mouth was small.

then i bought the
Amazon.com: Omega J8006 Nutrition Center Juicer - Black and Chrome: Electric Masticating Juicers: Kitchen Dining

last year, the pulp comes out nearly dry (cuz it extracts everything), it's easier to clean since it's just tube and auger to disassemble.

as suggested, you could just get a
Amazon.com: Vitamix Standard Blender, Black (Certified Refurbished): Kitchen Dining

and pulverize everything, and drink it all, there will be LESS cutting to do here, since it's just a mega blender, whereas w/ either the centrifugal or masticator machines, the feed tubes have a very small diameter.

also if you have a garden, the pulp is good compost, or you can use the pulp to add to soups/stocks

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I would definitely not get a juicer and just get a good blender like the Vitamix. Most of the nutrition is in all that fiber that you end up throwing away with a juicer. Way less work and cleanup too when you just blend.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I would definitely not get a juicer and just get a good blender like the Vitamix. Most of the nutrition is in all that fiber that you end up throwing away with a juicer. Way less work and cleanup too when you just blend.
yes, the cleanup is THE BITCH SUCK w/ either centrifugal or masticating, b/c you have to deal with all this shitty pulp that goes to this container, that goes through this tube and then the fucking screens are annoying to clean.

They say you can go 2 days w/o cleaning your machine, but i couldn't do it, i cleaned it after every use, and you can't even really quick rinse either. Again i haven't used a vitamix, but the clean up for the masticater is a big downside.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The clean up with a Vitamix is simply add a couple drops of dish soap and some water and put it on high. As for the fear of heating up when using a Vitamix, just put a bunch of ice cubes in with whatever you are blending and it keeps everything ice cold as long as you don't blend it on high for 5 minutes.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I had one of the knock off's of the big name brand centrifugal juicer. Worked fine but pain to clean up, shit ton of pulp which was of limited use. (Was able to feed to chicken/roach farm for lizards).

I agree after the fact that a vitamix/super mega ninja/whatever to puree stuff pulp and all is the best. Juicing you had to blend so much just to get a big blender bottle of the stuff and like 2-4 cups of pulp to deal with. Annoying to clean had to take a brush to the screen. And it's not like the pulp is pure fiber, I'm sure theres nutritional goodies in it. (Some people take the pulp for soup??)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I have a Vitamix, and it's awesome. You can throw damn near any fruit or veggie in it, whole, and it'll liquify that shit it no time. Obviously you don't want to do this with fruits that have inedible rinds/peels/stems, but you get the point. I'll core an apple and then chuck the whole thing in and it works fine. No sweat for frozen fruit either, just plows right through it into a smooth, drinkable substance(even with a thin straw, you aren't going to have any chunks leftover).

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
would appreciate some recommendations on what the best juicers out there are.
CSKVJOQ.jpg

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Been thinking of getting a Vitamix, but the girlfriends little magic bullet blender keeps trucking along. Even with frozen fruit, ice cubes, etc. Seems like spending $500 on a Vitamix would be silly.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I didn't want to splurge for a Vitamix either and ended up picking up a Ninja:Amazon.com: Ninja Mega Kitchen System (BL770): Electric Countertop Blenders: Kitchen Dining

I'm very happy with it. I'm sure a Vitamix will out-blend it, but it's taken everything I've thrown at it so far. It's nice to be able to blend right out of the single-serving cups--very little cleanup there. I typically use it for blending up vegetables and doing it in the main blender leaves the resulting liquid a little bit "grainy", but blending straight into the single-serve cups completely liquefies everything I throw at it. I'm assuming the extra $350 worth of Vitamix horsepower gets you a creamy-smooth blend like the single-serve setting of the ninja, but I'm pretty low-maintenence and the Ninja still does a great job.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Abe is right. Vitamix is the shit. Grab one and be happy. They are so powerful.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I started juicing a few months ago. I own the Breville JE98;link below. This model kicks the fiber and waste into a side container and drips out the juice on the other. The nutrition and feel you get from them is great however the downfall is the clean up and the constant running to the grocery store for more produce.

http://www.amazon.com/Breville-JE98X...reville+juicer

i just became aware of this thread. i bought a vitamix back in july. refurbished one, about $200 cheaper. has a 5 year warranty vs. the 7 year one.

best money i've spent in along time. i highly recommend a vitamix to anyone interested in supplementing more vegetables/fruit into their diet.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Sir Funk is correct. No pulp = no roughage. Just blend shit rather than juicing it.