Kids & Food

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
my wife and i are in the process of making our spawn, so no kid yet, but we did have a dog for 10yrs. he was a well trained dog that i rescued, i don't know how but he was a racist dog, but that was cool. he had dog food 365days a year, vet said he was one of the healthiest dogs (vet had a scale 1 for emaciated, 5 for obese, 3 for good weight, dog was always a 3, he was a 3.5 as he got older, cuz you know he was like 80 towards the end). rarely gave him human food, would never feed him scraps from our plate. (i would cook steak trimmings and chicken ass for him)

once every year or so he'd look at the food and go, WTF is this shit, and not eat.

i'd just give him the same food during meal times

by the third day he was starving and ate that dog food 365 days straight for another year.

i plan to do this to my kids.

now i'm not heartless, i know that if anyone had a dog that wouldn't eat, they'd just run to the store and cook up a steak for them, cuz fuck it, any dog will eat a steak, and just feed them.
but i see it as discipline.

i think this is the "guilt" of having something(one) you love go hungry and just giving in to giving them whatever they want (mcdonalds) as long as they have something in their tummy.

can anyone say they're susceptible to this?

also if you as kid didn't like vegetables, maybe your parents cooked horrible?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
i think this is the "guilt" of having something(one) you love go hungry and just giving in to giving them whatever they want (mcdonalds) as long as they have something in their tummy.
This is the crux of being a parent. And not just pertaining to eating habits. Its hard as fuck to do because you just want to give in. But sometimes you cant.

Kids are not like dogs, you will see when your spawn comes to this world. Its a love that cannot be explained but goes deeper than anything you ever felt before.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, they don't come with a meter that tells you when they are satiated. I have one daughter than it seems like I have to force to eat, and another who would eat all day nonstop if she could. And sometimes the one who doesn't eat will eat a lot and then continue to tell you she is starving. You don't really know that you aren't under/overfeeding them except for judging long term trends, but that doesn't help you in the moment. It is a weird thing.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
My daughter just eats. Eats whatever you give her, forever. Then sometimes she enjoys just dumping food on the floor while looking at me saying "What the fuck are you going to do about it motherfucker, you love me and I'm cute." Then she would giggle and say Dada really fucking loud. What the fuck am I supposed to do against that?

Anyway good luck starving your kids to eat food at an early age, assuming your kids aren't ugly.

Anyway, I don't mind my daughter eating a lot, she eats like coucous and vegtables all the time.

She doesn't drink milk though. Gets a rash from it. Yogurt and shit are fine though.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My daughter just eats. Eats whatever you give her, forever. Then sometimes she enjoys just dumping food on the floor while looking at me saying "What the fuck are you going to do about it motherfucker, you love me and I'm cute." Then she would giggle and say Dada really fucking loud. What the fuck am I supposed to do against that?

Anyway good luck starving your kids to eat food at an early age, assuming your kids aren't ugly.

Anyway, I don't mind my daughter eating a lot, she eats like coucous and vegtables all the time.

She doesn't drink milk though. Gets a rash from it. Yogurt and shit are fine though.
Yep, sometimes I'm convinced that our 1 year old is a sociopath. He'll throw food on the floor, we'll tell him NO, very sternly. So then he picks up a piece of food, stares you right in the eye, unblinking, unwavering, and drops another piece of food on the floor and laughs.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
My two year old still does that shit. Fucker. It is like a game or a power thing or something, idk. Fucking infuriates me, though.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yep, sometimes I'm convinced that our 1 year old is a sociopath. He'll throw food on the floor, we'll tell him NO, very sternly. So then he picks up a piece of food, stares you right in the eye, unblinking, unwavering, and drops another piece of food on the floor and laughs.
LOL! If I had liquid in my mouth, it would have shot out my nose. Good thing I'm alone here at work. 15 month old son does this very exact thing. I'd like to think he's saying to me, let's go another round, shall we mf'er?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I have five kids. The top four eat anything I put in front of them, and I hear them tell people that I can make anything and that everything I make, they like. I do cater somewhat to their wants, but not entirely - we rarely repeat dishes, and generally try something newish every day, and they like it. My youngest is in something like the bottom fifth percentile for weight - he's tiny, just like I was at his age. He is genuinely disinterested in food. He doesn't care, and would skip meals if we let him. We've had it all checked out by a doctor, and apparently this is not uncommon. He eats what we eat, just a lot less of it, and it requires a lot of pushing him to eat. He's truly surprised if he tastes something he likes well enough to eat a lot.

And the odd thing about this is that he thinks he has things that he loves. When we go to a restaurant, he wants to get chicken tenders and french fries. He talks about how much he wants them. Then, when they come, he's all meh, and we still have to push him to eat. Eating is a battle with him every meal, but it appears to be getting better. He's 6, and it wasn't really a problem until he was 3 1/2 or so.

However, pick your battles. All of our kids have always been huge sleepers, so we've lost pretty much no sleep having kids. I'd rather have the eating battle than sleep deprivation.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I know. I typically don't tell people that. We had to wake our kids up for night time feedings, or they would have slept 12 or 13 hours as soon as we brought them home. They all also took both morning and afternoon naps of 2 hours or so until they were 4, and continued afternoon naps until 7.

Yeah, drink that in, parents.

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
These days we just do what we did tonight. My 7 year old made a face when she saw what's for dinner, starts asking questions (do I have to eat this or that). Tell her it's that or no dinner tonight. Starts crying so we tell her she's excused. Of course 15 minutes later she comes back and asks if she can eat her dinner (which is sitting there, cold). I said sure, but I'm not heating that up for you.

She ate it. The prospect of not eating is a strong deterrent, at least in my house. When I was real young, we didn't have a whole lot of money so you pretty much ate what was given to you or you starve. I was forced to eat shit like eggplant and liver (which must be the worst possible thing a 7-8 year old can eat). But I ate it, because hunger pains hurt.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Oh, and I have to say that with my youngest, not only food preparation helps - if he helps cook it, he always is more willing to eat it - but that is becoming even more true as he sees food growing. Tomatoes are some of his favourite things now, as he can go and pick them himself. He'll eat grape and cherry tomatoes by the handful, right off the plant, and who would object to that? But he's a lot more willing to eat other things, like corn, potatoes as we are harvesting them, all the fruit, zucchini, and so forth now that he's involved in the gardening that we do.

I think it's really healthy for kids to have a good knowledge of where food comes from, and I think it helps them appreciate it more.

The Master

Bronze Squire
Oh, and I have to say that with my youngest, not only food preparation helps - if he helps cook it, he always is more willing to eat it - but that is becoming even more true as he sees food growing. Tomatoes are some of his favourite things now, as he can go and pick them himself. He'll eat grape and cherry tomatoes by the handful, right off the plant, and who would object to that? But he's a lot more willing to eat other things, like corn, potatoes as we are harvesting them, all the fruit, zucchini, and so forth now that he's involved in the gardening that we do.

I think it's really healthy for kids to have a good knowledge of where food comes from, and I think it helps them appreciate it more.
Hell, adults are like that. #1 thing people say when I serve unfamiliar foods at dinner parties "Where did that come from? I'm not eating that." "Oh, that? That came from XYZ, it is a traditional dish in country A when you prepare it like B. Try it." Then they eat it and, of course, they love it. I had someone almost refuse to eat homemade Mole (the full on two days of work Bayless version) because they didn't like the idea of a brown sauce.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah I really want to get my kids involved in preparation, if nothing else to help me out and teach them to cook. But I am still a little leery of having my kids touch raw meat or knives. I let them help with bullshit things that just make them feel involved, like "put the chips in the cookie dough" type stuff.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
My kids all have their own knife or two and cutting board - but my youngest is six, and yours are younger. We started letting them use knives next to us while we worked at about 4. Close supervision makes it pretty rewarding for them, and pretty risk free. Also, handling meat and eggs and such, and learning to wash appropriately with close supervision is not so hard. It does make cooking a whole heck of a lot slower, though.

Our middle kid is really taking to cooking, and has asked if she can be responsible to make dinner once every other week by herself. She's 11, and I doubt she's going to need a lot of help. She takes to cooking pretty naturally. Should be interesting to see what she comes up with.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My kids all have their own knife or two and cutting board - but my youngest is six, and yours are younger. We started letting them use knives next to us while we worked at about 4. Close supervision makes it pretty rewarding for them, and pretty risk free. Also, handling meat and eggs and such, and learning to wash appropriately with close supervision is not so hard. It does make cooking a whole heck of a lot slower, though.

Our middle kid is really taking to cooking, and has asked if she can be responsible to make dinner once every other week by herself. She's 11, and I doubt she's going to need a lot of help. She takes to cooking pretty naturally. Should be interesting to see what she comes up with.
holy crap you should watch this, if you haven't already

MasterChef Junior on FOX - Watch the Episode