Kobo aura

ringer_sl

shitlord
So... In need of a new e-reader, and trying to decide between the Kindle Paperwhite or the Kobo Aura (not the Aura HD). Has anyone had a play with either of these? If so, which one would you recommend? Thanks.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So... In need of a new e-reader, and trying to decide between the Kindle Paperwhite or the Kobo Aura (not the Aura HD). Has anyone had a play with either of these? If so, which one would you recommend? Thanks.
I have a Kindle Paperwhite and I think it's fantastic. Can read easily in poor light (The reason I bought it), easily read outside, and the build quality is excellent.

I can't speak to the Kobo. Never even heard of it until this thread.

Grumpy

Molten Core Raider
I also have the Kindle Paperwhite and agree with everything Hateyou said. I would also add that the battery life is exceptional.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I love my new Paperwhite as well. I am spoiled a bit though, because my old Kindle Keyboard (not sure the official name) lasts probably 2-3 times as long on one charge. Now, that still means that I get a good 2+ weeks out of the Paperwhite, which is plenty, but there is definitely a difference. I'd imagine anything with an added power draw for backlighting would be similar though.

ringer_sl

shitlord
Thanks for the feedback - I've had a kindle keyboard for about three and a half years, and love everything about it - the charge time, the readability, size, weight, book count etc etc. Unfortunately the on-off switch is starting to give up the ghost, which has caused it to start resetting itself if I don't take care turning it off.

I've had a good look at the kindle paperwhite but I'm still not sure. How do the ads go? I know you can pay extra to opt out of them, but do they turn up anyway? I've also read a bit about jail breaking it so you can put your own wallpapers on it (did that with my keyboard, worked a treat) and would probably do that if I got one. I'm not tied to amazon either - long live calibre - so in terms of books, I could go either way.

I've had a play with the aura and like the flat screen and the fact that the bezels are flush with the reading screen - more like a tablet. How easy/receptive are the KPW controls? Any fiddly controls near the 'sunken' screen - my fat fingers can mean I have the odd problem with toggling settings...

Thanks.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How does the newest Nook Glowlight compare? Just out of curiosity. $120 makes it cheaper than the Kindle and Kobo if I'm not mistaken.

Although apparently they got rid of the physical page turn buttons, so fuck them. God damn it...why the fuck have they all phased these out!? I don't need a GD touch screen to turn pages, I hate smudges on my screen!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I still consider the Paperwhite one of the best purchases I've ever made. For the amount of use, simplicity, convenience, etc... it is great. Unfortunately the damn Embassy Suites stole it a couple of weeks ago! So I gotta buy a new one.

The no physical turn buttons really irritated me moving from a regular Kindle also, and honestly not sure I've gotten over it. Touch to turn works and depending on how you hold it you can just use your thumb. Learned to live with it but I prefer the physical button.

ringer_sl

shitlord
Agree 100% that losing physical turn buttons sucks - if one company was to reintroduce them, they'd probably make a fortune.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Get a Paperwhite. The ads are not at all intrusive. They only appear on the lock screen and you can probably hack them away completely if they really bother you.

I'd kill for a Paperwhite with the Kindle v4 physical buttons. I bought a first-gen Nook with Glowlight specifically for the physical buttons, but they are so stiff you can't use it one handed easily. I'd pay $150 easy for a Paperwhite with physical buttons that work like the previous Kindles. I have no idea what is making everyone decide to get rid of them.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Losing the physical page buttons from my kindle keyboard to the paperwhite is the only negative IMO. It's not that much of a negative once you get used to it, but I still preferred the buttons. I turn pages on accident by tapping the screen once in a while when I'm shifting around while reading, annoying. Smudges don't really happen though, it's not like a tablet screen.