Live Performances Thread

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I Generally have been hitting between 7-15 concerts a year. Sometimes I see a performance for a band on youtube and decide to see it even If I don't care for the recorded stuff so I figured may as well make a thread for this.

Florence's albums pander to top 40 radio far to much. So I was not expecting much when my friend asked me to come back in 2010. but it was easily my favorite performance of the past 5 years. Florence has the most powerful voice I have heard live. Just gave me the feels like I was 19 again. Saw again in 12 on ceremonials tour, seemed more choreographed but still awesome.

Joy Formidable are great live also. Reminds me of "Siamese Dream" era Smashing Pumpkins and early 90s shoegaze. Unlike most of those bands they play with a ton of energy. Im a total sucker for the more aggressive gazey stuff.

First saw them 10 years ago. Not some mind blowing music but always a really fun show.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Happy to find this one online as my DVD got lost a while ago.

Was at this Radiohead performance Boston 06. Wish they kept on with this version of videotape. Shame no video for it.

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those guys killed it on the Toto cover. Great stuff.

Best live performance I've ever seen, without question, The Eagles reunion tour in 1994. They were just about flawless. Henley is a vocal god.

Video is not from 94.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Was a great concert, one of my favorite bands as a teenager. You can see me as a blur in the stands at 1:57:44!

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never a big Pearl Jam fan. However you have to respect that their fans say the shows are amazing. Seems like few bands today can evoke feelings from so many the way some for the acts from say 20 years ago could. At least in Alt-rock I can't speak for hip-hop or whatever.

Saw Mazzy star a few months ago. Hope Sandoval is almsot catatonic on a stage that is hardly lit at all. Some dislike this but it really fits with the bands music to me, hard to explain but sort of like the first time I took an opiate. Would recommend if you like Dream pop, 90s trip hop, or in general downtempo pop stuff.

Mazzy Star VIDEO - 1994 Bridge School Benefit,full set,5-songs,19 mins. - YouTube

Here is a Kelly Clarkson cover of fade into you. Thought it was a bit different you don't think of American idol winners doing songs like that. After a bit more looking I found some other interesting Clarkson covers also. Her voice is not Florence Welsch but it's pretty powerful.

Kelly Clarkson - Fade Into You (Charlotte, NC) - YouTube

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never a big Pearl Jam fan. However you have to respect that their fans say the shows are amazing. Seems like few bands today can evoke feelings from so many the way some for the acts from say 20 years ago could. At least in Alt-rock I can't speak for hip-hop or whatever.

Saw Mazzy star a few months ago. Hope Sandoval is almsot catatonic on a stage that is hardly lit at all. Some dislike this but it really fits with the bands music to me, hard to explain but sort of like the first time I took an opiate. Would recommend if you like Dream pop, 90s trip hop, or in general downtempo pop stuff.

Here is a Kelly Clarkson cover of fade into you. Thought it was a bit different you don't think of American idol winners doing songs like that. After a bit more looking I found some other interesting Clarkson covers also. Her voice is not Florence Welsch but it's pretty powerful.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
They are fantastic live. At 20 minutes in you can hear Vedder talk about him having a bit of a throat problem. He always gave it his all during the songs, so you hardly noticed it there, but through the night it got progressively worse when he just tried to talk. Still came back for encores and gave a 2 hour show.

Great performers.

Only concert I have been to here that beat that one was

That was a great concert.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Really great thanks for posting that. My favorite Mazzy Star song, live as per thread-

Orcus_sl

shitlord
I'm sure this was probably posted in a grammy thread or something, but it was so good it deserves a spot in this thread, in case someone missed it-

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Really great thanks for posting that. My favorite Mazzy Star song, live as per thread-
]
Thanks! All that Dream pop, Trip pop, and shoegaze seemed so amazingly cool after I discovered it in the late 90s-early 00s. Wish we had more of it recently but
Beach house/Grimes are awesome!

Also Imogeon Heap is the Frou Frou signer right?
Love her voice, Bloom is an amazing album and I need to see them live!

Grimes drug use is pretty blatant and seemingly constant based on videos featuring her. It seems sort of
Thanks Into dust may be my fav Mazzy star song but my quik search did not show a great version, However that MTV one

Recommend seeing these guys if you enjoy 90s alt-rock radio hit type stuff.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't know how many of you watch Later with Jools Holland, really random live performance show on Palladia (great live-music channel). This girl has some serious pipes, glad to see she can back them up live as well
Florence Welsh is the best vocalist and stage performer I have ever seen. Just insane power belting, can hold notes perfectly, love the vibrato, and often goes from rather low to high notes like on No Light No light. Even more impressive how she sings like that while running around, jumping and dancing on stage.

So here is some more from her.

This Dress reminds me of my manic pixie dream girl chasing days.

More impressive without the backup singers i feel. Still amazing

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Just some concerts I went to the year I got my driver's license. Not the same show of course, just footage from the same year.

Guns N Roses - Live @ Paris, France 1992/06/06 [Complete version] - YouTube

^ God I miss this

Soundgarden 7/22/92 Bremerton, WA (full concert) - YouTube

Alice in Chains live in Rio full concert January 22, 1993 - YouTube

... and Metallica and Nirvana and Pearl Jam with the rest of the Lollapolloza lineups for that year. And in there somewhere was Rush, Skid Row, Aerosmith, AC/DC, Slayer...

Is it any fucking wonder that the Duran Duran derivative pop songs that classify as "rock" on the radio disgust me? Imagine Dragons is "rock", are you fucking serious?

EDIT: Removed embed since I spammed 3 videos.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Another pretty good one from 92

At the time I saw them I wasn't even much of a fan.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I hit up a ton of concerts a year. I have no idea how many. I just saw Queens of the Stone Age for the first time a couple weeks ago and I'm still in awe for how tight they are. Top notch show and I'm really looking forward to seeing them again. Apparently Josh Homme is back in full QOTSA mode and is looking to record another album after this massive tour is finished. If you wanna see a modern arena-sized rock band, this is one to see. Right up there with Muse.

Emotiv

Silver Squire
Florence Welsh is the best vocalist and stage performer I have ever seen. Just insane power belting, can hold notes perfectly, love the vibrato, and often goes from rather low to high notes like on No Light No light. Even more impressive how she sings like that while running around, jumping and dancing on stage.
Her set stopped me in my tracks at Bonnaroo a couple years ago. Stumbled over to watch it and I've been a fan ever since. The only act that was better that weekend was Arcade Fire, who are godly live.