Love and Monsters (2020)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
3.67 star(s) Rating: 3.67/5 3 Votes
Title: Love and Monsters (2020)

Genre: Adventure, Science Fiction, Romance, Comedy

Director: Michael Matthews

Cast: Dylan O'Brien, Jessica Henwick, Michael Rooker, Dan Ewing, Ariana Greenblatt, Ellen Hollman, Tre Hale, Pacharo Mzembe, Senie Priti, Amali Golden, Te Kohe Tuhaka, Tasneem Roc, Thomas Campbell, Joel Pierce, Melanie Zanetti, Bruce Spence, Hazel Phillips, Miriama Smith, Andrew Buchanan, Tandi Wright, Damien Garvey, Julia Johnson, Ariu Lang Sio, Donnie Baxter, Helen Howard, Larry Cedar, Tonia Renee, Keiichi Enomoto

Release: 2020-10-16

Runtime: 118

Plot: Seven years after the Monsterpocalypse, Joel Dawson, along with the rest of humanity, has been living underground ever since giant creatures took control of the land. After reconnecting over radio with his high school girlfriend Aimee, who is now 80 miles away at a coastal colony, Joel begins to fall for her again. As Joel realizes that there’s nothing left for him underground, he decides against all logic to venture out to Aimee, despite all the dangerous monsters that stand in his way.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>

Maybe I'm just starved for any new movies that are even remotely good, but I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. Sure, it is cheesy and corny, fairly predictable, and not exactly breaking any new ground. But I liked it a lot. Two things sort of pushed it up another notch for me personally, one being that Jessica Henwick (Colleen Wing from Iron Fist) is absolutely gorgeous, and the main characters were from Fairfield, CA, which is where I grew up. Not that any real scenes of Fairfield were in the movie at all, and Fairfield is a literal shithole in RL nowadays, but still it was kind of cool because when else am I ever going to see the town I grew up in, in a movie?

Anyway, like I said, it isn't breaking any new ground, and it even sort of steals from other movies like Zombieland (rules), but the main character has "heart" and he's likable enough while still being convincing enough on his hero's journey. Currently it is VOD I believe (I sailed the high seas), but if you're looking for some good-hearted fun for under 2 hours, I recommend you give it a try.

I give it 8/10, but it got +1 for the reasons I mentioned above, so still a solid 7/10 for the rest of you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I dropped $20 and rented it with the kids Sat evening. I think a 6 or 7 out of 10 is fair (the kids gave it an 8). Like you said, nothing new and exciting, but just a pretty tame zombieland effectively. I feel like most people would like it, but its not going to be anyone's new favorite movie.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Saw this on Monday and agree with everyone else.

It's a tame pg13 version of Zombieland.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
It's got an apocalypse. I'm in. If it's still playing after thanksgiving I will probably go watch it in the theater.

Rime

<Donor>
It was good enough, which in Corona time, makes it amazing.

Heavy Fallout vibes with a pg-13 setting. I enjoyed it, other than the romance angle at the end. Boy was the best character.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
This was totally fine. Especially in the era of no new movies. It was fun, predictable, and entertaining.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never owned a dog but I want one now, that dog was the star of the movie.

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database