Making money in Second Life thread

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
This thread blew my mind, and caused me to hunt down the documentary on Netflix. Holy shit, I can't believe this is still a thing, and how big it is. I just... don't even.

I'll never be into it, because I'm either living my life, or playing actual games. SL isn't a game, so... wtf is the point? Go live.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
ROBLOX is another game you can make decent money in - if you can code LUA. Completely different type of game. There is no one game, but rather thousands, and every one created by players. Not long ago the first player cashed out $50k in a single month, and it's growing from there. It amazes me how much money is out there to grab from gamers.
I'll check this out, I can do LUA also. However, a lot of the newer things need to be very careful from a regulatory standpoint. Just remember when you make money from this shit, it's all on you to be up front to the IRS about it (at least the case in the US).

Another game that is still around is Entropia Universe. To me though, that's straight up gambling and I have no idea how well they have survived in that model. But I know several people who have hit it big and cashed out over 100k a year with it.

The "dark grid" is where all the really nasty shit goes on.

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I can't speak for any other company, but ROBLOX requires you to fill out a W-9 for them, and they 1099 you. If you enjoy making (simple) games in your spare time, and you can find the pulse of the players, there is stupid amounts of money to be made.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Yeah then they are covered, though it's odd they W-9 and 1099 - that basically means you're contracting for them.

Sounds fun though, I'll check it out for sure.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
One week in. Still no cocks in sight.

I made a wooded stick(cilinder). I could have chosen another texture, but wood seemed fine. It's also 10 inches long and 1.5 inch radius.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Skill game operator. This one is very lucrative but has a very high start up cost (expect to put $10,000-$15,000 USD and a lawyer just to get started). They aren't taking new applications at this time for it though but maybe they will open it up again. I imagine these people are hitting or close to the $320,000 USD monthly limit because all that shit is absurdly expensive (good for scripters though).

A reason for me to bump this thread. lol. Few people in this thread and the what do you do thread had expressed what it takes to be a game creator and/or operator here, but their applications have been closed for over 2 years now. If you're interested in it seriously, drop me a PM and I can refer you to a lawyer you'd need to get started. It's not cheap, but it can make really good money (If you're good at marketing, I know some of these places can make in excess of $25,000 USD a month). If you're creating, you make much less money, but you can charge a commission on games played, and if you have a popular game, it can serve you well. It's much harder than operating, though.

They are reopening them on January 3 2017 for both creators and operators and will most likely close them very quickly after. It's probably going to be very limited, so if you're seriously interested, have at it so long as you're not in a banned state (Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Nevada, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee).

Second Life Skill Gaming Applications Will Reopen on January 3rd, 2017 - secondlife

Other information if you're interested:

Linden Lab Official:Second Life Skill Gaming Policy - Second Life Wiki
Linden Lab Official:Second Life Skill Gaming FAQ - Second Life Wiki
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Second_Life_Skill_Game_Guidelines