Marvel's Luke Cage

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I feel like they only showed Diamondback over the edge, and never established he was a brutal mastermind prior. Shades obviously had a lot of respect for him and it wasn't for being crazy and stupid.

Shades and Cottonmouth were so good. Really loved every bit of time they got in every episode.

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
I've seen all but the finale(that's tonight). Diamondback just isn't doing it for me either...way over the top. I miss Cottonmouth quite a bit. Loved his character. Shades I'm on the fence. I like him a lot, but I'm constantly reminded of him being that whiny biker from Sons of Anarchy.

As far as that song posted above, I did a little reading up on the artist. Kind of interesting, his dad was a Nigerian (I think) computer science professor. Jidenna actually did turn down Harvard, he claims for the sole purpose of putting it in a rhyme later on. Ended up getting a degree from Stanford.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I agree with everyone that Cottonmouth was way better than Diamondback. I thought the finale was the only bad episode of the season. In the finale when Diamondback is telling his story, and the council member says "why are you telling me this", I was like "I KNO RITE, fuck this dude's story".

Was really disappointed that Shades got beat up by the Night nurse. I was hoping he was enhanced somehow, then he went down like a bitch.

I wonder if misty will lose her arm. In the comic's she gets a new arm from ironman.
I'm sure that RDJ would never make a cameo to give her a new one. But maybe show her walking out of stark tower with it or something.

Also not sure if Netflix would want to CGI a fake arm all the time, but they could have it be like Coulson's hand in SHIELD... Actually if Coulson is the guy who ends up recruiting the defenders, maybe he could make a cameo and give her a new arm

Cybsled

It just dawned on me what the final episode felt like with the Diamondback vs. Cage fight...it felt like a deleted scene from the movie Meteor Man lol

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
I think it's good they showed Diamondback being an insane murderer. Now you know if he gets them Luke Cage powers from the Doc, shit's going to get real. Probably have to bring in Daredevil/Jessica Jones/Ironfist as well to fight some one like that.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Or, just pop open a cold one and relax while SWAT takes care of him with their Judas bullets...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Finished the season, loved every moment of it. I liked it better than DD or JJ for the simple reason that the protagonist was likable.

Cornell was a great antagonist but had to go after the first half of the season. He was always going to be the first step that Luke Cage climbed up and over. Cornell himself was an overachiever who scrapped and clawed everything he could and took favors from everyone who would listen to get into a place of power. As soon as there was an issue he would be out of his depth and crack. It's why he had so much focus on being the "king" because he wasn't confident he deserved or could hold onto it.

Whether it was his character (I don't know the comics) or just Mahershala's acting I don't know, but I really enjoyed the genuine laughs Cornell would produce when threatened or insulted. It gave the character a sense of humanness and levity, and betrayed that he wasn't in control of the situation even when he had a room full of armed guards in his castle.

If I had to make one criticism, I didn't think they set up Diamondback correctly. There was too much disassociation between his character and the character they built up before. He seemed to fit the role of Deathstroke in the Arrow series: Hyper-intelligent maniac bent on the absolute destruction of the hero and using a criminal enterprise to do so. However, every seen with Diamondback showed someone who could only destroy and ruin, not set things up. Everything he touched went to shit.

I know they were setting up shades (Who I thought was miscast, Theo Rossi just didn't seem menacing or cunning though they writers/directors tried), but they should have let Diamondback do at least some of the smart work. Or there should have been a scene at the end where Shades explained that he was just using Diamondback as a puppet for his connections or whatever.

Luke Cage himself was perfect. Strong enough to be enjoyable, thoughtful enough to be personable. The action scenes lived up to what the trailer suggested. There's a superman like difficulty in creating interesting and challenging fight scenes with a man who can't be harmed by any weapons in the scene, but I thought they did a good job and even in the last couple episodes him walking through gunfire was entertaining.

The juxtaposition of the action scenes with the music was the highlight of the show. I don't think any TV show has even tried to accomplish the same integration of great music being played by something in the scene and an action sequence. When I was halfway through the series I remarked that I wasn't sure if 100% of the music was played by a scene object, which would be ardorous on the level of having 5 minute fight scenes in apartment hallways. This wasn't true of course, but all the big music scenes were. Beyond the directing/prop placement work, the music was central to the show's Harlem soul.

I saw mixed reviews in this thread for the series, but I hope this TV show is successful enough that in future versions of DD and JJ the writers decide they don't need their characters to be miserable all the time. I'm pretty pumped to see another season.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I agree about Rossi being miscast. I can see what kind of character he is supposed to be, and it just doesn't work. It got really highlighted when he would say certain lines, lines that should have been coming out of the mouth of someone older, more menacing and more self-asured. I also didn't buy his transition from random prison thug to suit wearing, behind the scenes master manipulator.

• 1Solidarity

Killswitch

N00b
I agree about Rossi being miscast. I can see what kind of character he is supposed to be, and it just doesn't work. It got really highlighted when he would say certain lines, lines that should have been coming out of the mouth of someone older, more menacing and more self-asured. I also didn't buy his transition from random prison thug to suit wearing, behind the scenes master manipulator.

This and the fact I keep seeing him as a whiny biker bitch from Sons Of Anarchy so I really couldnt buy into it. Cottonmouth was legit and Diamondback just felt like he was trying to hard to be a bad ass. The suit Diamondback wore was kind of cheesy as fuck but its kind of what he looked like in the comic minus the helmet and power supply.

• 1Like

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Yeah, switching out his leather jacket for a coat and shades wasn't enough. Give him a wig, a beard, something. Plus the fact that he's like the ONLY white(ish) member of the entire main cast made him even more noticeable, they needed to do something to distance him visually from his SoA role.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Finished the season, loved every moment of it. I liked it better than DD or JJ for the simple reason that the protagonist was likable.

Cornell was a great antagonist but had to go after the first half of the season. He was always going to be the first step that Luke Cage climbed up and over. Cornell himself was an overachiever who scrapped and clawed everything he could and took favors from everyone who would listen to get into a place of power. As soon as there was an issue he would be out of his depth and crack. It's why he had so much focus on being the "king" because he wasn't confident he deserved or could hold onto it.

Whether it was his character (I don't know the comics) or just Mahershala's acting I don't know, but I really enjoyed the genuine laughs Cornell would produce when threatened or insulted. It gave the character a sense of humanness and levity, and betrayed that he wasn't in control of the situation even when he had a room full of armed guards in his castle.

If I had to make one criticism, I didn't think they set up Diamondback correctly. There was too much disassociation between his character and the character they built up before. He seemed to fit the role of Deathstroke in the Arrow series: Hyper-intelligent maniac bent on the absolute destruction of the hero and using a criminal enterprise to do so. However, every seen with Diamondback showed someone who could only destroy and ruin, not set things up. Everything he touched went to shit.

I know they were setting up shades (Who I thought was miscast, Theo Rossi just didn't seem menacing or cunning though they writers/directors tried), but they should have let Diamondback do at least some of the smart work. Or there should have been a scene at the end where Shades explained that he was just using Diamondback as a puppet for his connections or whatever.

Luke Cage himself was perfect. Strong enough to be enjoyable, thoughtful enough to be personable. The action scenes lived up to what the trailer suggested. There's a superman like difficulty in creating interesting and challenging fight scenes with a man who can't be harmed by any weapons in the scene, but I thought they did a good job and even in the last couple episodes him walking through gunfire was entertaining.

The juxtaposition of the action scenes with the music was the highlight of the show. I don't think any TV show has even tried to accomplish the same integration of great music being played by something in the scene and an action sequence. When I was halfway through the series I remarked that I wasn't sure if 100% of the music was played by a scene object, which would be ardorous on the level of having 5 minute fight scenes in apartment hallways. This wasn't true of course, but all the big music scenes were.

I saw mixed reviews in this thread for the series, but I hope this TV show is successful enough that in future versions of DD and JJ the writers decide they don't need their characters to be miserable all the time. I'm pretty pumped to see another season.

I agree with literally everything in this Tuco post. I'm pretty sure I commented early on that I loved Cornell, and he was a huge factor in making me really want to power through all the episodes. I get why it had to happen the way it did, but I was really, really let down after he was gone and Diamondback took over as main villain. Fortunately Luke and even Misty were enough to keep the momentum going. And even though I'm not what I'd ever call a fan of the style of the music in this series, I loved pretty much every moment of it. This better win something for soundtrack or whatever the category would be, because I can't think of another show that deserves it more (of course, I rarely watch shit with music in it, but you get my point!).

The picture of Biggie killed me every fucking time it was on screen, btw. Very unsubtle imagery with it, obviously, but it still worked. Even when they replaced it at the end. Now I kind of want one just like that in my home. Except I'm a white shitlord :(

Ender4212

Golden Knight of the Realm
When I saw Cottonmouth flying out of that window all I could think was "please don't be dead". Tuco is probably right about him and it being time to go, but damn he was really, really good in this. I've never really wanted to watch House of Cards, but I hear he's in it, and it may be enough to get me to check it out. Overall though, I absolutely loved this and also hope it does well ratings-wise.

Every moment we had with Luke, Misty, Claire, and Cottonmouth were golden (and even the chess guy....Bobby Fish?). Hell, Pop did an amazing job in making us really get what he was about and care for him in just what, two episodes? Great stuff.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Was so great to see Charles Bradley get a spot in ep3, guy is a phenomenal soul singer.

Dude is not just phenomenal. He's an unrecognized icon. I've been listening to his music since I can remember and nobody seems to know who he is. It's a goddamn travesty.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Or, just pop open a cold one and relax while SWAT takes care of him with their Judas bullets...

Except Luke Cage never used guns to defend himself and Diamondback sure as fuck would. Plus with his Hammer connection all he needs is a fucking Judas suit (which he may or may not have already had) and he's wrecking everyone.

Luke Cage is like a Prot Warrior and Diamondback is like a Fury warrior. Give the fury warrior major damage mitigation, but keep and strengthen his offense? Shiiiiiit. That's bad news.

• 1Solidarity

DaliLhama

Golden Squire
The Music was great, the show had its moments. But was watchable and enjoyed it for what it was.

• 1Like

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
I don't know why but I picture diamondback as jim brown in the running man. I just want him to pull out a flamethrower and go to town on cage.