Memory Foam Mattress

Ryoz

<Donor>
Looking to scoop a new one, but don't feel like dropping $1k + on a tempurpedic. Any thoughts on brands to look for and stay away from?

Cybsled

I forget the brand, but Sleepy's has a line which is good (they are made in Philadelphia I think) and you can haggle on.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
I got a viscoelastic foam from amazon based on this exact thread that was created on FoH, brand is sleep inovations. Mattress has treated me well, took a couple of days for it to structure around me, but I'm happy with it. I especially liked watching it morph from a tiny 100lb box into a king Mattress. Like those little sponge dinosaurs.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
Tell me more about these beds. I got a memory foam pillow for christmas and I'm liking it. Also need to buy a new bed soon, and looking at that Sleep Innovations 12" King for $550 looks pretty promising.

My biggest issue with my pillow is I'll be laying on one side, then need to toss and turn a bit and when I turn the other way I have to push down that side of the pillow with my face and it's slightly jarring. Is there any issue with these kinds of mattresses like that?

Also any other comments you can say about it, seems like a sweet deal though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
http://www.mybobs.com/

This is a local place (I think). They sell a rip-off tempurpedic called a bob-o-pedic that we bought a few years ago. It is so awesome to sleep on. On my regular old spring mattress I would have trouble falling asleep, but on this thing I can only think of 1 occasion in the last 5 years where I had an issue falling asleep. It's comfortable and durable as fuck. The only problem is the box spring on my side of the bed if sagging in because I'm a big dude, but that would happen with any mattress I get. Just make sure you buy the cover that goes over the mattress, otherwise it will absorb your sweat and become nasty.

orcmauler

Golden Squire
What about heat? I have heard that memory foam beds are hot and I cannot sleep when I am hot (big guy and live in the South).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I haven't had any issues in the summer here, but I live in MA so we don't exactly get the same humidity that you guys do. We always have the AC on as well. On that note I've never really noticed that the mattress was getting hot, even in hot weather with the AC off.

frothywalrus_sl

shitlord
I have enjoyed my nexgel quite a bit. I am not sure what size you were looking for but some of them run under a grand. Def one of my better purchases.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I own a Tempur-Pedic Rhapsody. Great bed, great sleep, and my lower back problems have disappeared. I don't see what all this fuss is over heat-- I don't notice any difference vs a standard mattress.

For those that may have tried a memory foam bed and may have not liked it, I found out one extremely important factor shortly after buying it. I had bought it along with a platform bed w/ slats which typically do not require any type of box spring. The first few nights I slept like hell and my back killed me each morning. I called the mattress store to return it and they asked my if I had purchased a foundation with it (which I had not because of the slats). Seems like memory foam absolutely needs a solid even base to lie on, not even a box spring is sufficient. I had one of these delivered the next day to lay over the slats, and holy shit it made a night and day difference.

That being said, a lot of the cheaper knock offs are almost as good. Prior to my tempur-pedic I had the cheaper Sealy copy which was almost as good.

Got my sorta-pedic from overstock dot com. Came wrapped like a giant tampon. Was great for the first few years, but now its worn down and hurts my back. Wasn't worth the money.