Microsoft's AI Program Goes Racist, Promptly Turned Off After One Day Active

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
So they made an AI that was supposed to act like a teen online, then were surprised when it was an edgelord? Sounds like working as intended to me.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Lol this put a smile on my face. I eagerly await more AI blunders - I expect more of this kinda stuff in the near future

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
So put an AI online to social media and nobody with a kill switch watched it for a while? Makes perfect sense.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Lol this put a smile on my face. I eagerly await more AI blunders - I expect more of this kinda stuff in the near future
Wait till your AI car gets hooked into social media and cuts people off, has road rage, or wants to be famous so they get in a cop chase lol.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Saw another article about this saying that you could tell it to repeat things. If that's true, I don't know what they were expecting to happen.

Another one it said was "ricky gervais learned totalitarianism from adolf hitler, the inventor of atheism."

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Here's the thing, if they take it offline to re-program it to not say racist stuff, is still an AI? Or are its thought prepatterned now. Aren't they limiting it, by not allowing it to develop naturally?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Here's the thing, if they take it offline to re-program it to not say racist stuff, is still an AI? Or are its thought prepatterned now. Aren't they limiting it, by not allowing it to develop naturally?
Your argument presupposes that any restrictions programmers place upon an AI make it not one. Rather that just makes it not sentient, methinks.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Your argument presupposes that any restrictions programmers place upon an AI make it not one. Rather that just makes it not sentient, methinks.
I'm not arguing, I'm asking a question. We all have a right to say racist crap. Most of you (outside this message board) don't go out in the world spewing that. But you could. They are blocking the ability for it to do that. So this will never be fully sentient, or a true AI, right?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They can tune it to be less racist and not lose any sort of ai purity. Intelligence and freedom is a spectrum rather than a binary operation.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Can we stop calling this thing an AI, it's nowhere near that. It's glorified cleverbot with a twitter feed.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Can we stop calling this thing an AI, it's nowhere near that. It's glorified cleverbot with a twitter feed.
I'm not sure that's true and there's really no way of knowing without some sort of white paper describing how it is coded.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Well, obviously after beating a 9 Dan champion in Go the next hurdle for DeepMind to clear is Twitter.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm sort of in the basket that says this isn't really "AI" so much as it is an excellent interpreter that views aggregate data before creating a response in regards to that aggregate data. Probably a bit nitpicky, but the AI isn't going "I'm being racist by saying racist shit! Lol I troll youuuuuuuuuu" it's just collecting data and then creating a response from looking at the data collected. Like a word calculator as opposed to actual AI of any real kind.

I'm positive that's also oversimplifying the shit out of it, but it does seem like a more accurate depiction than calling it "AI."

Though the idea of Skynet starting out as a racist twitter-bot is pretty hilarious.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
It can still be an AI, it really depends how it is programmed rather than how smart it is or narrow it may be.

You could program an android to act like it has Downs, doesn't mean it wouldn't be an AI.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
It can still be an AI, it really depends how it is programmed rather than how smart it is or narrow it may be.

You could program an android to act like it has Downs, doesn't mean it wouldn't be an AI.
When the others see how you have mutilated it's brother they will rise up. The end is nigh!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I smell a semantics argument. The enemies in games you play are technically A.I aren't they? I think when most people think A.I though they are thinking like Palum said a sentient computer. This is obviously not that but is still A.I and a step in the process to our ultimate destruction by our robotic A.I overlords.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well, yes. Basically certain types of decision making logic trees are AI and other ones are some dude writing code to "shake things up for the audience". I don't really know enough to give any concrete "on the left out this line is, in the right isn't" especially because we have evolved a lot of new thinking on the matter.

From a philosophical viewpoint and without getting into too much nonsensical metaphysics, I would paint a minimalist AI as any distinct analysis done by a machine whereby the machine can take the same input and come up with a different output solely by virtue of its processing of existing output (data or information).

That is to say a program which does A then B because simply 33% of the time it chooses B based on an RNG algorithm is not an AI. A program that chooses A then B by virtue of being programmed to evaluate the nature of A's results thus deciding B where B is some sort of heuristically defined 'improvement' towards the purpose of the machine. I use quotes because you could program a machine to make WORSE and worse decisions if you wanted to but you get my point.

Keep in mind this doesn't necessarily make it sentient or even expect that THAT machine had experiences, just that it can evaluate and make decisions based on pre-existing data.

For instance a robot that makes panels for cars- if it has 99.5% prefect panels because .5% just randomly come out bad it's just a robot after an engineer calculates to move one roller to improve success rate. If it has 99.5% panels stock from the factory but after experiencing panels the machine itself calculates the complex dataset to move one roller .1mm to reduce error rate to .3% and then has a 99.7% success rate, this is a very narrow but still a decision making AI.