Millennium Dawn - HOI IV Mod - "The wargame of today"

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
Didn't find a thread for this or the base game, Paradox's WW II grand strategy game, Hearts of Iron IV.

This mod is maybe the most polished and excellent mod for a Paradox strategy game yet, and I've played many of them.

What this mod does is put you in charge of a country, any country you want, in the year 2000. It models everything well, from debt traps, high-tech militaries, and the rise of the S.C.O. and the anti-Western faction. The economic model in this mod is superior to that of the original wargame. If you play as a poor developing country like Kenya, you will see how severely you are crippled by debt payments and are basically helpless. Even if you get out of the debt trap, you likely have no indutry and it's impossible to build advanced modern military equipment, let alone satellites and space tech. But you can hire mercenaries or just buy equipment. The mod awesomely models the civil wars and multi-nation wars raging in Africa at that time: Sudan, Liberia, and the massive multi-country war in Congo. Then 9/11 happens and the USA will start doing what it does, unless you are their president there and do something else.

Interesting countries to play are of course Russia, China, and Iran, but it also has a fully developed EU mechanic that honestly I've not explored that much yet. Just a couple of anecdotes: In my first game as Russia (set to easy mode, since I was new to it), I managed to totally thward NATO expansion by re-energizing the Soviet Union-type borders. And as China, my current playthrough, got out of debt super fast and became the richest country in the world, but somehow South Korea on its own declared war on North Korea and I had to get in and now my kind of obsolete ca. 2002 Chinese army isn't very good and it's been a multi-year slog to subjugate South Korea. Miraculously, Japan, the US and Taiwan have avoided entering this crazy war.

here's a youtuber video with a good tutorials on the mod:

https://www.youtube.com/@Hammurabae

it's on workshop, search millennium dawn.

The fandom wiki:
Millennium Dawn Wiki

It does not have a 2022 start date so if you're looking to replay current events, no it can't do that.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user