Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
More of a teaser, but looks like they kept to the formula that worked and still using old cheesy films.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
When i played eq and wow i would just have these on constant rotation. Teenage werewolf is one of my favs.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I can't remember which one my favorite one was, but it was definitely Japanese so probably like Gamora or something. They kept saying, "Ken? Ken? Ken!" through the whole movie. My friend and I still say Ken to each other to this day, even though neither of us can remember what the fucking movie was about.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
Looks good. Tom climbing up on the screen to try and look at that naked lady already made me laffle pretty hard. And Crow is trying to stand underneath and look up.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I can't remember which one my favorite one was, but it was definitely Japanese so probably like Gamora or something. They kept saying, "Ken? Ken? Ken!" through the whole movie. My friend and I still say Ken to each other to this day, even though neither of us can remember what the fucking movie was about.
*checks his (likely embarrassingly large) collection of MST3K DVDs*

Pretty sure it's the two Fugitive Alien movies (aka: "He tried to kill him with a forklift")

• 1Solidarity

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
*checks his (likely embarrassingly large) collection of MST3K DVDs*
You can hit up dapcentral.org if you want some DVDs re-encodes of some of the shows they never actually released on DVD. I archived the entire series from top to bottom when I was in college and slowly replaced copies with official purchased DVDs as time went on.

One frustrating thing the old series ran into was licensing issues with some of their movies so hopefully this new one won't have the same problem. The DVD for volume XIV went out of print for example because they lost rights to Soultaker ().

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Just saw the first of the new episodes (backers get it to stream today only) and it was good. Fits nicely with the original sensibility of the show and the riffs were high quality. It is clear they are going to have quite a few genre cameos from various actors in the framing sequences.

• 1Solidarity

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
This is out today. First episode took a bit to get rolling but then Peterson shows up and it just gets better and better. Hope they keep it up and chose their movies well.

• 1Solidarity

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Enjoying it as well and yeah first episode takes like 20-25 mins to get good, second episode is much better out of the gate and it appears Patton's carvel ice cream cakes joke has finally come full circle. Think they need to find someone for Gypsy that has some kind of character to her voice, perhaps legendary character actor Margo Martindale.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Yeah the first episode wasn't bad. They need to got their stride and get a little better with the timing. Jokes were coming too quickly at the start. Letting the scene play out with a simple understated comment always worked best for the old crew. The beginning was like, what can we say that is funny about everything happening on screen!

Also a ton of old throwback jokes they put in. Always takes time to get used to new robot voices and host. Glad invention exchange was back.

• 1Like

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Watched the first episode, and yeah, it took a little bit to hit its stride, but they had me sold on it by the Kaiju Rap. Hearing Gypsy speak like a normal person was weird, and I kinda wish they'd gotten someone with a deeper voice for Tom, but aside from that, I'm liking the cast so far.

iannis

Musty Nester
oh god, Star Crash is so bad that they didn't really even have to make jokes. Just let the movie do all the work.

So. Bad. So. Very. Bad. So. Incomprehensibly. Bad.

I want to believe it was a direct to drive in movie, but I think those had already mostly gone away by the time it was made.

The entire season is probably worth it for that episode alone. I just watched half the first one, but I could not look away when they teased me with an early hasslehoff movie. And it is a tease, too. He's only in the last third of it or so.

• 1Like

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
The skit breaks are consistently great so far, always thought they were really hit and miss in the original series but I've enjoyed everyone so far. Hoping they get another season.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Siliconemelons

Do they always bring the guy back to re-act the opening? I get it, its just stupid... the technology exchange gimmick is alright as it gives some lets just throw out something stupid for the lulz and its "in character"

Gypsy is literally the random "girlfriend" who walks by the boys watching and lampooning a movie to interject their "funny" comment...

I also get, but do not really care for the radio station ID breaks for commercials.

But it is just like the orig's I do like it, I think its funny - but the type of comedy for me is not always "there" because they still use a lot of deep movie culture references etc... and that is fine - its very consistent with the orig so fans should be very happy- and it is okay that "I" am not fully the audience- I can live with it.

Like, I really do not follow actors, directors or producers etc... I know characters but not the actor lol - I am like "Lol Kirk's latest priceline commercial is funny"

I do think it is kinda funny that they somewhat explain "if you wonder how he eats and breaths..." with the new scroll to and fro the theater as its like all the rooms etc. A friend of my brother back in HS was a huge MST3K fan and searched out and bought all the stuff to remake the bots- down to the EXACT stupid gumball machine - he bought one of the doors from the scroll in/out thing when they were auctioned- I bet he still has it somewhere lol forgot what number it was, I seem to be thinking it was like 4 or 7.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Watched the Sasquatch one. That was pretty funny.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Carnival magic is suicide inducing. That one is next fucking level. The bit during the credits is great though.