Need new Antivirus

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's been at least 5 years when I last used an antivirus software that felt detrimental to system performance. As for not running antivirus, that's rather absurd. What do you guys think malware does these days? Plenty of them are designed to capture what you do and steal your information. How is restoring from a backup going to mitigate your information already being stolen?
There is a huge difference between the days of symantec that took up 90% of the system resources of the PC during a scan and now.I more get annoyed with the GIANT OBTUSE ANNOYING user interfaces a ton of them use with ads built into it when they want my damn attention.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Hmmm... I'll see if I can get you guys a Java 6 download via Ninite. I also have the old flash ninite installers if anyone wants (I have a lot of old ninite installers that still work that I could share).

Shoot me a PM if any of this is of interest for you.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
There is a huge difference between the days of symantec that took up 90% of the system resources of the PC during a scan and now.
Really not. SEP still manages to bring my work PCs to a halt, and they are some reasonably beefy workstations. Symantec, doing it wrong since Norton.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The install footprint and UI has been cleaned up over the years, but SEP is still crap. Not Backup Exec 2012 UI level of crap, but still shitty. Only McAfee with their Epolicy Orchestrator shitpile rates worse in my eyes.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Ah... to see the hate for EPO flow like wine. It is a tonic for my nerves.

I would say you should look at some more modern alternatives. In the home use space I have been having good luck with Immunet lately. It's made by the Sourcefire/Cisco people. It's free, you can enable ClamAV within it for traditional AV, plus any unknown files get sent for analysis in the cloud. Just google up Immunet. Drawback to Immunet is you have to be online to use the free version (pay version you can do full offline action, but how many of us are ever actually offline anymore?)

If you could get corporate level support/purchasing I'd say to check out this product called Cylance. Imagine an AV which didn't need dat files, md5s or signature, uses insanely low resources, and protects against Zero days, but alas they don't have a consumer space product yet.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
BitDefender, Windows Defender, Microsoft Security Essentials, anything free? I mean they all more or less do the same thing. Most companies get their virus definition updates from MS anyways so not entirely sure why people pay monthly/yearly for repackaged protection when you can get it for free.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Most companies get their virus definition updates from MS anyways so not entirely sure why people pay monthly/yearly for repackaged protection when you can get it for free.
Uh. What? Where did you hear this? This is like saying that most backup software uses Windows Server Backup under the hood, just because Microsoft provides a backup solution.

Goonsquad Officer
What lightweight antivirus are folks using on gaming PC's these days?

pre-windows 10 i just ran microsoft security essentials. I upgraded my machines to windows 10, and added my usual spybot, malwarebytes, and ccleaner. Windows 10 seems to think malware or spybot is an antivirus so it disables it's own inbuilt antivirus defender thing (which is retarded).

anyway, any tips? I don't tend to get viruses or malware due to noscript/addblock and the tools mentioned above, but windows 10 keeps nagging me about having one (plus it just seems like a good idea anyway). any advice would be awesome.

sorry to res an old thread, seemed better than starting a new one and didn't see one on the first few pages.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Malwarebytes Pro is the way to go imho.. We've got the corporate version installed on 200+ workstations and it's been more effective at keeping machines clean than any other AV product we've tried in the past (Symantec, McAfee, and Trend). None of the standard AV products would catch toolbars and adware junk, and though they would "detect" shit like "Fake AV" and "fake Windows update" hijackers, they couldn't effectively remove them.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Anyone looking for serious antivirus gets NOD32 and any of the freeware shit is SHIT. NOD32 is very lightweight and very affordable.