NFL 2016 - <whatever Tony is doing>

moontayle

Golden Squire
Gregory out for a year.

But at least Smith's nerve started firing. He takes the field next year and the 2016 draft is going to go down as one of the best ever, for any team.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
If they all end up in the Hall of Fame in 20 years, sure. Otherwise, I don't even think it would be the top Cowboys draft ever, would it? You guys had the 75 draft with Randy White and the Aikman draft haul.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Not sure I would classify the '89 draft as a "haul". Aikman, Moose, and Stepnoski for sure. After that... Wisniewski sticks out but he played for the Raiders his whole career.

Not even sure you're serious about the '75 draft. Randy White was it basically.

Now the '91 draft is up there. Maryland, Harper, Williams, Lett, and the one and only Pittsburgh killer, Larry Brown. All of them contributed greatly to those 3 Super Bowls.

Right now Dallas has 4 rookies contributing to the current success. Smith joins the crowd and that'll be 5 players from this past draft helping out.

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
That 75 draft was the dirty dozen which I only know anything about because of Sweetness but -

"The Dirty Dozen were the rookies that made the Dallas Cowboys team in 1975. These players were credited with helping the Cowboys advance to Super Bowl X and was a key foundation of the team's success during the latter half of the 1970s going into the early 1980s, as by 1979 many of these players would have replaced many of the Cowboys' aging starters of the 1960s. The rookies came up with the nickname inspired by the film of the same name, and spent half of the season without shaving."

I forgot 91 for sure though.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Dammit, I was counting on the texans game being available on local TV.

Going hunting this weekend and that's all we will get. Oh well, fuck it. Hunting is much more important than non-cowboys football.

Football-on-your-phone is awesome.

moontayle

Golden Squire
That 75 draft was the dirty dozen which I only know anything about because of Sweetness but -

"The Dirty Dozen were the rookies that made the Dallas Cowboys team in 1975. These players were credited with helping the Cowboys advance to Super Bowl X and was a key foundation of the team's success during the latter half of the 1970s going into the early 1980s, as by 1979 many of these players would have replaced many of the Cowboys' aging starters of the 1960s. The rookies came up with the nickname inspired by the film of the same name, and spent half of the season without shaving."

I forgot 91 for sure though.
Gotcha. I'm not old enough to go back that far and didn't get into the team until the mid 80s. That's an impressive haul for sure.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Gotcha. I'm not old enough to go back that far and didn't get into the team until the mid 80s. That's an impressive haul for sure.

They had 19 fucking picks lol dear lord. White and Ed "too tall" Jones definitely stand out. However Dak, Zeke, Collins, Brown all major contributors day one. Everyone seemed to agree that Smith was top 5 if not for the injury and will be a beast, if the nerve regenerates and now it's happened. Smith made me lose my shit during the draft, I wanted Noah Spence I hope Smith makes me eat crow and is a beast playing next to General Lee. Also don't count out Charles Tapper, kid can fucking fly at the DE position.

I wasn't around for those dirty dozen, I hadn't jumped on the bandwagon yet due to not having physically existed but I remember White and Jones in the 80's and wearing my Staubach jersey that I was brought home from the hospital in after being born on game day. Time will tell but it's certainly shaping up to be one of the best drafts in Cowboys history and I look forward to remaining on the Cowboys bandwagon when I jumped on in 1979.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dunno if any team will ever beat the 74 draft for Pittsburgh. 4 HoF players in the first 5 picks? Insane

Rd1 Lynn Swann
Rd 2 Jack Lambert
Rd 4 John Stallworth
Rd 5 Mike Webster

1974 NFL Draft - Wikipedia

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's an amazing draft as a cowboys fan I know 3/4 of those names and can remember highlights of them, Webster I don't recognize.
Considered by many the best center ever or one of the top couple.

Webster was the 1st guy whose brain was studied for CTE. Its very sad what happened to him in life after football, he had amnesia, was homeless a lot of his life. Those guys didnt make shit back then....its crazy compared to todays NFL. That movie Concussion w/ Will Smith was based on study of his brain.

Also Burnem etc, you Dallas fans might enjoy this, I saw it on a Steelers forum...rare video with Steelers and Cowboys players from Super Bowl X. Their playbooks, locker rooms etc look like shit high school teams today would not even use. Swann at 37 mins talks about having a nasty concussion and those guys had no clue what was going on.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Considered by many the best center ever or one of the top couple.

Webster was the 1st guy whose brain was studied for CTE. Its very sad what happened to him in life after football, he had amnesia, was homeless a lot of his life. That movie Concussion w/ Will Smith was based on study of his brain.

I didn't watch Concussion, I can't stand Will Smith movies outside of MIB lol. I remember highlights of Stallworth and Swann catching passes and Lambert kicking people's ass and them beating the Cowboys in the SB twice. They never showed Webster pulling or mauling and as a kid I only cared about defense and QB WR and RB.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
#1 I disagree wholeheatedly. But #2 I'm 99% sure my phone won't work either. I had no signal last year.

My phone has no problems running, and I feel like it's a Godsend. It doesn't matter if I'm not near a TV now, I don't have to miss anything.