Nine Inch Nails - Not the Actual Events

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm

First single off the new EP which is out now. It isn't on Spotify yet. =/

Praetorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
I can't find the quote but I recall Trent saying the new album would be difficult to listen to. He really snuck in his submission for 2016 Understatement of the Year. The song is a pile of hot shit neatly wrapped under a Nine Inch Nails bow that people will happily buy. If this were Metallica with a St. Anger level shit show we would be writing them off. But it is Trent so I assume it will sell nicely and earn another Grammy.

Garbage.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I say this as someone who has listened to NIN for probably 20 years and been to two of their concerts

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah he really lost any sense of style when he basically made it him and Atticus Ross the band, everything since Ghosts has been sloggy and monotonous. Their was a bit of his talent in Hesitation Marks but at this point he needs to dump Ross and start working with other people that are capable of helping him write something that isn't just mood noise. Guy has an amazing sense of melody and apparently getting sober robbed him of that.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
I will say the remasters he just released for Broken / Downward Spiral / The Fragile with some of the unused tracks and b-sides sound clean as fuck. Who knows maybe he'll find the fire again this year with the 2 projects he's working on, he's at his best when he has something to aim at and isn't just meandering between projects. Though maybe having like 4 kids now and a stable happy marriage just doesn't allow someone to have that anymore.

Binks

Golden Knight of the Realm
Sobriety and family seems to be the death of good music, e.g. Filter. I want him to succeed, I liked All Time Low from Hesitation Marks; even though, it seemed to stretch on and the album seemed to be a rehash of familiar Trent themes.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fragile with all instrumentals and rare cuts that he released.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I haven't listened to this new EP yet, but I thought Hesitation Marks was NIN's best album since With Teeth.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Very late to the party, but this EP sucks.

Year Zero was, imo, an overall better album than With Teeth. Both Hesitation Marks (even though I absolutely love Various Methods of Escape) and The Slip were pretty underwhelming comparatively, and this EP does nothing to make me think he's on an upswing at all. Which is strange, since I really liked his work on How to Destroy Angels, and I was under the (apparently wrong) impression that his NIN work was going to be similar-esque going forward.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess I am an old fart because NIN has done nothing worthwhile (aside from a few gems) since The Downward Spiral (and its various versions/eps), but the last work of his that I was aware of was How To Destroy Angels, which was alright.

Vycron

Derives Perverse Pleasure
<Gold Donor>
I thought the Fragile was one really good album spread across two average albums

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Another EP coming out next week. I like the song they released.