Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah Nintendo and Amazon are the two best companies I've dealt with for customer service.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
So my 15yr old wants a switch... stock situation is almost as bad as the wii was at release...impossible to buy at retail. At least so far.

Siliconemelons

Seems there was a surge of demand? or just normal sales and no restock - but a few weeks ago I saw a bunch at my local walmart...haven't been back in a good bit to see if they have any... hack i should have bought one to ebay for 50$ profit lol.

• 1Like

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Seems there was a surge of demand? or just normal sales and no restock - but a few weeks ago I saw a bunch at my local walmart...haven't been back in a good bit to see if they have any... hack i should have bought one to ebay for 50$ profit lol.
I'd say your suspicion of no resupply is the most likely explanation.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider

No more demand, just absolutely shit for stock.

U.S. sales:
March 906,000 sales.
April 280,000 sales.

And in Japan sales dropped in half this week, down to 24k.

Either Nintendo doesn't know wtf they are doing and are missing out on a ton of sale opportunities, which is extremely likely, or they know exactly what they are doing and are restricting supply because they know that massively more product on the streets wouldn't sell like everyone thinks it would. No way they hit their sales target for the year regardless of which it is, and they are basically killing hype for this machine the longer this situation goes on.

spronk

FPS noob
buncha new shit announced at arms direct, including a splatoon bundle July 21st (looks like the neon switch plus the game) and a neon pro controller and a carrying case

DAD9iigXgAEoFA9.jpg

japanese only bundle

DAD_qf7VoAAGNbY.jpg

ARMS beta in late may / early june (free)

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
No Destiny 2, no South Park Fractured but Whole.

Boy, Switch is really raking in that 3rd party.

"Here you go guys. Have some more 5 year old Indie titles"

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
No more demand, just absolutely shit for stock.

U.S. sales:
March 906,000 sales.
April 280,000 sales.

And in Japan sales dropped in half this week, down to 24k.

Either Nintendo doesn't know wtf they are doing and are missing out on a ton of sale opportunities, which is extremely likely, or they know exactly what they are doing and are restricting supply because they know that massively more product on the streets wouldn't sell like everyone thinks it would. No way they hit their sales target for the year regardless of which it is, and they are basically killing hype for this machine the longer this situation goes on.

Their selling out all they can ship in US and Japan. In Japan they pushed extra units for Golden Week (75k) compared to the normal weekly shipment (~50k), and the week after (~25k) had less. They pushed an extra 1 million units for March that were meant for April to match demand. Obviously they aren't making them fast enough - but they only projected to sell 2 million in March and less in April. No one knows for sure but they have to be over 4 million shipped at this point.

Their next big shipment goal is probably for Splatoon 2 in Japan.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
No Destiny 2, no South Park Fractured but Whole.

Boy, Switch is really raking in that 3rd party.

"Here you go guys. Have some more 5 year old Indie titles"
I don't think anyone expected either of those titles to be on the switch. South Park would be good on it and probably could actually play it, but they already have delays and problems even without adding a switch version to the mix. Maybe they will get a goty edition or something at some point

Destiny would be awful without a pro controlle

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The biggest canary in the coal mine for 3rd parties will be annual sports titles next year. Once NBA2k and FIFA are released that'll really set people's expectations beyond 1st party games what the Switch is capable of and the release slates for 2018 will be tell us most of what we need to know about how 3rd parties will be approaching the switch for the remainder of it's lifecycle.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't see 3rd parties wanting to really port anything over to the switch since history has shown they sell poorly due to the inferior hardware. People buy those games on systems where it looks better. Sure you will see some sports games and stuff but they will most likely sell poorly like they have before. What they do have a chance of doing and I would like to see is develop games specifically for the Switch that take advantage of it's form factor and the fact is Nintendo systems are known as party systems.

I really have no doubt the switch will continue to sell well and have great first party games and be well worth it. The question is will you be able to play games designed for the switch from AAA developers and not just a bunch of indie titles.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
I don't think the Switch needs ports of the bleeding edge AAA titles to be successful. It's going to get the same 3rd party support that the 3DS gets in Japan - which includes studios like Capcom, Atlus, and Level 5.

It's going to have all Nintendo first party going forward, and Pokemon, and Monster Hunter, and whatever those JP 3rd party pump out. It's also not region locked so no need to wait for localization. Not to mention every successful past, present, and future indie title seems to be making it's way to the Switch.

If it stays on the 3DS sales track, then western 3rd party's will make games for it - even if they aren't the Red Dead's or Witcher's of the world.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Maybe they'll port the next Madden game to the Switch and incorporate the motion controls. You can throw the football by tossing your baby controller to your friend. Interactive!!!

• 1Solidarity

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
or are they shipping out all they can sell?

Causing artificial scarcity on the device you are pinning your future as a company on makes zero fiscal sense. You can argue that Nintendo has done so in the past with Amiibos and NES Classic, but they have never done it for their software vehicles. They need people to buy the Switch so they can have an audience for the real moneymakers, software.

Coming off the failure of Gamecube they didn't anticipate the demand for the Wii and it took them almost 2 years to match production with demand. The Wii U they made 10 million consoles right off the bat and it was a huge mistake and took them years to sell all that stock. They took the conservative approach again with the Switch coming off the Wii U failure - 2 million consoles for an April launch was more than fair for what analysts were predicting.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yeah, someone who is trying to create artificial scarcity doesn't ship their products to countries by air