Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Crisco

A greasy jar
Maybe its a cost/benefit that Nintendo doesn't want to dish money out for as they believe there are enough people like myself that don't care about it, or that there are plans in the works to allow local saving of data, but they are working on making it harder to pirate software before they give the ability, jut look at the Wii U free download thread. MS and Sony already have server farms for all that so the cost to implement is negligible to them. Not saying you have to agree, but as a company that only makes video games, maybe the ROI isn't at the right numbers yet (maybe with the $5 box sales that may change).

As a back seat CEO you can guess why things aren't ideal but in reality you just don't know. Nintendo may be fucktards, or more likely they know something you don't or if they are fucktards then they go belly up.

Hardware issues are being fixed/has been fixed. If You have defective product that will be the best customer service experience and fix it for free. I'd rather deal with my inferior Nintendo and the great customer experience than deal with MS and the shit they drag you through to fix something (never dealt with Sony).

You said many times you didn't like Nintendo stuff since GameCube but kept buying all systems. Glad you are hopeful, but again it sounds like you don't like them where they are today, so why care so much. Its like an Ex and you remember the good times but when you hook up again you realize its not what you remember. Just let her go and move along.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Source on that license fee change? Hadn't heard that before.

It's common knowledge.

Starting in the N64 days, Nintendo increased the cost of their licensing model to the point where everyone jumped ship. They have never recovered. However, now, indie's are forced to continue to pay that unless there is some other type of agreement in place. Cartridge cost has always been higher, and sometimes that is scapegoated, but the real cause of it is the licensing fee. Something else that isn't helping Nintendo out with that though, is they force publishers to sell the digital version on their shop at the same price they sell a physical cartridge for. There cannot be any price discrepancy. Nintendo makes even more money on the Eshop this way in royalties and licensing combined.

Every console iteration they keep talking about how 3rd party will bounce back - it never does, because NIntendo has backwards policies with 3rd party publishers compared to the rest of the console manufacturers.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Maybe its a cost/benefit that Nintendo doesn't want to dish money out for as they believe there are enough people like myself that don't care about it, or that there are plans in the works to allow local saving of data, but they are working on making it harder to pirate software before they give the ability, jut look at the Wii U free download thread. MS and Sony already have server farms for all that so the cost to implement is negligible to them. Not saying you have to agree, but as a company that only makes video games, maybe the ROI isn't at the right numbers yet (maybe with the $5 box sales that may change).

Now this is an answer I can understand. Objective. My opinion is they rushed the launch to meet a quarterly number to stop the bleeding in the stock market, which we now see the console in an almost early access/alpha state, which shouldn't have been released until this fall, combined with a lack of security because they are caught behind the times on securing their own properties/digital shops. It's amazing to me that one can hack a Wii U/3DS and download anything they want, for free, from Nintendo's very own Eshop, and there isn't anything they know how to do aside from take away a standard feature in external MicroSD access in their next gen console.

Hardware issues are being fixed/has been fixed. If You have defective product that will be the best customer service experience and fix it for free. I'd rather deal with my inferior Nintendo and the great customer experience than deal with MS and the shit they drag you through to fix something (never dealt with Sony).

I have dealt with Microsoft and Nintendo. My Wii U OS was corrupted while playing Monster Hunter and bricked the system. It wasn't in any sort of warranty, and I pleaded my case to them and cited others having issues - they fixed it right up. I had 2 RROD systems with my 360's, both were delivered within a week of them receiving the defective one and paid for shipping.

Glad you are hopeful, but again it sounds like you don't like them where they are today, so why care so much.

Because I still think Nintendo is capable of delivering a very successful console if they change their mind set. With Iwata gone, I am more hopeful than before. This was Iwata's baby here with the Switch, and too far gone into development to not at least try something to stop the bleeding with the Wii U. I think NOJ needs new management (And will get it) and times will finally take a turn for the better in due time. I also care because competition breeds higher quality, and as a consumer, I would rather see 3 companies duking it out instead of 2. We see what happens with companies get complacent. (MS's Success with the 360, and then the abortion that was the XBox one - and we also see what happens when the competition is doing it better - PS3, and the drastic improvements made to the PS4) The more of that the better.

What I get frustrated with are the blinders. Like whatever one wants, but realize objectively, apples to apples against the competition, that this particular console took a severe step backwards in terms of functionality (No saves transferred, to the online service value prop, to requiring a second device for voice chat) - and regardless if those features impact you subjectively or not, it takes the bar back on the progress consumers have seen over the last 10 years, back to when it all started to actually make progress. Believe it or not I do not want Nintendo to go under.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not having cloud saves in 2017 is like buying a brand new car and it not having Cruise Control.

The proper reaction to this would be, "WTF?"

The improper reaction is to justify it by saying, "Well, what do I need cruise control for anyways? My foot works. Plus, I never really drive on the highway much, my commutes are short so I don't care."

You sir, are on drugs.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
look mang if you buy a 2017 Lamborghini Aventador S it doesn't come with cruise control. So the Switch is the gaming equivalent of a Lambo, ok? How else will someone know you are a billionaire, you need a car with doors that go up and down instead of in/out like a peasant, and you need a gaming console that has no online service.

xE65Uep.jpg

• 2Like
  • 1Smuggly

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
It would be nice if this thread was actual discussion about actual news and games and not just Ut trolling and Nintendo fanboys/anti-fanboys ranting at each other about things that don't matter. Every Nintendo thread turns into this.

When there is some actual news or games to play it might be that way. You don't really expect people to be talking about old indy games because they've been ported to the Switch?

Mario + Rabbids looks like it could be interesting, but I need to see some footage. I'm sure after E3 people will have something to talk about.

Binding of Isaac doesn't lag on switch, been playing it quite a bit and haven't noticed slowdowns. Or are you talking about something you don't own again?

It actually does. Here's a video of it happening:

• 3Like

Njals

<Bronze Donator>
Don't want to defend the switch too much here but to be fair the company that has handled the franchise since Rebirth (Nicalas) can't get it to work right on pretty much any system outside PC.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
When there is some actual news or games to play it might be that way. You don't really expect people to be talking about old indy games because they've been ported to the Switch?

Mario + Rabbids looks like it could be interesting, but I need to see some footage. I'm sure after E3 people will have something to talk about.

It actually does. Here's a video of it happening:

lol a video game that is basically from 1992 lags on the switch

but of course it does Nintendo did A/B testing to find out people like the 'realness' of having a system hiccup and slow down amirite defenders?!?!??!

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
i don't know how anyone can defend this thing. if you own one and admit to yourself that it has some huge flaws, then okay, i don't care. but if you're going around actively denying how awful this thing is at this point then you are being actively malicious to your fellow gamers. you might even be the tipping point that causes someone to waste hundreds of dollars on this. just stop white knighting guys, seriously, please.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Damnit, Amazon doesn't have the Monster Hunter XX empty box pre-order up yet.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Console Monster Hunter, fuck yeah!

I didn't expect XX to be the first MH game on the Switch though. I assume this means MH5 is in development for the Switch and they just wanted to test a low risk port of a past gen game.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
See? And we both speak Japanese. Even though you do it way better than I do.

You should be playing games like this if you want to improve your Japanese. The power of the Weeb is strong with this one.

DAuCIZKUIAAyq0E.jpg

Edit: Let's spoiler that just in case

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
Console Monster Hunter, fuck yeah!

I didn't expect XX to be the first MH game on the Switch though. I assume this means MH5 is in development for the Switch and they just wanted to test a low risk port of a past gen game.

rumor is monster hunter 5 is a ps4 exclusive which will be announced at e3

i didn't even know XX was an older game, thought it was just another new MH. that sucks for nintendo fans if the exclusive is true, switch gets old shit and PS4 gets new shit

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
rumor is monster hunter 5 is a ps4 exclusive which will be announced at e3

i didn't even know XX was an older game, thought it was just another new MH. that sucks for nintendo fans if the exclusive is true, switch gets old shit and PS4 gets new shit

Rumor has been going on for a LONG time too. Man would this piss some people off of this happens.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
I kinda wanted to try MH but I couldn't stand playing it on a 3DS, a console version would peak my interest a bit.