Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Crisco

A greasy jar
I beleive Nintendo says they won't make additional games if there isn't something new to it, not just do sequels to do sequels. Although it is slightly disappointing on it's own id like to see what a new mario or zelda can do before I dismiss what new gimmick they added.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I beleive Nintendo says they won't make additional games if there isn't something new to it, not just do sequels to do sequels. Although it is slightly disappointing on it's own id like to see what a new mario or zelda can do before I dismiss what new gimmick they added.
I don't really understand what you're saying here, because they literally only make sequels. Unless you're talking about them "remastering" the switch Zeldas for switch 2 or something?

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
There's not a lot of other valid 'tablet I can attach controller halves to' form factors out there for them to work with.

And yes, it's disappointing 'everything evolves into a tablet with controller halves', but the tablet form factor gets the user the largest amount of viewing space on the front while giving the system the largest surface area for cooling on the back. We're stuck with it until AR or some sort of projected holography is actually possible (if ever) and we get massive changes in cooling tech.

Vorph

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The shipping manifest matches the leak from a few months ago, so I guess that more or less confirms the first leak was real. Main takeaways I remember from back then was that it will be vastly more powerful than the Steam Deck (like 2-3x). Assuming they don't have to throttle the shit out of it to be able to cool the thing in a case that's still much smaller than Steam Deck.

Edit: Another analysis of the hardware list from back then --

• Handheld: Right above PS4* before DLSS
  • Docked: Between PS4 Pro* & Xbox Series S* before DLSS with more modern hardware than the former
  • RAM: Slower than PS5 & XSX|S in
    the speed department, but more capacity than XSS. Should have 10.5-11 GB
    of RAM available to games going by the Switch 1's RAM allotment for its
    OS.
  • Storage: UFS 3.1's max speeds should be a hair under XSX|S (2.1 GB/s vs. 2.4 GB/s), still plenty fast even if not maxed out.Lines up with what Digital Foundry &
    NateDrake heard about decompression techniques & fast load times of
    the BotW tech demo (respectively for each source).
* = Not only is the Switch 2 ARM-based rather than x86 like the
systems compared, it's also Nvidia vs. AMD. There are plenty of factors
at play to where it's not an apples-to-apples comparison. Plus the
native Tensor cores of the Switch 2 will allow for DLSS, letting the
system punch above its weight & decrease the size of the gap between
it & the XSS.

...but still, fuck 'em for going back to a shitty LCD. I am kind of curious what price point they'll be able to hit though. If Nintendo drops a $500 console I think there will be a similar reaction to what the PS5 Pro got (except that a lot more people will still buy it anyway).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rude

Potato del Grande
I'll buy the underpowered console if it keeps making physical carts and stays the hell out of western social justice activism.

Microsoft and Sony have been taking laps shooting themselves in the foot, so fuck them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

People "We want a switch HD!"

Nintendo "Here"

People "NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Keeping the switch name, they most likely are going to keep backwards compatibility, cutting their library would be dumb - so yeah, we get a big spec bump, what everyone was asking for.

LCD v OLED ehh - yeah OLED is better but, this aint a TV...

Nintendo I guess has not come up with the next, gimmick, to bring in a new generation - but that is fine - the stupid Wii-mote took a while to settle and killed my want to play Prime 2/3 after the lock on aim of 1- and playing stupid skyward sword... so perhaps a generation wait for a new gimmick is good ;-)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
People "We want a switch HD!"

Nintendo "Here"

People "NNNNOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Keeping the switch name, they most likely are going to keep backwards compatibility, cutting their library would be dumb - so yeah, we get a big spec bump, what everyone was asking for.

LCD v OLED ehh - yeah OLED is better but, this aint a TV...

Nintendo I guess has not come up with the next, gimmick, to bring in a new generation - but that is fine - the stupid Wii-mote took a while to settle and killed my want to play Prime 2/3 after the lock on aim of 1- and playing stupid skyward sword... so perhaps a generation wait for a new gimmick is good ;-)
The problem isn't that they are making a better one (aside from screen), for me it's more that I haven't bought anything for years because meh, and it doesn't sound like the switch 2 is going to bring any wow factor either. Their Pokemon studio games are absolute trash, and party games rarely get refreshed (smash and kart). So kind of in an unfortunate middle ground for most of its lifecycle.

Vorph

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah OLED is better but, this aint a TV
There's just no excuse for a downgrade from the OLED Switch. I'm assuming that it'll have a 1080p screen, and at 8" that's only about half the ppi of a modern phone. Plus, Nintendo would be using a cheaper OLED screen rather than the AMOLED that phones have (not to mention that they don't cough up the $ for Gorilla Glass or anything like that either -- the OLED Switch is plastic like the original Switch, it just doesn't scratch quite so ridiculously easy). Personally I think it's worse going back to LCD on a handheld screen than it is on a TV.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah going from the LCD launch Switch to the OLED model was a noticeable difference. May hold off on Switch 2 unless something from Monolithsoft/Atlus is on there for launch year. Don't see a new Zelda ready yet, and I'm not a big Mario fan.

Unless the Trails in the Sky remake is exclusive, then I'm there Day 1 heh.