Ottawa

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Seems like I have to go for work for a week in October. Anything worth looking into?

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

Quaid

Trump's Staff
ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER HERE

But seriously…

-Get an egg roll at Golden Palace on Carling. Ottawa has a very distinctive regional style of them and they rock.

-down the street on Carling Ave is Shawarma Palace which has the best shawarma I’ve had anywhere in Canada.

-if you’ve never had a decent poutine, Fritomania is tough to beat outside Quebec.

-The Canadian Aviation and Space museum is a decent day, as is the Canadian War Museum.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Juvarisx

Florida
Seems like I have to go for work for a week in October. Anything worth looking into?

Parliament Hill is worth going to for a tour
Pick a museum they are all great depends on what you are in the mood for. The War Museum stands out
Notre Dame Basilica
Like hockey? October is season start of the NHL, the arena isnt downtown but an uber ride and usually has tickets available 1st party.
There is a great restaurant for most food types except maybe Mexican. If shawarma is your thing there is a lot of great stops.

Really though its a government town with less to see then DC. If you have time however Montreal is 2 hours away via train and thats a place worthy of your time if you can get away.

• 2Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Parliament Hill is worth going to for a tour
Pick a museum they are all great depends on what you are in the mood for. The War Museum stands out
Notre Dame Basilica
Like hockey? October is season start of the NHL, the arena isnt downtown but an uber ride and usually has tickets available 1st party.
There is a great restaurant for most food types except maybe Mexican. If shawarma is your thing there is a lot of great stops.

Really though its a government town with less to see then DC. If you have time however Montreal is 2 hours away via train and thats a place worthy of your time if you can get away.

Not enough time to get to Montreal but will probably go there at some point down the road. Looks like there's just a lot of normal city fare. Can I use the strong American dollar to get tons of stuff for dirt cheap due to the conversion rate of canuckibucks?

Juvarisx

Florida
Not enough time to get to Montreal but will probably go there at some point down the road. Looks like there's just a lot of normal city fare. Can I use the strong American dollar to get tons of stuff for dirt cheap due to the conversion rate of canuckibucks?

I've bee in the US for 15 years, so when I do make it back up north its usually back to Toronto where I grew up. Looks like atm 1 USD = $1.37 CDN which is a very good exchange rate. Talking to my sister the prices on food in Canada have been the hot issue, but you probably were not looking to cook on your own anyways. If you want booze to bring home etc hop into a cab and go to Gatineau which is the Quebec side of Ottawa more or less, it will be cheaper there and you can buy beer at the corner store like god intended. Consumer goods can be cheaper for you if its a US brand, a lot of the cross border shopping you see Canadians come in the US now is strictly food, but clothes, watches, electronics you can probably save 15-20% on. If you have a sweet tooth, grab some chocolate (Kit Kat, Twix, Mars, etc) they use actual coca and are 1000x better then the US equivalent.

I would just pay on a card if you can, if you feel the need to get cash get it at a bank here before you go. October is a very pretty time in Ottawa and if the weather holds you will enjoy that, good patio drinking weather.

• 1Like

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I lived in Ottawa for several years. In my time there I nowhere near saw everything the city had to offer. There is so much cool stuff there. Museums of all sort, the Canadian national Museum is particularly good. There is good music to be found all over the city, either orchestral or pop or Indie, whatever you want. it really is worth going to the Canadian parliament buildings, they are quite stunning. Château Laurier downtown has an amazing restaurant. I think it might be one of the best in the city.. other than that, just walk around the city, starting at Parliament Hill. You will find all sorts of neat and interesting things.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've bee in the US for 15 years, so when I do make it back up north its usually back to Toronto where I grew up. Looks like atm 1 USD = $1.37 CDN which is a very good exchange rate. Talking to my sister the prices on food in Canada have been the hot issue, but you probably were not looking to cook on your own anyways. If you want booze to bring home etc hop into a cab and go to Gatineau which is the Quebec side of Ottawa more or less, it will be cheaper there and you can buy beer at the corner store like god intended. Consumer goods can be cheaper for you if its a US brand, a lot of the cross border shopping you see Canadians come in the US now is strictly food, but clothes, watches, electronics you can probably save 15-20% on. If you have a sweet tooth, grab some chocolate (Kit Kat, Twix, Mars, etc) they use actual coca and are 1000x better then the US equivalent.

I would just pay on a card if you can, if you feel the need to get cash get it at a bank here before you go. October is a very pretty time in Ottawa and if the weather holds you will enjoy that, good patio drinking weather.
So for shits and giggles I checked out iPads since I kinda want a new one but not really in a rush. Best buy has new 11" pro on sale in US for $949 and Canada is $1399 which exchange rate seems to be about $1035 US. Womp womp.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Also went to air and space and war museum, they were really nice. A bit small on the collection side compared to Smithsonian or some other private collections in the US but I appreciated that they have other items like a lot more British aircraft and Leopard 1 upgrades.

Juvarisx

Florida
So for shits and giggles I checked out iPads since I kinda want a new one but not really in a rush. Best buy has new 11" pro on sale in US for $949 and Canada is $1399 which exchange rate seems to be about $1035 US. Womp womp.

Gotcha. Admittedly its not something I had experience with since pre Covid, so it changing doesn't shock me I guess. Too bad.