Passengers (2016)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
4.00 star(s) Rating: 4.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Passengers

Genre: Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: Morten Tyldum

Cast: Jennifer Lawrence, Chris Pratt, Michael Sheen, Laurence Fishburne, Andy García, Aurora Perrineau, Julee Cerda, Kristin Brock, Vince Foster, Kara Flowers, Conor Brophy, Emma Clarke, Matt Corboy, Fred Melamed, Alpha Takahashi, Matthew Wolf, Jean-Michel Richaud, Jon Spaihts, Curtis Grecco, Joy Spears, Lauren Farmer, Tom Ferrari, Emerald Mayne, Quansae Rutledge, Desmond Reid, Chris Edgerly, Jesus Mendoza, Kimberly Battista, Ana Gray, Inder Kumar, Jamie Soricelli, Ivana Vitomir, Shelby Taylor Mullins, Jeff Olsen, Kevin Tan, Stephen M. LaBar Jr., Kelli Pardo, Robert Larriviere, Nazanin Boniadi, Marie Burke

Release: 2016-12-21

Plot: A spacecraft transporting thousands of people to a distant colony planet has a malfunction in one of its sleep chambers. As a result, a single passenger is awakened 90 years before anyone else. Faced with the prospect of growing old and dying alone, he eventually decides to wake up a second passenger.

Echuta

Golden Knight of the Realm
Looks promising..Chris Pratt and Jlaw got some chemistry...I'm in.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the trailer looks compelling enough for me to get a ticket, but I'm a sucker for space travel/sci-fi movies.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It's a pretty fucked up concept though. So... that.

He's bored so he completely ruins someone elses life. Oh well, we're all "ME ME ME!" types after all.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This needs more Shodan.

SHODAN_hires.jpg

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
He awakens JLaw for sex purposes because he's bored on a 100 year journey?

and then "something" goes wrong and he was awoken purposefully (probably by an AI or some shit). yadda yadda. nothing really new (I'll still watch it, sci-fi + Pratt).

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
31% with 5.3 / 10 on RT.

"At one point the film was set to star Keanu Reeves and Emily Blunt, and was to be produced for the relatively low cost of $35 million."
"Lawrence was paid $20 million against 30 percent of the profit after the movie breaks even and Pratt was paid $12 million."

Chris

Potato del Grande
Fucking gender pay gap. In my opinion Pratt has been in better and bigger movies but I haven't seen Hunger Games, I have seen her asshole though.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Well after Kate Beckinsale, there is nothing left to achieve partner wise. You've already won.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
The script for this was on the Black List and was floating available in places. You have the high-concept in the trailer, and obviously the movie could have changed on the way to the screen but there was lot more to it than what you saw in the trailer and it was a really good, if somewhat cliched read. It felt very much like a 70's-80's era science-fiction story. It should be good with Pratt and Jennfier Lawerence, assuming it was executed well and they really give it time and space to breathe on the screen.

If anything, for the movie to be all that it can be, the trailer needs to be deceiving about how action-packed the movie is; this movie will need long moments of "less action" to be effective, which you don't get from the trailer. Everything you see in the trailer was on the page, though.

Last edited:

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
The script for this was on the Black List and was floating available in places. You have the high-concept in the trailer, and obviously the movie could have changed on the way to the screen but there was lot more to it than what you saw in the trailer and it was a really good, if somewhat cliched read. It felt very much like a 70's-80's era science-fiction story. It should be good with Pratt and Jennfier Lawerence, assuming it was executed well and they really give it time and space to breathe on the screen.

If anything, for the movie to be all that it can be, the trailer needs to be deceiving about how action-packed the movie is; this movie will need long moments of "less action" to be effective, which you don't get from the trailer. Everything you see in the trailer was on the page, though.

So what's the actual plot?

spronk

FPS noob
this was from a neogaf poster, i don't plan on watching this movie. whole plot

so the big reveal is that the reason they woke up is that chris pratt woke up first by some freak ship malfunction, got lonely and pathetic, shopped around and looked for someone to hang out with for the next 90 years, and then sabotaged jlaw's pod. they get into a fight when jlaw finds out, and they stay on either side of the ship for like half the movie.

another pod opens up and its the captain (lawrence fishbourne). together they find out that the ship has some serious malfunctions (hence robotender freaking out) so they try fix it. the captain dies cause, i don't know, his pod was broken for a while and his vitals are all out of whack. the ship is trying to eject pods into space, they manage to save most of them iirc and they manage to fix the ship for the most part. jlaw forgives chris pratt and they become a couple again.

cut to 90 years later when the ship arrives to wherever it was going and there are lot of people coming out. more pods woke people up in the meantime and chris pratt and jlaw became leaders of the ship. also they died of old age and are revered I guess for saving everyone

• 1Like
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database