Pen Testing

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
who does it and what do the suggest starting with to learn it all?

I think I am going to buy a Pineapple Mark V and "war drive" my neighborhood to see how that concept works. Has anyone else played with one? Can you do the same thing in just a software solution?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You might as well have named this thread: "How do I become a leet hax0r?!"

5dc.jpg

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
That said... for a complete beginner Pineapple Mark V is a pretty good starting point.

The only real advice I can give you is to figure out if you even care, computer security is really the only CS field where you really need an in-depth knowledge of low-level hardware, algorithms, and tons of fucking math, otherwise you're just a glorified sysadmin with a tool-belt of "best practices" but no ability to know if your systems actually are secure besides hiring real experts. There isn't an equivalent path to this like "go to a ruby bootcamp!" to get you up to speed quick, at best you can study the common types of attacks, but you need a really large depth of knowledge before you really understand WHY those attacks work and more importantly, how to discover new ones.

Ultimately there is no such thing as a secure computer, all security is a measure of the resources of the attacker vs the defender, where the defender only has to have one error anywhere and the attacker wins.

The tool-belt is essentially just to make it so inconvenient to discover those flaws that they give up and move to a new target, however, with current technology, it is literally impossible to deter a hacker who has the drive to attack and the time to be patient.

First rule of security: Don't piss people off.
Yeah I read this article monthly and share it with all my friends.

Everything Is Broken - The Message - Medium

I am just interested in playing around with a few things I don't normally do to get a better understanding of it all. Yeah 99.99% of it will be on my personal network. I won't actually get into any neighbor networks just learning about the process and seeing the different security protocols in action and playing with some different tools.

Thinking on making Kali work on my surface with a wifi dongle that can do promiscuous mode.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
If you don't want to bother messing with your Surface, there is a version of Kali for ras pi. Cheap way to check it out without blowing up something you're already using (if that's the case).

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
If you don't want to bother messing with your Surface, there is a version of Kali for ras pi. Cheap way to check it out without blowing up something you're already using (if that's the case).
Ahh will look into that, lets me keep something dedicated to it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I touched it last time when it was like Backtrack 4 or something. It was a little klunkier back then. I hear it is infinitely better now.