Printer suggestions

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I'm looking for a printer that will do color ledger size (11x17), ideally laserjet, but inkjet if laser is too expensive. All-in-one scan/copy etc, wireless all that shit.

Anyone know printers? I don't, and holy fuck there are zillions of them. Fucking obnoxious.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Price range, monthly volume, other features?

Just personal home stuff, it's actually for my mother because she's lazy/busy and can't look for this shit herself, but I'm printer illiterate because as Mist said, fuck printers. Small monthly volume, rare ledger 11x17 usage, price range probably 250 tops. Features just need scan/copy/print wireless network blah blah which is all the usual all-in-one shit (I think).

Are laserjet(color) no good? I thought laser was sorta >>> inkjet across the board typically, albeit more expensive. If there's a solid color laserjet solution, the 11x17 capability might be droppable if necessary.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
brother printer offers reasonable ink prices and are pretty decent.
now I myself use counterfeit inkjets just because i don't want to shell out $100 when I could pay $30 for...two.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Careful, printers are starting to detect counterfeit ink and will permanently shut down

Yeah, because that isn't a racket or anything

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
they can already detect it but i have yet to find a printer that shuts down
that's crazy if they do....holy shit....

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Was it HP in the news for that recently? Can't remember, I know they stopped after it pissed everyone off.

I work for an office equipment dealer/servicer and we sell a decent number of HP printers. Most of our clients use compatible over OEM because of the cost. You won't get the same yield or image quality, but for the vast majority of cases it's definitely the way to go.

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, it was HP that did it. From what I remember, they used a security update to the firmware that made the printer report the cartridge as damaged if it wasn't an HP cartridge.

Siliconemelons

I got a color dell laser, had like stupid cheap replacement carts on ebay and WiFi. Works great been through one black so far and replaced with a generic, no fuss and properly reset and sensed capacity indicator.

Most consumer dell's are based on their prof stuff and if you made companies printers stop working with generic toner, your ganna find they will never buy your damn printers again, nor will a print management companies use your product.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Was it HP in the news for that recently? Can't remember, I know they stopped after it pissed everyone off.

I work for an office equipment dealer/servicer and we sell a decent number of HP printers. Most of our clients use compatible over OEM because of the cost. You won't get the same yield or image quality, but for the vast majority of cases it's definitely the way to go.
HP recently bought Samsungs printer division, is that the reason you saw them in the news?

Based on what i could find looks like
Epson
Cannon
Hp/Samsung

all have counters and chips, you either have to put tape over your ink cartridge, click some buttons, then tape over a second set of pins, then again and so on, for laser printers, you gotta update the driver or firmware with a counter reset...

So like Xadion said maybe nab a Dell Printers - Amazon

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I think it's epson that has printers now that don't take ink cartidges but you fill them up with bulk ink as you need it and has a much larger capacity.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Shameless necro, but I never want to touch another HP printer again in my life.
Need a new printer to handle the husband printing out lesson plans, assignments, and other school shit. Also printing out shit that contains PII, so none of this HP account shit where they’ll happily spy on all the bullshit you’re printing.
Brother still a solid printer without ridiculous greed on consumables? HP Instant Ink is also the most laughable crock of shit ever.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Need a new printer to handle the husband printing out lesson plans, assignments, and other school shit. Also printing out shit that contains PII, so none of this HP account shit where they’ll happily spy on all the bullshit you’re printing.
Brother still a solid printer without ridiculous greed on consumables? HP Instant Ink is also the most laughable crock of shit ever.
youre asking for a laser printer right?
6879bac2137165ec54eab683e945ecc2.png

it's the cheapest laser printer and it even somehow does duplex for that price, it'll also take 3rd party toner and it's cheap, 30bucks for 2

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
heres the cheap toner, it's an amazon bestseller so you should have zero issues
714ec79184dbd355a2eb497aafec2da8.png

GREENCYCLE Compatible Toner Cartridge Replacement for Canon 126 CRG-126 CRG126 3483B001 for use in ImageClass LBP6200d and LBP6230dw LBP-6230dn LBP-6230 Wireless Laser Printers (Black,2 PK)

(i checked the forums and this printer accepts 3rd party toner, zero issues)

printer is also on sale at bestbuy if you want to pick it up local, pretty sure they won't sell cheap toner tho

you should also think about getting a case of paper tbh if he's doing lots of printing
99f41dc0b169d352c5b8cad1c641e7e8.png

comes out to less than 5$ a reem, staples would try to get 8$ a reem for hammermill

and if you don't use it all, it's paper, unless you decide to store it in your basement to grow mushrooms, it'll last you a while, it's not really that much paper if you think about it, a textbook is around 500sheets, thats already 1 reem

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
heres the cheap toner, it's an amazon bestseller so you should have zero issues
714ec79184dbd355a2eb497aafec2da8.png

GREENCYCLE Compatible Toner Cartridge Replacement for Canon 126 CRG-126 CRG126 3483B001 for use in ImageClass LBP6200d and LBP6230dw LBP-6230dn LBP-6230 Wireless Laser Printers (Black,2 PK)

(i checked the forums and this printer accepts 3rd party toner, zero issues)

printer is also on sale at bestbuy if you want to pick it up local, pretty sure they won't sell cheap toner tho

you should also think about getting a case of paper tbh if he's doing lots of printing
99f41dc0b169d352c5b8cad1c641e7e8.png

comes out to less than 5$ a reem, staples would try to get 8$ a reem for hammermill

and if you don't use it all, it's paper, unless you decide to store it in your basement to grow mushrooms, it'll last you a while, it's not really that much paper if you think about it, a textbook is around 500sheets, thats already 1 reem

Paper I'm good on, since family owns a print and ship store, so I can get my mom to drop me off some Hammermill whenever. Will have to check to make sure he never needs anything in color, but otherwise doesn't seem too bad a printer.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

Brother is also still good if you don't want to go the Canon route, although their prices have been increasing.

The HL-L2350DW is about $50 more. It does 6 more pages/min (32 vs 26), but you lose out on Ethernet. The HL-L2370DW is about $60 more (than the Canon), does 36ppm, and it has Ethernet. Both have duplex.