Program needed : random name select

Great Ogre Dictator

Golden Knight of the Realm
I need help either finding or creating a pc program.

? The program needs to randomly choose a name, without repeats.
? Names should come from an easily editable database, such as a text doc with each name on an individual line or from an excel doc.
? Needs to be capable of creating a random array from a large set of names (at least 120).
? It will cycle through the current set of names until told to reset, or it reaches the end, at which point it will create a new random array.
? I need to be able to save the current array so that I can continue on from day to day.

This is mostly a program to assign certain daily tasks fairly (e.g. toolroom duty, projects, cutters/fitters, etc.). I've been having a horrible time looking something up online for this; most programs have no save options, and/or are limited to very small lists.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Vinen

God is dead
I need help either finding or creating a pc program.

? The program needs to randomly choose a name, without repeats.
? Names should come from an easily editable database, such as a text doc with each name on an individual line or from an excel doc.
? Needs to be capable of creating a random array from a large set of names (at least 120).
? It will cycle through the current set of names until told to reset, or it reaches the end, at which point it will create a new random array.
? I need to be able to save the current array so that I can continue on from day to day.

This is mostly a program to assign certain daily tasks fairly (e.g. toolroom duty, projects, cutters/fitters, etc.). I've been having a horrible time looking something up online for this; most programs have no save options, and/or are limited to very small lists.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Talk to a_skeleton_03. This would be an EXCELLENT project for him to focus his dev work on. These are very simple requirements to meet.

Great Ogre Dictator

Golden Knight of the Realm
I could be useful!
It would be great if you could.
smile.png

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Still in planning phase. Waiting for HR to create user stories so time can be billed properly.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I am SCRUMing it right now.

No for real I was coming to post that I am starting to play with it now.

What would make it like 10 lines of code is if you just had it be a random number generator that just spit out a bunch of numbers and you just looked at the spreadsheet and assigned that name to that number from the row it is in.

I will try a couple different things though.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
The construct you're describing, a collection of one piece of data pointing to another piece of data, is called a dictionary or map in most languages.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
You should do this with VBA in Excel a_skeleton_03 just so it's got an approachable interface he can use day to day. In fact, you can do this using just formulas and sorting but that's not as fun.