Quake Champions

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

xzi

Mouthbreather
Finally released gameplay footage at Quake con and I'm hype.

I have a mighty desire to play a good arena shooter ever since they ruined Quake Live by splitting the community and adding premium. Gross.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Is it just me, or is the game simply doomed to failure ? There hasn't been any arena shooter looking remotely interesting to me, I would happily relive the magic, but I got older, slower and getting stomped is no fun. Not to mention the tedium of finding a good server, hackers, population, etc.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I still love them from time to time, but yeah arena shooters are definitely nowhere near as popular as they once were, and I expect them to still be a niche. I wouldn't be surprised if there is another game mode or two that are more casual friendly to actually bring in an audience.

I am hoping there's also a quake single player though, that with modding in a new quake engine would be fucking great. I still play quake mods even.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
There is absolutely a space in the gaming sphere for an extremely high skill cap arena shooter. What it requires though, is matchmaking, a MMR system, and regional dedicated servers. In the vein of CS, Dota, League, Overwatch, RL Etc. Without the back end support to create a skill progression with like skill opponents a game like this just won't last. Regional or random server selection as in a browser, as you say, is no longer a viable way to host a long term multiplayer titles if the intent is to keep its population high. Getting stomped is purely a function of bad matchmaking and insufficient player base in this day and age, such an experience (getting stomped) is not restricted to age, even if as we age we aren't what we individually used to be.

There has not been a high quality, high skill cap arena shooter in more than a decade. Quake Live, and the Unreal that's around these days are both really good games. But if you are not already god tier, the only people who play are people who in general are already hyper good. There is no treadmill to learn the game when the only populated match has such a vast skill spread and there is no new blood. Come on Matchmaker/skill rating system.

edit: Just because I decided to look into it.

Bethesda.net

eSports is clearly a big part of Quake Champions, but why is this also a great competitive game for any type of player?

Quake Champions is designed to be a competitive game that anyone can play. We believe that our matchmaking system and our ranking system, as well as the very nature of the Champions, will lend themselves to a great entry into this game for people who aren’t familiar with Quake or maybe just haven’t played it.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
Quake Live had a chance until they introduced ads and then introduced premium which completely 100% killed the community. I agree with dedicated servers and MMR, but I really like community servers for anything that isn't directly competitive (defrag, racing, etc).

I think they'll make the right move, if anything because when they announced the game they announced they're trying to get it to be at a stable 120 fps for everyone which is sadly kind of a crazy statement. I believe they can do it too because DOOM is the most optimized game I've ever played, and quake will have considerably less entities to deal with on screen at any given time so that's a plus.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Two new Arena map trailers

Second one looks like it's straight out of DOOM, which isn't really a bad thing but holy fuck that Blood Covenant map. That makes me REALLY hope they release a single player as well because that is the most quake map ever.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yeah q3dm6 pretty much goes down as the single greatest fps map ever, more so then dust/dust2. Looks like they added a few alt paths to it.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I'm still holding out hope they give us actual modding tools but they seem to think Snapmap in DOOM is a fantastic success. Which, while good - there's so much left to desire.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
fuck I missed this. PM me if you have an invite that you won't be able to use

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I'm not as big into competitive FPS's now that I'm older, but damn does this bring some nostalgia.

I was in high school and my grandfather gave us some money to get my first PC. We went to a Gateway store and they had a demo machine with Quake 3 on it. I was immediately hooked (I think it was the railgun graphics).

Somehow through Quake 3 I found Noows and that led to Everquest.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user