Quake Champions

xzi

Mouthbreather
Got my invite, installing right now and fully intend on playing this the entire weekend. There's an NDA unfortunately but it is a closed beta, I'm not surprised!

Mick

<Gold Donor>
So is this just an updated version of quake live or is it something else?

xzi

Mouthbreather
default weapon is not good, never really has been

also next closed beta is april 13th-16th, not sure if they're sending out more invites or not but worth to check for anyone that hasn't gotten one

xzi

Mouthbreather
Really? One of the primary things for me in this game vs say Quake Live are that it does have that medieval lovecraftian influence like the original quake did, nailed aesthetics but that's just my opinion

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Dunno. Something between the sound, animations, and physics engine feel floaty and etherial to me, without the visceral punch I'd normally associate with an id (derivative) game. Maybe I'm just old with a bad memory.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I think its you/bad memory. It very much feels like Quake, in movement and weapon profile.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Do you like quake? It's sort of like a mixture of live and Q3Arena. Of course not breaking NDA cause you can see that in videos :p

Slithum

Nil Satis, Nisi Optimum
beta keys for those that want

QMU8-F68H-G2PR-6Y6K-H83B

RMU6-E79U-Q9EF-2M6P-N49A

EYP4-H74D-F6BB-8U4M-R36G

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Used the last code (thx), redeemed it to my bethesda account but the game is not showing up in the launcher thingie.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The server's aren't up right now, I'm not sure if that impacts visibility or not in the launcher.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So:
Nostalgia-driven cash grab or rebirth of the arena shooter genre?

I'd love to get *really* good at an FPS again, it's been a while and I'm tired of low-skill cap FPS.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
It should be noted there are microtransactions but unnecessary if you don't want them. Learned in an interview a while back all heroes can be unlocked through playing and won't take long or you can just drop like 30$ and have everything in the game unlocked which I'm likely going to do anyways.

It genuinely feels like the next logical step and one last huzzah for arena shooters. Under NDA and you can see all this through clips and interviews so not breaking any rules.

I can say I've been playing it all night every night for the last 4 or 5 weekends

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Its Quake, a couple things I would want different. I don't think its one last hurrah, its the first modern arena shooter with the right infrastructure behind it. Namely matchmaking and dedicated servers. Any PvP only game revolving around a high skill cap is dead in the water if it doesn't have the above. Rocket League, Dota, League, overwatch etc.

skrala

Silver Knight of the Realm
NDA dropped. I've really been enjoying the betas, as someone who grew up with the first 3 Quakes and played an ungodly amount of Q1DM3 it feels very familiar. Netcode still needs some cleanup but I love the speed of the game.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wow, the netcode is BAD. I'm usually one to never bitch about netcode either, but it's that bad.