Rebel Ridge (2024)

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Rebel Ridge (2024)

Tagline: Their laws. His rules.

Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller

Director: Jeremy Saulnier

Cast: Aaron Pierre, Don Johnson, AnnaSophia Robb, Emory Cohen, David Denman, Oscar Gale, Steve Zissis, Daniel Chung, Dana Lee, C.J. LeBlanc, Zsané Jhé, Reid Williams, Matthew Rimmer, Brannon Cross, Victor Eli Hugo, James Cromwell, Chelsea Bryan, Al Vicente, Terence Rosemore, Leslie Nipkow, Rhonda Johnson Dents, Charlie Talbert, Harlon Miller, Clayton Cooper, Caleb J. Thaggard, Jordan Thoma, Angela Griffitt

Release: 2024-08-27

Runtime: 132

Plot: A former Marine confronts corruption in a small town when local law enforcement unjustly seizes the bag of cash he needs to post his cousin's bail.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Think "Southern Comfort" for the woke generation.

It's a tight, tense, satisfying thriller. 7/10.
Worth watching.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider

Worth watching.
I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I like AnnaSophia Robb and am automatically inclined to watch anything she's in, but that trailer was literally "White People Bad" and every stereotype supporting it that they could fit in. I just recently watched Blue Beetle for the first time, and while it was overall a mediocre movie anyway, it was clear how much they pushed the "Whites are Bad" agenda along with the "Hard working Mexican family just wants to be left alone, but also is superior in every way to stupid greedy whitey" and it just gets to be too much.

Without having seen this movie, it is essentially the plot of multiple Reacher stories, but since it is a black man they go all in on how they never would have done that to him if he were white. On top of that, the black guy acts over the top "black" in multiple situations ("But then I said naaaah") so we associate his black behavior with cool, good guy, hero, etc.

I would not have a problem if this were literally just Black Reacher, and I would probably enjoy it. But it is clear that's not the point of the movie at all. The point is White Bad, Black Good. Fuck off Netflix.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Worth watching.
Southern Confort was the national guard guys who get lost in the swamp, wasn't it? Had one of the Carradine bros in it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Heriotze

<Gold Donor>
Southern Confort was the national guard guys who get lost in the swamp, wasn't it? Had one of the Carradine bros in it.
Yeah, it had the Carradine who didn't hang himself in his closet with a belt while jacking off. Powers Booth was great in that movie, it was somehow always on in the late afternoon when I was 7 or 8, finally got to watch it again about a year ago, still a decent movie

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
It has taken me 3 days to try and get through this because it is so bland and boring. It very much starts out as a “white people are bad” and leans on every small town racist stereotype that just about exists. But then it tries to be something bigger and more conspiratorial and is just, well, bland and boring. Maybe it ends strong? I don’t have high hopes.

The biggest twist in the movie is that AnnaSophia’s kid isn’t mixed.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It was literally Black Reacher.

That's all it was.

That being said - meh, wasn't the worst background movie watch i've had.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Edit: Heriotze Heriotze had it covered. Sorry catching up.

Had Powers Booth, too. They were getting hunted by coon-asses after they took their boats trying to shave off distance on their exercise or whatever. Also had Remo Williams, The adventure begins! Don't remember that guy's name.

Kinda cheesy, but a masterpiece by today's standards. You also don't steal a Cajun's pirogue.

• 1Like

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Absolutely awesome fucking movie. Fantastic lean scripting and direction--two hours with nothing wasted. If you enjoy procedural action/thrillers, you'll love this.

Aaron Pierce is a monster and I can't believe John Boyega was ever going to get that role. Annasophia Robb plays an actual strong female character instead of girl Rambo and was in many ways the beating heart of the movie. Hope to see more from both of them. Don Johnson is great as usual.

That said, hope to see a return to higher levels of graphic violence in Jeremy Saulnier's next movie, because he does some of the best in the business.

• 1Garbage

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Decent flick. Started as background noise this morning while I came around and found myself stopping to watch. Not a lot of action but when there was it was turned to 11. 8/10 worth a watch if you have Netflix or the high seas.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database