Repairing laptop DC jack

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I got my new soldering station the other day as well as some solder wick and flux. The DC Jack should be in on Monday to replace. The laptop is basically unusable at this point thanks to my wife not listening to me about it being broken (she decided if we just wiggled it more, and harder, it would fix). Worst comes to worst I'll just bring the board and jack to some dude to repair, but I'm not too worried.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I feel like I owe you bros a final update.

So after a ton of waiting around I finally got everything in. All said and done, I probably would've saved money just going to a tech - but that's because I decided it was time for a new soldering station so I bought one. Taking apart my laptop is really shitty, like I said I've done it so many times now it's easy but it takes forever. Removing the jack on this thing was the worst experience of my life. I had to heat up my iron to 890F just to melt the solder on the jack and even then it was bullshit. I used solder braid and it was terrible - top 5 worst experiences of my life. Getting the solder out of the board after the jack was off was even worse.

I forgot to mention, a lot of people have trouble removing this laptop's jack and the solution is to tear the existing jack apart - like cutting it into pieces while it's still on the board. I actually ended up having to do that. I literally pulled out the jack by pieces. It was the point of no return then.

Finally I then soldered the new jack in about 30 seconds. I wasn't sure if I caused any damage running my iron so hot, but apparently not.

I think my cable might still be fucked up as it has some dead spots, but once you find a spot it charges fine. Before you would have to prop stuff up underneath the cable.

Here's to hoping it stays fixed.

Thanks for the confidence boost guys, I did it!

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My dad and I were going to do this with my Asus laptop this weekend so I'm glad to read your report despite the fact that this is making me want to just take it in somewhere...

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My dad and I were going to do this with my Asus laptop this weekend so I'm glad to read your report despite the fact that this is making me want to just take it in somewhere...
Keep in mind I'm only a novice solderer, so your mileage may vary. I, and others apparently, had a terrible time taking the old jack off though. The new one didn't even fit in as snug as I wanted, so I'm a little worried about it.

I ordered a new charger too, hoping it works 100% now.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Braid works great. Before each use dip the tip in Flux, it will help with wicking. Once it's sucked up some solder cut off the stiff tip, re-dip in flux, repeat.

To initially melt the solder, put a droplet on the tip of your soldering iron, it will help transfer the heat, and normal silver solder will help it re-melt once it blends in.

Depending on how many pins on the DC jack, yes you'll have to rip it apart. Once their down to individual pins, melt the solder while pressing on it to force through. Once its sticking out on the underside pull on it with needle noses while keeping the solder melted. Once its purely solder in the hole just use the braid, or sucker.

And don't rush. I do all the soldering where I work and it still takes time. I did a 5pin DC jack today, took about 45mins from start to finish. (Looks better then factory soldering might I add
cool.png
)

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Before each use dip the tip in Flux, it will help with wicking.
I was like 3 or 4 years into being an engineer before anyone told me about flux. We had a fab shop so I didn't have to do any soldering but sometimes it's just easier to do it yourself than to pack it upstairs and try to get somebody to do a little job but I never understood why I sucked so bad at it. Finding out about flux changed my world. That and making sure your tip is clean make soldering so much easier.