RIP Tom Clancy

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fuck
frown.png

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Shame, I really liked his Jack Ryan/John Clark series back in the day. Never got in to this non-fiction stuff, and quite frankly I was extremely disgusted at how he whored his name out on books he had nothing to do with over the past 10 years.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
The one non-fiction book of his I read, Shadow Warriors, was excellent. The later books in the Jack Ryan series weren't as good imo.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
He was mailing it in, the last 5 or so Jack Ryan books were also co-written, which probably means he sketched the plot out a bit and handed it off to whoever was ghostwriting. I think I stopped at the Bear and the Dragon, which I think was pretty mediocre too. I can quite clearly remember the plots and details of all of the books up to and including Rainbox Six despite not having read any of them in 10+ years, but I have barely any recollection of the Bear and the Dragon. Come to think of it, I don't really remember much about Executive Orders either. Debt of Honor was the last really good one IMO.

Budrick

Molten Core Raider
Although his latest books were not as good as his earlier works, he is still one of my favourite authors.
Patriot Games is still one of my all time best reads ever.

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
He was mailing it in, the last 5 or so Jack Ryan books were also co-written, which probably means he sketched the plot out a bit and handed it off to whoever was ghostwriting. I think I stopped at the Bear and the Dragon, which I think was pretty mediocre too. I can quite clearly remember the plots and details of all of the books up to and including Rainbox Six despite not having read any of them in 10+ years, but I have barely any recollection of the Bear and the Dragon. Come to think of it, I don't really remember much about Executive Orders either. Debt of Honor was the last really good one IMO.
I remember both Executive Orders and Bear and the Dragon, but after Debt of Honor I agree he was mailing them in.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Damn many hours of entertainment had across many mediums because of this man. RIP

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Not to be callous, but, who cares? Red Rabbit was the last book of his I read, and it sucked ass. Everything before that I liked, but his day had come.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
He had a pretty profound impact on our culture not just in books, but also movies and video games. It's worth a mention on this message board, for sure.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I haven't read a book of his in probably 10 years, but The Hunt for Red October and Patriot Games were fantastic. Red Storm Rising was even better, and is probably one of my favorite books now that I reflect upon it.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I put way too many hours into Rainbow 6: Vegas multiplayer.

This alone is worth mentioning his name here on top of the books he wrote. I went to one of his book signings once and a couple of his novels were recommended reading when I was in the military.

iannis

Musty Nester
Really? I didn't think he was that old. Well fuck.

They don't all have to be literary masterpieces in order for us to recognize the man contributed. I've only read about 4 of his books, 2 were good 2 were ok.

RIP.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I read Red Storm Rising on an almost yearly basis growing up, would just find it somewhere in my house/apartment and open to a page and just finish it from there. It was a paperback and is now split in half, just for all those hours of reading a tip of the cap I guess....