Sales Career Thread - Uncapped Commission for Everyone

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Any other career sales people lurking in the forums? I know that Haus Haus is in IT sales like me, but it thought it would be interesting to see who else stresses about quotas every quarter. I have only worked for pretty large corporations and would love to hear more about smaller/family owned businesses.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Yeah, I've been in IT my whole career (since 18), in Cybersecurity for the last quarter century (since 99), and in sales since 2012. The sales path for me was through the reseller space for the first 8 years or so, now I'm in the big corporate vendor world.

This has been one of those "sometimes it just bees like dat" years for me. My sales cycles are long in what I sell and who I sell it to (9-18 month). And due to some random ass crap outside my control I'm staring down the barrel of my worst year to quota in my sales career (finishing the year around 20% to quota) and knowing every year in my neck of the industry quota increases START at 25%. Already getting decent pipe up for next year though.

Luckily at my company base comp is good, so a bad sales year just means less luxuriating/investing/big project completions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yup, 22 years of financial services (insurance and retirement) planning. All sales. It’s a people business though, product doesn’t matter, just relationships.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Yup, 22 years of financial services (insurance and retirement) planning. All sales. It’s a people business though, product doesn’t matter, just relationships.
Purchaser says no.

With companies being forced to watch their spend a lot more I don't see much future in relation-based sales.

AI is not going to give a fuck about it, so I think it will die in BtB.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
From a washed up sales guy's perspective...

Spoiler long rambling personal stories, probably oversharing.

Spent the last 4 years of my career at a large telecommunications provider (guess that is still true) in Sales. That was after almost a decade in Engineering and Engineering Management. Had a very good built in relationship with the client base so when the account manager left everyone lobbied to move me in to sales and preserve / take advantage of those relationships. I was excited because it would allow me to focus on the more strategic and business development side of things and less of the technical engineering side of generating equipment lists, visio diagrams, cutover plans, acceptance testing, etc.

It was a very old school sales organization though. The expectation was an unwritten rule about starched white shirt, clean shaven face, Glengarry Glen Ross sales organization. We had so many Miller Heiman training sessions, role playing sessions for large project negotiations, if I came in with a little stubble my boss's favorite expression was "Is Gillet on fucking strike? What the fuck is that on your face?" I can't even really complain about it because the company was/is very successful and the born and bred sales guys executed. There was a very specific mold they wanted and as an engineer and 30 years old at the time, that just wasn't me. And I say that not to suggest I wasn't successful. It just wasn't the way they wanted things to work.

I had something like a $11 - $15M sales quota and a $10M revenue quota each year, which I met or exceeded all 4 years. But it wasn't the way they wanted. I didn't see the value in generating 1,000 proposals hoping that 4 or 5 would stick. Or putting in 8 hours of drive time to go personally visit every customer hoping to drum up $30k - $50k of business. My primary accounts were State level organizations, but because we were short handed I also had to cover some smaller local accounts. But again, they had a formula that worked and I was bucking that trend. Not trying to be too critical of their expectations, we just weren't aligned, and if you weren't playing the old guard sales guy game you were looked down on.

It was pretty miserable. Close a $5M deal on March 31st and wake up on April 1st back at $0 and you're a piece of shit again. There's no memory in sales only what are you doing now and what do you have lined up for tomorrow. And that leads to sand bagging, hiding deals, pushing things out, pulling thing in, and you spend more time managing your pipeline and bosses than your clients.

We had a long sales cycle because most of it was tied to legislative sessions and not every sessions was a fiscal year. So we were working on 18+ month deals hoping that we could get appropriations passed in a legislative cycle that wasn't coming up for another 12 months. We'd spend the off years working on policy to help strengthen the fiscal stuff, but if there's no money there's no money. The rest of the time was chasing VCIF, CJIS, COPS and other grants that you could supplement sales with. On the more local level we'd have to work with City or County govts for sales tax increases to fund projects. Spent a lot of time managing lobbyists, donating to political funds, dinners with Mayors and Judges. Those things were awesome. Cultivating the relationship, coming up with opportunities to secure funding, being creative with timelines, maximizing dollars. It was all just the management side of things.

Eventually the stress, the drinking, the 24/7 on call was taking a toll on me and my family and the compensation just wasn't worth it. Then one morning before Christmas my brother died and I just couldn't handle it all. Something had to give so I pretty much walked away. Turned in my resignation a couple weeks later. They tried to get me to go back to engineering but it just wasn't going to work.

All that experience helped my transition to the consulting side though. Being self employed I have no one to answer to but myself and I can decide how much "sales" I try to do for new business. The focus is almost entirely strategic while leveraging my technical background. I know most of the players and vendors personally because it is such a small industry. Overall happiness level is much higher and more fulfilling. And I'm making more money at the same time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We don’t do transactional business. We do planning. You aren’t getting an estate plan online. Someone with a $30 million net worth wants to discuss this shit with an expert and it takes months.

you want term? Fine, do that online because it’s not worth my time anyway. What you’re doing is making an assumption about something you know nothing about.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Purchaser says no.

With companies being forced to watch their spend a lot more I don't see much future in relation-based sales.

AI is not going to give a fuck about it, so I think it will die in BtB.
This is definitely affecting some areas, but I would say consulting/planning and such will be the most resistant so long as people want/need human input.

In my world, you're dead on right. This movement was starting around 2017-2018. It used to be that we would sell to the security teams at companies, they would then craft up their requests for budgets and whatnot based on the solutions they wanted to buy from us. There was sometimes a require for X number of vendor offerings and such, but that could be worked around because the decision makers were the technical people/security leads and they could craft their requirements to meet the solution they wanted.

Purchasing departments hated that we would have personal relationships with the executives and technical influencers, as they're compensated often by how good a discount they can get. In the older days it would be that we would have a "bake off" with other technologies, whoever won that the security team would take to executives to get purchased. Purchasing departments (as we say "The rise of the VMO" , Vendor Management Office) then told them to stop telling any vendor that they had technically won because they wanted to leverage of saying "Oh, you won't go to an 85% discount? I can hang up this phone and promise you vendor XYZ will..."

The way we would build these relationships was the old school way, we took teams, managers, and executives to lunches to talk and build the relationship. Folks would play Golf (or drink at Top Golf), or go to the range, or go to marketing events to socialize with the vendors/resellers. To be honest in my current position I consider one of the advantages is that I'm able to make and establish personal relationships with all the CISOs in my territory. Because I know if I move to another company they'll be a lot more likely to take my call and hear me out about what I'm selling because they remember I helped them out when I was with the employer I'm at now. Interviewing in my industry often includes a discussion about "who do you have in your rolodex", meaning who can you call and get meetings to sell stuff.

Then covid hit, and nobody got to do ANY in person events/lunches/golf/anything. Purchasing departments seized on this opportunity to make it company policy not to do these things at all going forward. Some places went along with this.

Now, with all my customers it's gotten to the point that we win the technical battle, then have to win a procurement battle. But what's happening is that now instead of just building the relationship with the technical decision makers and controllers of budget, we're also making relationship with the purchasing department heads. And just like that we're kinda back to where we were. We just now know the things we do to ingratiate ourselves to VMO's, VP's or procurement, etc. Amazing how going through one or two procurement cycles with a VMO and suddenly you know how they prefer things, you know how to help them get their job done faster, you know to hold off on a certain amount of discounting so you can make them look good by saying "We got VendorX to knock an additional 5% off that multi-million dollar purchase!"

I've had heads of purchasing at some companies I support even go do far as to text us on the side and say "Look, Vendor Y is coming in at $X. Beat that price and they go away." and not necessarily texting Vendor Y and telling them anything... Because of relationships.

Also, we're seeing some companies that decided to do the "decision purely by bean counting" start to see those decisions backfire on them when they end up with a technically deficient solution because some other vendor managed to answer the RFP right, and low ball the price. Which is causing some push back to "we need to be able to decide the right solution, THEN hammer out pricing".

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
What you’re doing is making an assumption about something you know nothing about.
first time GIF