Samsung SSD - 15 TB

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
My turbo made my computer go from 2mhz to 4mhz. This was I am confident in saying, not used for older games.

4af8899485e1e3254238ded1bd229259220f9415295400b074d4e7f1584a880c.jpg
I think it was dependant on the computer, watched a video the other day explaining that it was at first meant to slow the computer down to use stuff that required a 4.77 clock for timing. Then some changed it to actually switch the clock speed to fast and then some stayed. Basically it did whatever you thought it would do and they could sell you.

Anyway, first hard drive I got was a 5mb drive my neighbor liberated from work as he was over the engineering department. I was the shit then. He was good for a lot of stuff. He upgraded every 3 months and built best of the best stuff and had an office at home as well. A lot of it wound up at my house including some expensive software they had extra keys for.

Guess it worked out for him either way, he later became the CEO of the local electric company where he worked.

Remember to park/ship your heads before you turn the computer off.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
The first PC I had with a turbo button was my 386 circa 1990 or so, made it go from 16mhz to 25mhz. Then the first PC I ever built was a 486 66 and the turbo button downclocked it to 33mhz for the sake of playing older games.

Borzak

Yeah I always thought it sped it up to. The video I watched is a guy who buys the really old computers and hardware/software and he pointed out they started being a slow down button. Backed it up with several of the computers he had up and running that some slowed it down and some sped it up. Marketing hype lol.

Throwback thread I guess. At least nowdays you don't have to buy a separate math coprocessor like you used to. I had to buy them when I started building 386's to run AutoCad.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah my first 386 was an SX, rather than a DX, so it had no math coprocessor. Live and learn. The first gen of 486s had the same damn thing, SX and DX models depending on the math coprocessor.

Nothing like the days of having a CPU, math coprocessor, 2 different sound cards (my roland did awesome midi music but had no voice capabilities, so needed a SoudBlaster as well for the voice), expansion cards to give you more serial ports, or COM ports, or whatever you needed. My goddamn Thrustmaster flight stick came with it's own card you had to install with it's own gameport(serial port) on it, etc. Wasn't uncommon to have serious IRQ issues back in the day from so many goddamn cards trying not to conflict with each other.

I actually kind of miss the early days of 3D acceleration when they were all add-in cards, you still needed a 2D video card to daisy-chain off of. Loved my Matrox Mellennium(2D), 3DFX Voodoo 3D combo.

Column_sl

shitlord
Had a friend that worked at EB games at the time Everquest launched. He stole a bunch of 3dfx cards before he quit, and I had two of them shotgunned together for EQ.

It was the tits.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Old geek thread?! I remember buying a top of the line 3Dfx Pure3D with 6 massive megabytes of VRAM. 2 megs more than the next best card!

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Yah but did any of you fork out extra cash for that new exciting tech to play EQ called RDRAM?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I worked at Software Etc(Babbage's and Software Etc merged and formed Gamestop in the early 2000s) back in the late 90s when all the 3D cards first started coming out.

When the Voodoo2 launched, there was an 8MB version and a 12MB version. The 12MB version was in VERY short supply around our area, NOBODY had them in stock in my city, except us, we had 2. They were like $600 apiece or some crap.

It's a Saturday evening and a guy calls and asks if we have any Voodoo2 cards, and I tell him we have both the 8MB and 12MB version in stock. He flips out with excitement and wants both of the 12MB cards. He asks if I can hold them for him because he lives about 3 hours away and he doesn't want to drive that far and we sell them between now and then. I tell him sure, no problem.

A few hours pass by and it's about 10 minutes to close and this guy comes running into the store all out of breath. It's the guy who wants to buy the cards, but he tells me that he's accidentally locked his keys(and wallet) in his car out in the mall parking lot, he asks to use our phone to call a locksmith. Being saturday night, locksmiths are closed but he finds one that has an emergency 24/7 number but the tell him it'll be a couple hours before they can get someone out there. I inform him that I can't stay open 2 extra hours, the mall requires us to close at 9pm, but I'd be happy to hold them for him for tomorrow.

Well, he leaves the store and comes back a couple minutes later with blood pouring down his entire arm. I guess he decided to punch through his window and break it rather than waiting on the locksmith, and he cut the shit out of his arm doing so. I sell him his $1200 worth of video cards and give him a roll of paper towels for his arm. He seemed happy.

Crazy fuckers.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yah but did any of you fork out extra cash for that new exciting tech to play EQ called RDRAM?
I put together a pentium pro 200/3dfx Voodoo rig in '96 with stupid ass expensive RDRAM because the only Intel motherboards that supported the PPro at the time used RDRAM. It was gay.

But god damn that rig was a monster for the day.
biggrin.png

Borzak

I'm old. The big deal back in my day was to get a card/monitor combo that would do 80 characters wide in color instead of 40 mono.

Even as a young teenager I made a decent amount of money making cables for some companies and people my dad worked with who couldn't follow a pin assignment for making a custom cable to work with printers and plotters.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I had to upgrade my 2MB of RAM to 4MB of RAM so I could play a little game called Myst

Nice 33MHz processor on that beast

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I sold so many CD-ROMs when they first came to market just because of Myst. That was pretty much the first best-selling PC game that was ONLY available on CD. Looking back on it, I can't believe people basically paid $300-$400 just to play that game(single-speed CDROM + Myst)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Also later on I saved up my money all summer to buy a Voodoo3 2000 (I was 10? 12?). Popped that thing and played Quake2 and had my first orgasm.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
The Voodoo boxes were fucking amazing. I would always look at each one and newer ones kept getting more realistic. Playing Everquest with only like 24? MB of RAM was horrible. Going up to 124 (126?) was night and day difference. No lag.