Side gigs

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Does anyone do anything outside of your normal job to make some extra money? What do you do? How much do you make from it? Are you building it to one day leave your current job or is it just something you're going to keep on the side?

I work in IT full time but on the side I run a amazon FBA and ebay store. I mostly pick up inventory from thrift stores and clearance racks. I also make (shitty) websites here and there. Right now i'm only making a few hundred extra per month, but I've made a few thousand per month when I really hustle.

Last edited:

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I bill about 4 days of consulting per month. Ends up being a couple grand once taxes are accounted for. I also get paid chump change for MTG events, mostly in credit or product, as a way of monetizing some of my recreational time. It's not much, but it comes out to a few hundred cash equivalent per month on average.

Olscratch

tour de salt
<Banned>
I read recently that nearly half of millennials have some sort of side hustle going on. The first 6 months of this year I ran an Ark:Survival Evolved server which cost about 1,000 and pulled in about 4,000 in donations. I don't have the time with kids anymore.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Ive been thinking of picking something up. My prior boss called me recently to ask if I would be interested in contracting some hours for Server Builds, Network upgrades, etc. Pretty general stuff but his staff sucks and he has approval to contract it out. I could probably bill 20-40 hours a month to him and make some nice side loot. But I would need to set up the business and find time. But its more appealing the more time that goes on. I have a friend who would be interested in going in with me, so we could prbably just spend two weekend days a month drinking beer and doing remote work.

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Ive been thinking of picking something up. My prior boss called me recently to ask if I would be interested in contracting some hours for Server Builds, Network upgrades, etc. Pretty general stuff but his staff sucks and he has approval to contract it out. I could probably bill 20-40 hours a month to him and make some nice side loot. But I would need to set up the business and find time. But its more appealing the more time that goes on. I have a friend who would be interested in going in with me, so we could prbably just spend two weekend days a month drinking beer and doing remote work.

Do it man. I had a relationship like that for a while and it was great for the most part. Thats the part of IT I like, in stead of the day to day help desk bullshit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heylel

Trakanon Raider

Good rule of thumb for contract work: Whatever you want to take home, triple it. If you want to make $25 an hour, bill $75. Accounts for taxes and any overhead you might incur (tools etc.). Just invoice directly, no need to set up a LLC. Take a third and stash it so you're in the clear come tax time.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah I was self-employed as a contractor for about a year while I was still in college. Was not prepared for tax season.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I plan on starting up some side work next year. I want to finish my MS and do the OSCP first then do it up. I know a lot of people who do side work and bill HUGE for it, good opportunity.

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I was self-employed as a contractor for about a year while I was still in college. Was not prepared for tax season.

My wife's second job is a part-time research thing at our alma mater. They weren't taking out Federal tax for the entirety of 2015, so tax season this year was real interesting.

I'll probably end up owing a little bit on my contract work, but not a ton. They give me a W-2, and I have some withholding taken out already. I don't even see the money, it goes straight into our savings, so anything I owe for this year is covered.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Besides outside Consulting , I have in the last 2-3 yrs I started repping and doing distribution and sales for products and materials I use. I am in a small market so sales are spotty, I do it mostly to get wholesale pricing on stuff I use often. i.e. I am my own best customer.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I used to run that racket too. Wholesale pricing on stuff you buy often is the way to go for sure.

• 1Solidarity

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Nice, how is that working out? Is it a room where you live or an investment property you bought just to rent out?

Good. Making anywhere from 60-80k/year (depending on the year). It's our downstairs unit which is completely private.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I read recently that nearly half of millennials have some sort of side hustle going on.

I bet 90% of them are multilevel marketing scams like Thrive, Shakeology, Rodan and Fields, BeachBody, DoTERRA, and all that other horseshit that about 10 millennials that I know are constantly spamming my Facebook with. They may call it a business but none of them actually make money at it.

• 1Solidarity

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I bet 90% of them are multilevel marketing scams like Thrive, Shakeology, Rodan and Fields, BeachBody, DoTERRA, and all that other horseshit that about 10 millennials that I know are constantly spamming my Facebook with. They may call it a business but none of them actually make money at it.

That shit is a plague, I know retired people balls deep in it. I want to shake them to death.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Anytime I feel poor I'll make someone a website for 700-1k.

Usually an ecommerce website that sells something stupid. Than I have to hand-hold them on how to use wordpress, then I ignore them forever.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Heylel

Trakanon Raider
I charge ~$100-150 an hour for accessibility evaluations, and I'm cheap. There just aren't many of us around. I already have the software licenses for the AT I use as a testing suite, so my overhead is basically zero.

• 1Like