Slide Rules & Paleotechnology

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Anyway, I was laughing at a college course requiring calculators, you linked some high school shit. Why?
Because I already proved my point about Stevens and Graphing calculators. If you can't figure out why I linked the AP Calc requirements that you have to have a graphing calculator I don't know what to say except stop smoking weed.

@Mario and when was that?

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Because I already proved my point about Stevens and Graphing calculators. If you can't figure out why I linked the AP Calc requirements that you have to have a graphing calculator I don't know what to say except stop smoking weed.

@Mario and when was that?
Nope, cant figure out what the fuck AP calc requirements have to do with college courses. It might be the weed.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Last semester bro.
Then you guys are fucking geniuses and God bless you for that.

Me I don't have log tables memorized like you guys clearly do so when I get a word problem on (for example) Newton's Law of Cooling if we're say covering Exp Growth and Decay and it turns out that the k in dy/dt = ky = (ln (17/28))/70 (copying straight from Stewart's example here, RL) I unfortunately need to use a calculator to figure out k=-.01663. Them's the breaks, I guess.

But again, kudos to both of you for memorizing log tables.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Your professor actually makes you solve it once you get it into a form that can't be simplified any further?
Either your professor didn't make you solve word problems or you completely misunderstand me when I differentiated (pun intended)above between problems that required numerical solutions (which includes word problems) and problems that didn't (what's the second derivative of y= e^(x tan theta) * x^3 or whatever).

Stone Lithography: Still Around.
rrr_img_79780.jpg

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I just graduated with a BS in computer engineering last year. Every calculus course (1-3) would not allow calculators on exams. I was allowed them in Diff EQ's, but there was no point with the exception of doing some arithmetic for some balance problems. I also took a Numerical Analysis grad course where they weren't allowed even during the class sessions. Took advanced physics math (weird class) which was a lot of bullshit with advanced calculus and physics topics and were not allowed calculators either. My performance and analysis class for computing systems we weren't allowed. I learned not to use one.

I think if I pulled out a slide rule I'd get yelled at too. No one ever asked, there was no point.

What the fuck is this thread about?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So are you a fuckin reptilian or what dude?

Work smarter not harder.

My teachers made us not use calculators, fine whatever. In the real world that's not how it works. My boss doesn't come up to me and go "ok.. solve this complex algorithm... NO CALCULATORS ALLOWED LOL"

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
Either your professor didn't make you solve word problems or you completely misunderstand me when I differentiated (pun intended)above between problems that required numerical solutions (which includes word problems) and problems that didn't (what's the second derivative of y= e^(x tan theta) * x^3 or whatever).
What? I did plenty of word problems. When it came to something like your example, when we got to the point where all that was left was ln(17/28)/70 then that was the final answer. We didn't have to actually calculate the fucking log. Why do that? It's pointless.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
What? I did plenty of word problems. When it came to something like your example, when we got to the point where all that was left was ln(17/28)/70 then that was the final answer. We didn't have to actually calculate the fucking log. Why do that? It's pointless.
x2

And i thought every University would do it like this. Heck a chimp could prolly type that equation into a calculator and get it to work.